Topic: carpal tunnel syndrome

oh no ,i thought that numbness  in fingers was a sign of age but have been diagnosed with this.anyone had the op and not suffered afterwards? mean a whole lot to find out the after effects of this op.

My first guitar was a Hofner Colourama no 1 .I paid £6.10s for it as there were wires poking out instead of a Jack socket.soon fixed played it through a 15 w Caravell amp.loved guitars ever since I was 14 1960.now old and grey but Hey love my Gretsch it will last longer than me!!!!

Re: carpal tunnel syndrome

My instructor in college was diagnosed with cts and retaught him myself to play in such a way that it didn't stress his wrists or hands.  It can be done! You just need to listen to your body and eliminate bad habits such as playing w guitar too low, bad posture, etc.

I had my right hand done 30 years ago followed by the left hand one month later.  I had full use of both hands fairly quickly but it took several months before I felt like I had full strength in my hands.  30 years later I still have not had any problems since I had the the operation performed.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-03-22 08:55:21)

Welcome to Chordie, ARDNAS!

I hope whatever therapy you choose for your CTS gives you positive results. As life goes on, these kinds of things rear their heads and give us new obstacles to overcome. Arthritis  has affected my finger-speed quite a bit, but as BGD has properly said, we can always adapt and find other (more efficient) ways of playing. I've personally found that the neck angle matters a lot, i.e., 45-degree angled upwards, and not level with the floor.

Keep at it ... we hope a serious health issue like this doesn't compromise your enjoyment of playing.

i had the op on right hand yesterday wow 9 minuits and it was done numbness now worn off can move my fingers anyway i want,still heavily bandaged but looking very very positive even though the surgeon said it was very severe anyone out ther having doubts, its  a lot easier than a dental filling. as im right handed,i have the same op on my left hand in june and no worries at all.i hope these posts help anyone suffering from c.t.s.

My first guitar was a Hofner Colourama no 1 .I paid £6.10s for it as there were wires poking out instead of a Jack socket.soon fixed played it through a 15 w Caravell amp.loved guitars ever since I was 14 1960.now old and grey but Hey love my Gretsch it will last longer than me!!!!

Good news.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-04-13 09:38:43)

That's terrific news, ARDNAS ... it's a nice way to be surprised, when things go so well. Hope the other hand goes smooth too!

thank you i should thank the team at blackpool victoria hospital blackpool lancashire u.k. the surgeon mr jared. oh sorry about caps noexplanation required!!