1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-24 21:36:31)

Topic: New Amp Day

It's finally completed!

I took my old Peavey ValveKing VK212 combo apart, build separate cabinets for the electronics and the speakers, and put it back together. It's got a bigger warmer sound than the Peavey originally did, owing to the solid pine / closed back / ported design, as opposed to the Peavey's original melamine cabinet.

And I had to be a bit self indulgent, by having a friend with a lazer cutter make me a "TF" badge for it. big_smile

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VHbBD_qfr40E4OyOIUy9DnPyDTlVOdfGAvlsMK36Un7A-pYAHoYFPbcNm9xMxYLeRKDrfukjU6b1Xzy4c55CkDg-7upEyCiPLy6gB-t-VbeVRxOLD0FzKj6aUFh4W4aMAtrVhpyhXENvfErqMbKQ7bdO_tLJBdpOghluw2Yv7vVrTsH7TUr13iN6qcKXL7XFmRjwsfcq8_zc512oQ_z-XU0kFEC0zJqqa8wfTBdnU0ZFvQcGv87VEEaQY-cka589tG3rGkDsMmXJLbh5EB5F7Kfnny6GZ4mT7QsGf8UN31mOlcFG8w9FZ7z-1oFD9jPFl_BBWAQotsZmDXhGUdgYzz-SrG6zdxlJ1sFrMFQmLTwvpVSFrTTl37ZqhT2SiQY1aj1Ccdqmw7byv0CW1HksqHhHWqQGchB1H0BONUKdmIE4K2KM2fPiVftxyewy2-Sv5N0m_3hvoJBxFSsr_O23333THmBoGSGp6GfrDibiF0cdhMkBfUyLq41GFcVRauB0OzM36GekN3SNFbjOs7LZVVL7JY72M0Ru19LPYdApkEm8Z9N8a-boRJ8m7wCSqhfIdFgA6aQwAGnVMpKFeeU-JSbEC9NmBwaR2NWZkiJemtlOLGoTysV3dPFY=w456-h810-no

Re: New Amp Day

Looks great TF!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow that is a great looking . Shows a lot of planning. You could most likely produce that plan for others too. The wood makes the look. The TF adds to it too.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

WOW! That's an eye catcher.

Nicely done.

That looks sexy! You've done a brilliant job. How portable is it? As an aside, you're other half would probably allow you to leave it in the sitting room....for easy access?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-25 09:46:28)

Thanks for the feedback everyone ... it was a fun project. It had been a long time since I made half-blind dovetail joints, so I'm gratified that it worked out. The coloration is a wipe on / off black MinWax product, covered with several layers of gloss water-based urethane. The handle pockets on each side have the inside cut out, so that they double as sound ports.

Phill Williams wrote:

That looks sexy! You've done a brilliant job. How portable is it? As an aside, you're other half would probably allow you to leave it in the sitting room....for easy access?

The original weighed close to 80 lbs, and these components weigh a little over 40 lbs each. It's much easier to lug if I want, although my 50-watt Traynor is what I usually take with me to a jam session. My wife and I are "empty nesters" but are still in the home we raised our family, i.e., lots of space. I have a 12' x 18' room in the basement, where the guitars, piano, amps, TV, sound system, etc. all live. My dearest also has a vacated bedroom upstairs, which I retro-fitted for her hobbies (H/O-scale dollhouse miniatures) so we can enjoy our own play spaces.

Beautiful.

Tenement Funster wrote:

I have a 12' x 18' room in the basement, where the guitars, piano, amps, TV, sound system, etc. all live.

Most of us would just call it "My Studio" LOLOL  or the MAN ROOM.

That rig looks great and I  really like the TF . I bet it does sound warmer with all the wood around it!  How about a sound test on sound cloud? gotta get dirty with it also!
A+ on fit and finish!

Beamer. (the Resident Metalizer)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Glad you like it, Beamer ... you gave me the inspiration when you put your "Triumph" badge on your amp ... got me thinking.

Mommy that's the one I want !  Ha!  Nice work TF.

Wow, just wow!!!
If there was an emoji on here jealous, I'd use it here

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Wow, just wow!!!

Thanks, TIG ...

I learned why most amp manufacturers use Tolex cabinet covering and grille cloth: the process of wood finishing was the most time consuming part of this. The next one will be a single 12" speaker cabinet to go with a Traynor "Iron Horse" amp head I've been ogling. It's a 40-watt all-tube set up, so the pairing will be compact, portable, and plenty powerful enough.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--Kl9qeiJe--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1482270118/fzsilokdtkrn6jybj5to.jpg

VERY nice good work on the amp TF smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Tenement Funster wrote:

Glad you like it, Beamer ... you gave me the inspiration when you put your "Triumph" badge on your amp ... got me thinking.

LOLOL Awesome.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Tenement Funster wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

Wow, just wow!!!

Thanks, TIG ...

I learned why most amp manufacturers use Tolex cabinet covering and grille cloth: the process of wood finishing was the most time consuming part of this. The next one will be a single 12" speaker cabinet to go with a Traynor "Iron Horse" amp head I've been ogling. It's a 40-watt all-tube set up, so the pairing will be compact, portable, and plenty powerful enough.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--Kl9qeiJe--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1482270118/fzsilokdtkrn6jybj5to.jpg

Idea to think about.  instead of a single 12, ( as that 40 W Valve will blow the doors off it! big_smile  )  have you thought about either 2X10 or maybe  a minie top cab with 4 X 8" ? that would look pretty Rad. or 4x6 (although usually reserved for Bass cabs, it would save space.  I used to have a Crate G20C amp that came with 2 x 6" so actually you could make a pretty compact 4X6 with a slant top if you are feeling froggy smile and have a nice portable set up.
here is a YT link with a G20C its wired in stereo.  the guy is not really showing the best ability of that amp, but I used to play some pretty heavy stuff with that and my stomp box.  point being that a mini cab would be really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUPaa9MRIU

Good suggestions, Beamer ...

I actually have thought about a 2 x 10, done with the speakers slanting back ... something like this:

http://mojocabs.com/index_files/Mojotone-Special-Design-Angled-Cabinet-image.jpg

The goal would be to make something very portable, so a single 12" with a good power rating (60w or above) would also work. Either way, I'd use a full metal grille front, the same as what's on the Traynor "lunchbox".

Russell_Harding wrote:

VERY nice good work on the amp TF smile

Thanks, Russell ... you're the "mod king" on Chordie, so I certainly appreciate your feedback (and my new amp's lol)

18 (edited by beamer 2017-08-01 16:40:16)

That still is kinda bulky, but the monitor set up is nice.till you want to mic it.  Although that comment is  a SWAG big_smile   (If you dont know the acronym, ill PM you lolol)
I am still a fan of the 4 x 6 just cause I like the idea of the mini stack top cab.  What I meant as a angled cab was more in line with a top Marshall "A cab" type look. Because you always have the option of building a flat faced bottom to match  big_smile. Although 2 flats look coolieo too!  And with your Logo it will be the bees knees!

Still with a 12",  you have the option of the stack that way also(Yep like Marshall once again)  all up to you though im just tossing my likes  and opinion into the mix LOLOLOL

Then again there is this option, and just re-badge it with your TF, BTW I ran my 5W Bugera valve amp through this,, Its a amazing sounding cab!  You can probably find one up there or just across the border.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i … kEQAvD_BwE

More good ideas, Beamer ...

Sounds like you need to invest in some word-working tools yourself! lol Another idea I had was to build something that closely resembles a bread machine for JJJ. A person's imagination is really the only limit.