1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-06-13 20:43:12)

Topic: Careful With Your Online Musical Purchases That Offer Free Shipping

in another topic, I mentioned getting the Markley pickup for Amy''s guitar and the pickup being too wide.

Okay so today I (having obtained an authorization first) packed it up, took it to the USPS and sent it  off. Cost $7.99.

When I called this company's customer service person, I was given to understand that they would now refund my cost MINUS $5.99 to offset their "free" shipping.

"Okay", I thought to myself. "I should have measured first, so this is my fault."

But then I had an epiphany: "What about that $7.99 you just spent on shipping, Bill? Are you gonna have to eat that?"

Yup. I'm gonna have to eat that, and THEY get to keep the $5.99.

Bottom line: I lost $7.00. Right?

Be careful!

"Opie"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Careful With Your Online Musical Purchases That Offer Free Shipping

Bill, there's an old American saying;

YOU GET NOTHING FOR NOTHING.

We have a mail order company that sells things with "free shipping" that is they send it to you cost free. If it's not suitable eg too small and you need to return it you have to pay for the return. They have to make money somehow, don't they?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Don't mind paying for the return. Just don't want to pay for it twice. Way I see it, it cost me half what the pick-up is worth in order to find out it doesn't fit, and they get to re-sell it.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Great thread, Bill ...

Living here in l'il ol' rural Nova Scotia, we're confined to doing a fair bit of on-line shopping (availability) and things like freight costs, currency exchange, duties etc. are an expensive nuisance. I don't know what the answer is, because vendors do incur shipping costs, so someone has to pay them. I guess the best defense is to buy local when / if possible, and do homework on the additional costs before buying on-line.

Like the song says....

There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed,
Ain't nothing in this world for free...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]