Topic: how and when do you decide to change guitar strings

Is it true, and justified to change strings, when you start to notice that your guitar, played everyday during 15 minutes, starts to "detune" when the strings are older, OR is this dependent from the structure of the tuning knobs, like cluson.
I still have difficulties to replace chords, and this after 30 years of playing.
Are there devices to help putting a string and winding it.
REASONS TO CHANGE CHORDS???
- the aspect of the chord: more rusty, more dirty?
- does a used chord affects the sound?
- are there chordians, changing strings after a certain, fixed time, like after okayed the strings for 100 hour?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: how and when do you decide to change guitar strings

hi gitaardoc, I change strings every month if I donĀ“t have any gig in the month. If I have one or two gigs a month I will change them all two weeks. Because I think the guitar sounds better with new strings. you have more sustain with new strings.
I play my guitars `til two hours a day and after two weeks the sound of the strings loose their intonation, I think and so I change the strings latest after 4 weeks.

St800

Let

if you slacken your strings after you have finished with your giutar they wont stretch and so will last you longer, i change mine only when i get a dead string,why change them just for the sake of it...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi st800, we are neighbours I see, I live near Brussels, my sister lives in Berlin.
I liked to know a little bit more about you, like age, where you live, and of course what kind of music you are in. Including: what brand of guitar you use? and about strings, what brand is your favourite brand. I own approximately 25 guitars, 2 FENDERS (1 telecaster California Beach 1952 reissue, you don't find them anymore, and with such a simplicity, such a sound) 1 1964 original stratocaster, but I am more a PRS freak, and my acoustics: Gibsons and Martins.
Do you play often, and is it reading your opinion, recommended to change every month? meaning do you hear the difference.
Other question concerning accessories: do you have a device like BOSS BR 600, to record your own music or do you use other material, I really want some info because I play almost 30 years, and the time is there to lift me up to tyhe next level, tired of playing alone, or with a friend, by "trying to record" my music (from ballads: most, to more heavy rock) and with the compact flash card, I like to put my music on my PC. But what I need 300% is a program you can use to correct "false" notes in singing and guitar, cut and paste, without starting to record 500 times the same song: can you give me some advise?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

5 (edited by Bo diddley 2007-08-18 09:08:58)

I play about 3 hours a day, and found I have to replace my strings about once every 4-5 weeks to keep the sound quality. I think it depends on your ear, how long you play on them, and the quality of the strings, and if you clean them regular to how often  they will need changing.

I have found that if you buy good quality strings like the 'ELIXIR' they will last three times as long, i.e. you only have to change them once every three months, rather than one month for the same amount of playing. they are super fine too, I can really recommend these stings, you get a good quality sound, well that combined with my 'Turner' electro acoustic I have just got which is really sweet!

Insanity is just a natural adaption to an insane world.