Topic: Some times it is how you play

I am convinced a really good player can take a cheap guitar and make it sound great. It is also the better players who want the best guitars. I personally know  players who started on a very cheap mass produced guitars and play some wonderful music.

Do you buy the best?  Do you still have your first guitar?

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Some times it is how you play

Class Guitar
yeah i`ve still got first guitar.
yes i do buy the best as i need all the help i can get.
also there`s something sexy about a nice looking quality guitar.

The King Of Audio Torture

I am not a good Guitar player and don't have my first guitar. I do find that with cheap guitars there is more of a need to play to its strong points.
Where as with a quality instrument its tone will sometimes make your playing sound better I play mostly cheap guitars and occasionally I will play a friends expensive guitar's to get another sound. Though at the moment I am hardly playing at all due to health issues. As a kid my Daddy alway said a good guitarplayer can get some sort of tune out any guitar. I will attach a link to a guy playing a shovel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g

Yep. Still have my first guitar; a 1982 Epiphone PR650. All laminate. Until about  3 years ago I was still using it for my everyday guitar; along with the 82 Alvarez 12 string. When I started playing  again I was about a year into it and decided I wanted something with better tone. I picked up an Eastman fairly cheap. Played that for about a year and then stumbled into a mid-grade Martin. That's my main guitar now. But I would put my 35 year old, $350 Alvarez up against any $2000 guitar for tone quality. Sitka Spruce top. Mahogany B&S. It just sings.

So to answer your question, no. I don't need nor desire a very expensive guitar. smile

Unfortunately I do not have my first guitar. Christmas 1958 both my brother and I received a plastic 'Elvis Presley' guitar but here is a photo of us with them:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4322/36257127095_95f0f848ff.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I don't have any expensive guitars, with my Cordoba being the highest priced at $1,000. Neither the price tag nor the brand name make a guitar necessarily "good", but rather the construction, the materials used, etc. I think it's important to learn about these things so an informed decision can be made. From there, the fit and sound make the difference. My ears tell me that an all-solid-wood acoustic sounds a lot better than ones made partially or completely of laminates. That usually increases the price, but to me it's worth it for the full sound and overtones.

I have to give a "shout out" to Epiphone. These guys make some seriously good electrics at affordable prices, and often with many of the components that Gibson uses. The finishing may be slightly less pristine, but that's just cosmetic. My first all solid-wood acoustic is my Norman, bought in 1973 ... still has a great voice, and nice wide neck (1.8") like my Cordoba.

Thank each of you who responded.  Roger Guppy you have to be the first to show your first guitar from Christmas 1958 and a good photo too.  TF Cordoba makes some great classical guitars so I am guessing at the price you mentioned it is a great guitar. I played a Cordoba C10 and really liked it and will place an order for one this week. The one  played had amazing sound.

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-31 11:13:17)

I certainly agree with you about Cordoba guitars, CG. I had never really heard of them until I started looking for an all-wood acoustic with a wide neck. The combo of their Spanish heel construction, plus solid Indian Rosewood and Englemann Spruce top really make the 5th and 7th harmonic overtones ring out ... adds a nice "shimmer" is the only way I can describe it.

Classical Guitar wrote:

Thank each of you who responded.  Roger Guppy you have to be the first to show your first guitar from Christmas 1958 and a good photo too.  TF Cordoba makes some great classical guitars so I am guessing at the price you mentioned it is a great guitar. I played a Cordoba C10 and really liked it and will place an order for one this week. The one  played had amazing sound.

Here's a "university days" pic of me with an old Ibanez acoustic I had back then, a Jethro Tull poster behind me, and the Funster name on the lower bout of the guitar. I have no idea what I was screeching / singing at the time.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1vjt_Rl8TkNx2I0wHJCUv8wPXPvU5dXdDorkF498A4cirfk7lqkMEi9H5xxf3OOQEakrx2E5oQvIEyvktsTYJWCRiKHox9UtqAGZBQztVMcHG_N9TrhaCvdiP5i5oVl9udOgubgZ9C81jG6XlIZNuzkCdl5A9qOhH9DybDbtCxKb9CqJvoSIzy0xz50L3bLlYViTYReeYaXWJyPnK1kEUqCdMii0h8prUae_N-Q3kjgI7S8RX17KLcx9UJLAX_mHVYc9CDZFlO2aSKoJIXjB9nomNXlKH7GdB5J-o75h6Cs5cIdOpz7c8KbB_vPcqjEiP7pmTpKB4RIyDQZs1JQB2hwpaUMcmVR2Rb858JQQ0I1-sM4KhFkeAeV2CWIiEunjOK5Dx9GatV27YEPYoeta4sK817oWI9YakiHpkRfK7dnd_FUcCMsy1sjIQHRY_qcRSR6VH4E_NPq1149h4DcAqBnYs2xs-z9ZCUS9QtAa2Hyl-zikXHfUkS2UQX5v0fudJfj5HxtYzbelEHHubZrxJc5c8StMoUQM2j0Nw0bM7aRY7lBbMS6Y8mNlHRmWBp3dM1ct_i_BP9X2kRTzzTHFoFULUaGzfh_XM9Lo0JmK6JnrL-HeBvnnXao2=w1072-h810-no

I still have my first guitar.  Plays great.

Putting an expensive guitar in my hands would be like (to quote an old cowboy movie) putting a thirty-dollar saddle on a ten-dollar horse.

I don't have my first guitar, in fact I don't have the first 10 or so I've owned.  Being on a tight budget, I usually sold the one I had to buy another one.  I learned to play when a co-worker gave me a guitar. (I gave it back when I bought my first one). so in later years when I had more money, aside from the $300-$500 guitars I was playing,  I would occasionally find a cheap used acoustic, re-work it, play it for a while and then give it away to someone that wanted to learn to play. I've also given three of my better guitars to my son and a couple to my oldest grandson. Right now I have 5 acoustics, a couple 000 size 12 frets, a 000 14 fret and a couple dread naughts for when I get together with my bluegrass picking buddies.  They range from $350 - $1700 (I bought the $1700 used for $1000). Unfortunately none of them have made me play better smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I do not have my first guitars either. I first bought a LP copy by Masada.  80 bucks long b4 the availability of Internet  Deals like GFS or Rhonda.  It was in pretty pore shape but I loved it.  Then my first acoustic guitar was some type of Yamaha I bought from th e friend who taught me to play.   Like DE, I sold and swapped guitar a lot in my young man days.  I don't think I have paid more than 400 for any guitar.  That would be my EPI SG 400. My most valuable guitar is my 70s Ovation 12 string.   I like to buy sub-200 guitars and upgrade to what I am trying for tone wise and visually. Newest Acoustic is my Takamine.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer that is a good way to move up. It was not my first classical guitar but one I had for 45 years and was still in great condition. I ended up giving it to my grandson when I started teaching him to play. He has one more year now in high school and he can play any piece I want him to play. He was a natural and worked hard. I knew for some reason I kept this one and am happy he likes so much. Even after keeping it 45 years it still has the original frets. I have never had to replace a single one yet.

Tenement Funster   I liked the happy look on your face while playing guitar in your early picture.

i bought my first guitar from a guy in school at the age of 14. it cost 5 shillings and it lasted a week before it snapped in half as i tightened the strings too much. my 2nd was the same model (i didn't know any better) but i also got a tuner with it so it lasted a while. my 1st electric was a zenta and i have a picture of me playing it somewhere when i'd cut my hand open, better if i'd cut the guitar open. then a couple of others till i bought the strat which i still have.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

14 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-07-31 23:44:49)

I'm sure I've posted this somewhere but have no idea where.

This is my first guitar; the one described above.  I bought it in 1982 for $160. That was an entire weeks take home pay for me at the time. I made a $40 down payment in April and then $40 a month. Brought it home in July. That white mark on the front is from the camera flash. It still looks almost as good as it did the day I brought it home; which is a miracle considering it went with me on the road when I was following The Dead up and down the East Coast for 7 years.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/36297768835_83065f0e31_c.jpgP1010647 by

unclejoesband it does still looks good. I remember that type of case. It was the only one available for many years. Your photo is good. I bought a new camera to take of photo of the one I made and with the flash it still looks completely washed out. No matter how I have tried to do a photo all I can get is a washout and it does not look like the guitar I built. I thought is was sounding batter however it still does not sound like what I wanted. I will pick a better day and try to get it more in direct sun light and not use the flash and see if it looks better than it sounds.

16 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-01 09:52:42)

That's a nice ol' Epiphone, UJB ...

I love seeing the wear marks on the fretboard from years of use. My Norman came with a case like that, but it eventually fell apart and had to be replaced. With all of the different shapes and sizes of guitars, there really isn't a "one size fits all" anymore.

Tenement Funster wrote:

My Norman came with a case like that, but it eventually fell apart and had to be replaced.

That pic is about 4-5 years old. You can't tell but the case is coming apart. The bottom is separated from the sides. I had to replace it a couple years ago.

I spent $100 for a hard case back in the day so it had better protection for the road trips. Still have that case but the Alvarez 12 string lives in it now. I'll have to take a picture of it. It's rather road weary.

I have given away a lot of my guitars, so I don't have my first one.  The one that I really started to "get it" on was a Yamaha classical I gave to my sister.  I play it sometimes when I visit her.  The other one, the first steel string acoustic I had - Ol' Reliable - I gave to my neighbor.  He plays it a lot and I get to hear it often, which is nice.  I also have his daughter a small size travel guitar I had laying around, so I get to hear that from time to time too. 

I am not a very good player.  It's all cowboy chords and picking patterns with me.  I need to learn to use partial chords in the CAGED style and also figure out more about playing melodies across chord shapes.  I think I'm going to need a teacher for those, but not sure I can take the expense right now with eight years of college payments starting right around the corner.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

19 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-08-02 00:31:07)

UJB

Were you at Nassau Collesium in the late  1980's when the Dead played in Long Island. I was there - it was awesome.

I was staying in a hotel about two blocks away -  they locked the doors because all the " dead heads ' infiltrated and took all the TP out of the lavs smile  smile smile

Inside the Collesium, the "smoke"  was so thick - people in the shit nose bleed seats probably couldn't even see Jerry and the band by mid-concert.

Great times , Great friggin times !!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

UJB

Were you at Nassau Collesium in the late  1980's when the Dead played in Long Island. I was there - it was awesome.

I was staying in a hotel about two blocks away -  they locked the doors because all the " dead heads ' infiltrated and took all the TP out of the lavs smile  smile smile

Inside the Collesium, the "smoke"  was so thick - people in the shit nose bleed seats probably couldn't even see Jerry and the band by mid-concert.

Great times , Great friggin times !!

Nope. I was in Buffalo, Syracuse, Saratoga, Rochester and Utica for shows but never went into the big city.

Yeah. A lot of smoke. smile

You should pop into Amy's this weekend. We can play some Dead tunes together. http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4596.gif

Sorry CG. We seem to be drifting off your topic here.

Yes I buy the best I have a Gibson Les Paul, Tele and a Strat and several lesser brands but I can play on any guitar your talent always comes to the top, no brag just the facts

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding I agree with you. With my normal 6 guitars that are the top of the line in Yamaha Classical I just received the Cordoba C10 and love the sound, not better than the Yamaha just different.. I also bought 6 Yamaha 40 to stock for new students as starter guitars.I always bought them at a great price and I charge my students what I paid. I fairly recently started using one of them and practice on it for several weeks. It is one of the cheapest and most mass produced Yamaha ever made. It  has low action and sounds good. It is a full size classical and all sides are laminated and when I play it, it still sounds good.

Just to mention it the Cordoba C10 and all Cordoba classical has truss rods and is the only classical I have played that has truss rods. I always felt and still do that if they are built properly truss rods are not needed. ( I know that steel string guitars need truss rods because of stings pressure.)

23 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-08-04 00:17:09)

unclejoesband wrote:

I spent $100 for a hard case back in the day so it had better protection for the road trips. Still have that case but the Alvarez 12 string lives in it now. I'll have to take a picture of it. It's rather road weary.

As promised.

In the lower right corner you can just make out the road rash. Some knucklehead put it under the car  (a '72 Chrysler New Yorker) to "keep it out of the sun." I tried backing up a couple times and wasn't moving. I'm thinking there must be a small rock (stone parking lot) behind the tire. I pulled forward a foot or so and gave it a little gas while I was backing up for the third time. Stopped dead. I get out of the car to see why I can't move. The $100 I spent on that case paid for itself that day. The original chip board case would have collapsed under the weight of that 3500lb tank I was driving. I started throwing stickers on it to cover up the damage.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4352/36222388321_27c65493c8_c.jpgP1030141 by , on Flickr

The one consideration (if I may) about truss rods in acoustic guitars, is the way wood constantly interacts with humidity. Where we live, we spend half of the year above 80% Relative Humidity, and the other half below 35%. Even with the dehumidifier running in the summer, and a humidifier running in the winter, trying to keep the music room room at that optimal 55% RH is challenging. The truss rod offers that extra bit of adjustment (if needed) to keep the playing action right.

Just my two-cents worth ...

Classical Guitar wrote:

Just to mention it the Cordoba C10 and all Cordoba classical has truss rods and is the only classical I have played that has truss rods. I always felt and still do that if they are built properly truss rods are not needed. ( I know that steel string guitars need truss rods because of stings pressure.)

UJB ... that's a great account of your guitar case doing an amazing job ... above & beyond the call of duty! The scrapes are permanent badges of honor, and worthy of their own song.

(okay, okay ... I'm starting to sound like a Klingon lol)