Topic: Music From the Living Room

As I've mentioned before, I belong to (and am a board member) of a local non-profit group called the "Foothill Folk Society". Our members are local musicians, artists and others who want to promote and preserve local music and arts as well as give back to the community by being involved in projects like obtaining donations to the local food bank or providing free instruments and music lessons to those who might not otherwise learn to play an instrument.  One of our annual fund-raising events is a winter concert held with the assistance of the Chillicothe, Ohio branch of Ohio University (OUC)

Each year we have a different theme.  This year the theme was "Music From the Living Room", an on-stage simulation of our monthly "munch and jams" in which members gather for three hours the second Sunday of each month to share food and music.We worked in a pretty tight window once OUC gave us the available date, coming up with the theme, finding members who were available to play, obtaining stage props and sound reinforcement, etc.  There was no time for rehearsals and we found ourselves still working on the stage set and positioning mics and stage lights right up 'til the doors opened.

This year a public TV station asked to film the event.  The result was posted on youtube and I've attached a link.  It's pretty lengthy as they ran the camera while people were being seated and Joe Thomas, one of our oldest members, played banjo as a "filler" until the show started.  If you're interested in watching, I suggest jumping to about 22 minutes into the clip to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pca9dHqT-yY

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Music From the Living Room

Left ya  a comment on YT.  I was waiting for your solo, Or did I miss it while scanning through it?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Music From the Living Room

beamer wrote:

Left ya  a comment on YT.  I was waiting for your solo, Or did I miss it while scanning through it?

I played the first vocal song of the night (about 29 minutes into the vid), and only played one song as we weren't sure how long it would take each act to get on stage, move to the positions that were mic'd etc.  It was also a little unsettling as we hadn't ever tried overhead mics before and did not know how the the audience would affect sound reflection, etc.  Anyway, it was my job to be the guinea pig so the sound guy could make last second adjustments. I chose to play a song I wrote last fall called "Hank Williams on my Mind".  I'd played it before for John Victor, the harmonica player - a guy I've played music with for 30 years on river banks around the country as like me, he is a canoer/kayaker/rubber pusher (aka raft guide). As the song only has two verses he suggested opening with a few notes of "Cheatin' Heart" on the harmonica and ending with "I'll Fly Away".  It was one of those impromptu ideas that I thought worked out pretty well.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs