1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-05-16 10:03:30)

Topic: What is Talent?

The post in this week's "Tuesdays Flying Fingers" is by a young lady from Latvia (Laura Lace), who looks to be in her mid teens. It's got me wondering (again) about how talent like this can develop in a person so young.  There are many other phenomenal young people out there who just make wish I'd taken up Tiddly-Winks and not guitar.

What do you think? The ability to play well seems to come from 3 sources:

1) Aptitude ... some people do seem to have a real knack for things
2) Training ... whether self-taught, or taught by another, there are skills and techniques to be learned
3) Attitude ... some people seem to have the drive & discipline to practice, practice, practice, until they have it

These probably aren't in even proportions (33% - 33% - 33%), so what do you think the proportions are?

2 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-05-16 11:06:25)

Re: What is Talent?

TF
I believe that you left out an important component........ physical ability.....  some people have the coordination, mental capacity, and physical attributes that are  special.

ironically, I was just thinking about this last night.... what sets the greatest of all time apart from the others ?.......
For singers - I believe it's that special voice.... there are a million great singers ( which I'm certainly not one of! smile  ).... but there's only one Pavarotti, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Barbara Streisand, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, Freddy Mercury, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, John Lennon. Ray Charles  and Aretha Franklin.  ( And I know there are more!)
These are the voices that you don't need to look on the screen to see who's singing...instant recognition because of their unique sound.

The same goes for guitarists.......  there are loads of great guitarists, but the ones that had the ability to make that guitar sing in a special and unique way, they are the ones that stand apart from the others.   

Very similar to greatest Athletes of all time - same criteria.

I also believe that emotion/ personality / charisma comes into play  - while I was very, very impressed with this young lady's performance - I thought it was emotionally deprived.  I love the musicians that exhibit  passion and excitement for that the song they are playing or singing, and show that it  really means something to them. Hers came off as a musician that practiced and practiced, nailed the mechanics beautifully... but lacked the heart and soul of the music.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the thought provoking thread - I'm sure it will get some responses. smile
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Don't forget resources. Sad to say but lots of kids in developing nation may have all the aptitude, attitude, and training in the world but without the resources (money to buy an instrument, time to practice, etc) talent is not able to be expressed.

I'd add effort to the list.

My daughters have aptitude for music. One remembers lyrics and melody seemingly effortlessly.  The other is good with rhythm and lyrics. But neither one likes to practice.  So I tell them frequently, "You have talent. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

My daughters have aptitude for music. One remembers lyrics and melody seemingly effortlessly.  The other is good with rhythm and lyrics. But neither one likes to practice.  So I tell them frequently, "You have talent. But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

We are working on this one with the 10-year-old right now. He's smart and gifted and LAZY. Trying to get the kid to work for more than the bare minimum is tricky.

Baldguitardude wrote:
Zurf wrote:

We are working on this one with the 10-year-old right now. He's smart and gifted and LAZY. Trying to get the kid to work for more than the bare minimum is tricky.

We're having that same challenge with our eldest. We keep trying to teach her how to get good results, but she's more interested in skating by on the minimum. Now there are times for skating by on the minimum.  Some things you just smile and nod your way through until it's time to go. But not with EVERYTHING.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I think the trick is getting them started young.   Kids have no idea about what "can't" be done, they just know they're having a good time, and if they're encouraged, "talent" will grow naturally.

I've said of the new baby that "I don't ever want her to remember a time when she didn't make music."  And I mean that.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Got them started young.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/221081_219314558094343_622670_o.jpg?oh=1aa8f2795e1b144309a93688add689e8&oe=59778F34

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s720x720/220862_217168151642317_1310389_o.jpg?oh=b5ed50c080700f1b3a79c930e7b6aede&oe=59A59139

The youngest thought that Jambalaya required ballet dancing.  It probably did.

10 (edited by easybeat 2017-05-16 23:45:46)

Great question,i haven`t a clue what talent is or how it comes about.( i wouldn`t mind some)
one thing i do know is the big artists aren`t always the best artists.
they do something that appeals to a awful lot of people.
They are just the ones that thru luck or persistance/hard work,  opportunity  have
made it.
I heard Michael Buble` say there`s plenty of better singers than he,but he`s had the breaks.
and considers himself very grateful.
Just need to go online to see brilliant music/artists that goes virtually unnoticed.

The King Of Audio Torture

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-05-17 00:48:12)

Lots of great things to ponder ... isn't that one of the best things about music?

TIG ... I hear ya about physical ability, which is part of what I had in mind when I mentioned "Aptitude". I should've defined it more clearly. Your observation about emotion is well taken. As good as Ms. Lace is (and a lot of others) her performance is a bit "sterile" ... could be a case of being camera shy / stage fright / don't know.

BGD ... you're totally correct about effort, which is also part of what I was thinking under "Attitude". People with the right attitude will tend to work harder at things. And your comment about resources is also (sadly) true.

Personally, I've never invested the time in truly serious, methodical, and consistent practice. Running a 3-location business with 75 employees, raising a family, community involvement, and having a bunch of other equally-enjoyable hobbies (fishing, kayaking, wood working, reading, etc.) all require time. And that is our one non-renewable resource.

TF I think the thing with having talent is it is something people are born with in differant degrees. What most probably is the add on is how hard you want to work at your given talent. Is this something you do for yourself or others. I know talented muscians that love music but their passion to work  hard at something takes them in other directions. One of my Aunties was an example she was a very gifted painter. Her passion was teaching young women Science and Maths. When she retired from teaching she started to paint pictures to sell, She made more money doing that than she did teaching. I asked her once why didnt you sell paintings when you were teaching. Her answer was, When i was teaching it was something I loved and the paintings I did were done with love. I would give the odd one away to someone but I would never sell any of them. Now Im retired from teaching I have developed expensive tastes and I know my paintings sell. I paint with the dollar in mind to fund the things I truley enjoy. I  enjoyed my teaching career it was my vocation in life  and I would never had swaped it to become a full time or part time artist. My point is just because a person has a talent for music doesn' t always mean that becomes their  main focus in life. I heard an interview on the radio a while back with Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. The interviewer asked him what sort of music does he listen to relax. His answer years ago I could answered that with a wide selection of music. Now days when Im not working doing music when at home music is the last thing I want to hear. I have developed other passions.