Topic: SEPTEMBER 2017 FSOTM -ANOTHER CHALLENGE MONTH!

Ok - so we are going to have another Challenge Month just like last month.   Why you may well ask?, well, due to the lateness of getting this month’s FSOTM up and running and because it was fun!

How's the Challenge Month work?  Here's how we'll try this one...
1. Pick a song, any song you like... cover it... upload... challenge!
2. Take that challenge!  Try to cover the one before you, and offer up another song as a challenge if you like!
3. Snowball out of control with multiple songs offered up as challenges that others can pick from and try out too!
These don't have to be GREAT AMAZING COVERS... have FUN with it!

You can't challenge others, unless you submit a recording!
The first one to post a recording starts the challenge rolling!

Go!

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

2 (edited by Zurf 2017-09-07 14:12:26)

Re: SEPTEMBER 2017 FSOTM -ANOTHER CHALLENGE MONTH!

Kickstarting with an out of tune, early in the day, out of tune Tom Petty Yer So Bad. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/ye … -challenge

Am - G - D - Am   Verses

Em - G - D  Bridges

G - D - C  Choruses

I could have used a metronome because it went faster slower faster slower.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Ill take that challenge.  I just gotta find the time to do it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

C'mon folks. It's cowboy chords. You can do it, and most likely better than my poorly timed version.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf I gave it a quick go hope it is ok.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/chordie-sotm

Peatle Jville wrote:

Zurf I gave it a quick go hope it is ok.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/chordie-sotm

That was great! You really made it your own. I particularly liked your vocals.

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-12 00:46:32)

Thank you Zurf. I got a medical condition which is making it hard to play instruments at the moment. Thought better to put something up rather than nothing. I am sure with the talent on here someone should be able to knock out a better version. So far yours is the best.  My music is like photography before it went digital and we needed film. I am  still studying  my  negatives looking for positives that could be  developed into an enjoyable musical experience.

Zurf ....  you have now introduced me to a new song, hadn`t heard of that one before.    Well done, liked how you performed it and as always, love your commentary on your covers smile 

Peatle ......  well you had a ukulele going on that one smile  So good to hear your take on this song as well. 

I will have to go online to listen to the original version of this song as never heard it before, comments left on sound cloud for you both smile

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Cheers Jandle hope your leg is healing good. I should learn to play the Ukulele my Mum use to play nice  Ukulele tunes  when I was a kid.

So sorry that your medical condition is getting in the way of your musical enjoyment. I nevertheless liked your rendition. While some people want to do "tribute" style EXACT covers, I have long thought it's more interesting when people interpret songs themselves. I've been working on a bluegrass fingerpick version of Magic Carpet Ride. Hardly a tribute!  Now that you've met the first challenge, are you going to give us another one?

Thank you Jandle. Also hoping your leg heals up with a minimum of fuss and pain.

i will give your so bad a shot as soon as i get over this crud, between work and hacking up a lung every morning not much for singing this week. how ever  i will post this that i recorded earlier,  i thought i saw some where they were looking for Texas artist for softm . so here is a song written by a Texan, townes  van zant. made famous by a Texan Willie Nelson and now butchered  by a Texan ( me)

https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/pancho-and-lefty-3

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I hope you get better soon Mojo.  You've been under the weather a good long while now.

Pete Benson does Pancho and Lefty.  I'll need to ping him on Facebook to see if he wants to come back to us.

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-13 00:43:57)

Zurf I managed to con my Maree into  giving the piano a quick play so we did an easy one to cover hopefully Knocking On Heavens Door. Hope its not painful on the ears.
Mojo your cover is done real good. I am not brave enough to cover that.

https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/chord … eaven-door

Mojo
really good man !

Townes is one of my faves, you did it justice and a lot more !

The Texas sound is surely only for Texans - and you got it.

Thanks for sharing

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

OK - I rose to the challenge of Knocking On Heaven's Door with a new recording that includes tambourine stomping (almost, but not quite on 2 and 4), trying to work some melodic soloing in over top of the chord strumming (a technique that a friend from work came over and demonstrating his mastery one evening recently and I've been trying with not nearly as much success), the usual caterwauling, and special guest chair adding squeaks and groans as it supports my copious girth.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/kn … avens-door

I'm afraid just the intro, even using the simplified intro Waylon used, for Pancho and Lefty has got me in need of more practice.  But I've been meaning to learn that song sometime or other and this is as good of an excuse as any. 

I'm going to pick Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown as my challenge song to follow after Knocking On Heavens Door.  After years of trying to learn it in E without success, I have learned the magic of the G5/7 chord, which has the sound I want.  It will be rough, because I have only gotten all the way through the song two times, but we're all friends here and this is all about learning for ourselves and challenging one another to learn, so I'm going to go with it.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Zurf I managed to con my Maree into  giving the piano a quick play so we did an easy one to cover hopefully Knocking On Heavens Door. Hope its not painful on the ears.
Mojo your cover is done real good. I am not brave enough to cover that.

https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/chord … eaven-door

Keep conning her. She's wonderful.

A very not good version of Sundown.  I need to figure out the cool bass line to carry a couple of the verses and be a little more interesting than the same strumming pattern throughout.  Also, learning to sing would help.

The magic chord is G5/7, which is a G7 chord in open position but add in your pinky to the third fret of the B string like you'd do for a regular fully voiced G5. 

Recorded on 12 string, which I clearly wasn't practiced enough with the song to use yet, but did it anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/sundown-cfsotm

That voicing is just silly. why bother? Or play it in E7 barre chord form.

19 (edited by Zurf 2017-09-15 18:59:12)

Baldguitardude wrote:

That voicing is just silly. why bother? Or play it in E7 barre chord form.

Man, I love the sound of it!  And you know Rule #1 - If it sounds good, it is good.

20 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-16 04:39:19)

Zurf, Gordon  Lightfoot's baritone voice  is hard to cover. You got a style which I  call,  Zurfing USA  your music  works for me. If I tried to cover Sundown it would be something that only deaf people could enjoy. My mother in a few days time will have her 97th Birthday when I asked her about music all she could say now I am deaf all music is good.The use of the Tamborine on Knocking On Heavens Door worked good. Maree was trained as classical pianist by local Catholic Nuns even though she was brought up in the Greek Orthodox Church. Because she has a sharp ear for music and can also play by ear any mistakes mess with her nerves. So as a result she doesnt like playing piano much. It was while I was staying over in Greece with her father that I found out she could play piano. At that time I had known her for over fourteen years.  My attempts at music are not pleasing to her ear which I can understand.. When she does play  piano I love it but it doesnt happen very often. Thank you for your feed back.

Jandle l if you get to read this I hope your leg is healing good. Broken bones can be a bit of long journey but eventually it all works out. So I guess having you represent Chordie Land at Skiing  in the Winter Olympics might  be out of the question for now ?

Well I think Maree played wonderfully.  It was just beautiful.

Mojo01 .... NICE!  Another song I confess I hadn`t actually heard of before but now I do.  Nice cover once again, you just seems to nail them smile

Peatle .... I like how you make songs your own and one never knows what your going to do with it.  The piano was awesome, tell Maree she is a great pianist ..... how can she not play it more often? smile 
Regarding my broken leg and my journey, i am getting there, better each week.  I have progressed to being able to get up and down small steps now which means i can actually leave the house with out help! Yay!

Zurf.... haha I loved your commentary once again, it always makes me laugh.  And wouldn't we ALL love to have a piano player such as Maree or drums or other instruments playing along side us   *ahh to dream* .  Anyway, liked your cover and you are another good guitarist.

Jandle your voice makes any band sound good.  I will try to get Maree to play more she thanks you for your nice comment, She has a great skill but doesn't enjoy playing.

I had a golden opportunity last night to participate in this - wife and kids in bed, brought out the guitar, set up my iPhone, set up mike, recorded a few songs; then I found the cable to the mike is not working - so have a load of videos and outtakes of silence and me strumming .... oh well, let's see when the next opportunity arises ...

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Hi Neophytte, welcome to Chordie.

We like new members that are not here just to spam, to introduce themselves to the rest of us in the Chat Forum. It is a common mistake that new members make by just jumping into a thread and posting something that has no relation to the thread in question. This raises suspicion in the mods. So please go to Chat, introduce yourself and enjoy Chordie, we are friendly and very helpful, we answer your questions and give advice.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.