Topic: Blues music

Okay so recently i've been expanding my musical tastes a bit, and even though i've always liked john lee hooker and bb king (and a lot of people who've mixed in blues with thier own music) ive never been really educated on blues music. i love the sound but i'm not sure where to start so the question is:

Who are some legendary blues artists i should look into?
like i said i know john lee and bb, and even some fats domino and ray charles and more really soul people.....

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Blues music

Magic Sam
Howlin' Wolf
Sam & Dave
Anson Thunderburg (current rather than legendary, but very, very good and working on legendary)
Buddy Guy
Otis Redding (more Soul, but a major influence for many)
Junior Wells
Arthur Crudup
Luther Allison
Stevie Ray Vaughan

That'll get you started.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Chech out these blues artists,

Joe Turner

Leroy Carr

Tampa Red

Barbeque Bob

Champion Jack Dupree

Robert Johnson

Sonny Terry and Brownie Maghee

Blind Willie McTell

Blind Boy Fuller

Blind Lemon Jefferson

Lonnie Johnson

Big Bill Broonzy

Leadbelly

Muddy Waters

Charlie Musselwhite

Just a few I listen to

Have a good day....Badeye.

one caper after another

whoa lol awesome

Thanks yall i think this'll keep me busy for a while.

Oh I can't forget Sam "Lighting" Hopkins, one of my favorites.

.....Badeye.

one caper after another

Albert Collins, Robert Cray, and Johnny Copeland released "Showdown" in 1985. 3 finer blues guitarists would be hard to find and these guys recorded together on the same release!!! Allen Batts plays organ, Johnny B. Gayden is on bass, and Casey Jones is the drummer. Collins, Cray, and Copeland share the lead vocal duties and they each pretty much take turns soloing, It's a very interesting listen and spans the blues spectrum. Collins is real twangy, treble strong, and intense. Copeland is mellow and as smooth as silk. Cray is a combination of the two with a tad of contemporary jazz, texas blues, and exquisite sublety. You wanna listen to some damn good blues, listen to this recording.........

Give everything but up.

For modern slide guitar, be sure to check out some of Bonnie Raitt's albums prior to her 'overnight' success.  She had a twenty year recording career behind her before her 'overnight' success, and there's some awful slick slide guitar work in it. 

There's a tribute album to Stevie Ray Vaughan that has Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, and Bonnie Raitt all playing SRV songs.  The last song is a jam that started with a Jimmie Vaughan lick where the others jumped in.

Also, for a particular beachy/minor blues sort of feel check out Booker T and the MGs.  Steve Cropper on rhythm and lead guitar and Duck Dunn on bass - yowzer. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hey yall
just went out and bought a muddy waters cd, and downloaded some howlin' wolf and bo diddley, and i think otis redding and idk a whole bunch of other stuff. Did some reading on the blues at wiki too....
thanks to evrybody for the help big_smile

If you're looking for the historical beginnings, there are a couple of legends you shouldn't miss.

Son House.
Leadbelly.
Robert Johnson.

Those guys pretty much birthed the thing.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Tommy Castro
Johnny Lang
Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Albert & Freddy King
Jimmy Reed