Re: Where Was Your Guitar Made

Classical Guitar wrote:

A lot of them produced in China and Mexico and some other countries, the guitar brand often build their own factories so production is controlled. It should not affect sound and play ability.

I couldn't agree more! If the specs & quality control are being watched, the end product should be virtually identical ... regardless of where a product is made. It's unfortunate that our global economy has highlighted the uneven playing field that workers compete on, but that's an issue for much greater minds than mine to deal with.

27 (edited by jcellini 2017-03-24 17:46:12)

Breedlove master class-USA
Breedlove black magic-Korea
Gibson Les Paul Traditional- USA
Epiphone es 339- Japan
Guild G37SB-USA

28 (edited by beamer 2017-02-28 03:04:54)

Tenement Funster wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:

A lot of them produced in China and Mexico and some other countries, the guitar brand often build their own factories so production is controlled. It should not affect sound and play ability.

I couldn't agree more! If the specs & quality control are being watched, the end product should be virtually identical ... regardless of where a product is made. It's unfortunate that our global economy has highlighted the uneven playing field that workers compete on, but that's an issue for much greater minds than mine to deal with.

Normally there are only 2 issues on the major players who have the foreign lines that creep up, as I notice from personal experience. #1 Pick up quality.  It is hit and miss The diff between my Squire, and the American Strat I played at the store, everything felt the same , but the pickup quality was night and day. (that's why I swap out all my low price guitar pick ups)  #2 the difference between my Epi SG 400 and the Gibson it is made after, body weight. The neck is always heavy in your left hand because you have to hold it up or it drops down. A good non slip strap helps with this. The Gibson I seem to remember being better balanced  and a bit heavier.  But for the prices, I can live with that! smile

Now on the really cheap stuff, neck joints can be a problem and weak necks,, but if you know what you are buying and have read user reviews,, You can get a good playing guitar for under 2 or 300.  (of course by the time I finish souping them up, I probably have added another 125 to the cost LOLOL.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

29 (edited by Alex1445 2017-04-06 11:06:21)

Fender Squire  Indonesia

Music is life

'60s Telecaster USA
Hohner 6 string Japan
Hohner 12 string Korea
'90s Alvarez 5 string ?

I have a Canadian made Art&Lutherie acoustic guitar that sounds very good, I recently purchased a Yamaha mini semi acoustic for when travelling and it is also a very nice sounding guitar.

shari59 wrote:

I have a Canadian made Art&Lutherie acoustic guitar that sounds very good, I recently purchased a Yamaha mini semi acoustic for when travelling and it is also a very nice sounding guitar.

I've played some Art & Lutherie guitars, and they have all seemed very nice to me.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

33 (edited by neophytte 2017-10-11 14:53:53)

My Maton was made in Australia http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156124084275514&set=a.10150249625555514.536798.873000513&type=3&theater#

My PRS was made in USA http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159278724645514&l=c9d4306198

(not sure why pictures not working ..?)

Cheers

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

34 (edited by gtx 2018-06-28 22:25:34)

Crafter bowlback in Korea
EKO Ranger 12 string think late 60s- early 70s in Italy
Takamine G series 2009 in China
1999 Takamine EN 20 in Japan this one sings beautifully

the chordie geordie

35 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-10-11 10:56:51)

Thank you for responding. Each has different guitars and each member has their guitars from different counties.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I've build my own guitars are off course they are great. I was for about 12 years building my guitars at a luthier workshop. That is now a very good friend. I've learned a lot about guitars and now have the best one. I've a guitar for someone else and a few weeks later he told me, that a friend has a expensive Taylor but he found mine guitar better then the Taylor. and I'm a great fan of Taylor.

Best regards from Holland,

Jan van Duren

My guitar is Adams .... dnt know what else. I think that is from China.

Classical Guitar wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

I am so looking forward to the day of JJJ's announcement that he now owns a guitar made on all 7 Continents.

Is there such a thing as Penguin Guitars from Antarctica ?

smile

Your post got me thinking and I just checked and there are some Penguin Guitars.  Here is the link: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/family/penguin

OK. You got me on that one. I do have a Penguin. A Gretsch White Penguin. Nothing from Australia or Canada (that I know of). Most are of the Asian Persuasion. Indonesia to be exact.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

My first guitar was bought back in 1976.  It's something called a Samson, made in Israel.  It's gorgeous in every way, even though it didn't cost much.  I have never been able to find anything out about Samson guitars after searching and searching.  Anyone ever heard of them?

40 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-22 08:57:40)

Welcome to Chordie, 832F ...

I did a bit of digging also, and came up with no info on Samson guitars. There is another Israeli guitar maker (B&G Guitars) which are getting some attention, but that's all I could find. Sounds like you have a rare treasure!

Thanks, Funster!

Welcome to Chordie 832F,

I also did some checking and found some old Sampson guitars for sale but nothing about Samson guitars.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks to you, too, Roger Guppy.  I've since discovered that Yuval is the name of the now-defunct makers of the Samsons from Kibbutz Gadot in Israel.  Pity they stopped making them.  They're lovely instruments.  (Many thanks also to my Mom and Dad who overcame their skepticism of my guitar enthusiasm back in 1976 and forked over the $160 for my beloved, obscure first axe.)  Play on, everyone!

I have a few guitars and one Uke in my collection...

Taylor 314CE (made in the USA) - My current favorite!
Ovation Elite L718 (made in the USA) - It use to be my favorite, until I got the Taylor.
Cortez 12-string acoustic (made in Japan) - An inexpensive model that a friend gave to me.
Fender Stratocaster (made in Mexico) - The sound quality and playability is surprisingly good for a lower priced Strat.
Kala Makala MK-T Ukulele (made in China) - NIce sound quality for an inexpensive Uke.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

832F wrote:

Thanks to you, too, Roger Guppy.  I've since discovered that Yuval is the name of the now-defunct makers of the Samsons from Kibbutz Gadot in Israel.  Pity they stopped making them.  They're lovely instruments.  (Many thanks also to my Mom and Dad who overcame their skepticism of my guitar enthusiasm back in 1976 and forked over the $160 for my beloved, obscure first axe.)  Play on, everyone!

That's terrific that you found out the source of your guitar, and you certainly have a treasured rarity there. It's funny that you mentioned your parents' skepticism in the 70's, 'cuz I went through the same thing ... glad they didn't put their foot down and say "No!" for either of us. big_smile

I've visited Garmisch-Partenkirchen several times and I was there three weeks ago. A beautiful place.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

"HandArbeit" means it was "handmade" (I believe you may have misread the "a" as an "e"), Zurf and "Garmisch b. (bei) Mittenwald" means it was made in the town of Garmisch NEAR Mittenwald. You have yourself a very nice instrument there, my friend!  smile

Your Pal

Bill

PS: My Epi Les Paul Studio is of Japanese manufacture and I'll tell y'all later about a guitar "Santa" sent me...... (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more)  smile smile smile

Epiphone " Joe Pass" Emperor II archtop, Indonesia
Fender Standard Telecaster, Mexico
Guild D62 acoustic, USA, plain looks but lovely sound and easy to play, cost quite a bit 2nd hand     

No kidding - until I read this I always thought that my Alvarez was made in USA     

49 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-11-27 10:19:43)

Polemonium some the  Alvarez  are made in the US, some are made in Japan, and others are made in China. They sell any seconds at a large discount. In Japan and China usually the brand, in this case Alvarez has people in each location to insure quality.  What is the most important thing is how your guitar plays and sounds.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.