1 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-08-25 00:25:15)

Topic: ChordiePa 2017

It's that time of year again. Warm days and cool nights in the mountains of Central Pa.

Oct. 6, 7 & 8, 2017

Enter Blain, Pa. into your favorite map program or GPS. I'll pass the actual address along privately but Blain will get you within 3 miles.

I'll have food and drink (to be determined) but if liquor is your thing you'll need to bring it along. Since I don't drink it, I don't know all the different types of liquor and what is quality or junk. Sorry.

I know of at least 3 locals so far that are coming.

There is an addition to the overnight accommodations. Jim and Amy will recall Jeff from last year, the modest local guy with the incredible voice and the $3500 Taylor. He bought the camp behind me and offered to put people up for the night. Here is a snip from the email he sent me.

"We do have the couch, a queen size and single inflatable bed if someone needs and are ok with Dexter."
Dexter is a big, lovable, 85lb German Shepard. If you give him a little scratch, you'll never get rid of him. http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3851.gif Very people friendly. The nearest decent motel is close to 30 miles away. The local country store closes at 8:00PM and is closed all day  Sunday. The closest gas is 10 miles away and is also closed Sunday. Yeah we're kind of out in the sticks. Keep an eye out for Amish buggy's. They're doing 10mph on a curvy 50mph road.

Here is a playlist from 2015. It was a beautiful weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8WGsC … xMYkNJc67P

And here is a playlist from 2016. It rained all weekend and we were confined to the indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0sYkt … 59fEMgjOPW

Were going to hope for a repeat of 2015.

Re: ChordiePa 2017

Going to make a solid effort to make it for a part of the weekend.  I've been trying to talk Topdawgz into riding along.  I'll toss my cot in and hope to crash somewhere.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey hey hey!  We'll be there!  We're currently discussing if either of the kids are coming along or not.  We (especially me) may be due for a break from them by then.  wink  Of course, even when Steph isn't feeling personable, she still manages to enjoy a little time away.  wink 

That's so nice of your new buddy, Jeff, to offer up space!  I'll try to remember to toss that new air mattress in the trunk just in case it's needed.  We're HOPING to head out Friday Morning, so we're not arriving late at night for a change.  Maybe that will help avoid some of the traffic in the "construction zone" between here and there too. 

I'll make sure to bring along the cookies!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I was up at camp over the Labor Day weekend. The above mentioned Jeff was there as well. He built a fire Sunday night and we sat down to play for awhile. Within about 15 minutes we had 12 people sitting around listening. Turns out 3 of them were also musicians. One of them used to play in a bluegrass band. He's coming and bringing his banjo and mandolin. The other 2 play guitar and will be coming as well. So there are now 6 local musicians.

Let's hope this string of hurricanes ends and we have a nice dry weekend.

Would it be OK to bring my camper? I'd probably want to mooch a plug-in too so I could have lights and a space heater.

Looks like Topdawgz and I are both planning to come, so I thought it would be easiest to bring our own beds and shelter.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Would it be OK to bring my camper? I'd probably want to mooch a plug-in too so I could have lights and a space heater.

Looks like Topdawgz and I are both planning to come, so I thought it would be easiest to bring our own beds and shelter.

It's a standard 110v plug?

Then yes. You can back in where everyone was parked in '15. I'll figure out other parking arrangements for folks. There's an outlet on the pole. There's also a water hydrant you can plug into.

Just a 110 plug will be fine. I don't use the water tanks in the camper.  We won't deploy the canopy, so it should only take up about as much space as your big truck.

Zurf wrote:

Just a 110 plug will be fine. I don't use the water tanks in the camper.  We won't deploy the canopy, so it should only take up about as much space as your big truck.

I'll put you between my place and the pavilion.

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-14 10:21:49)

Someday ... I hope to have the time & cash flow to make it one of the Chordie gatherings. It's a long two-day's drive each way from here to PA (or MKM/MKD's in upstate New York) but I know it would be well worth the effort. Have a great time, everyone!

Would love to meet you. I'll have Songs From the Wood playing on the stereo when you arrive. smile

unclejoesband wrote:

Would love to meet you. I'll have Songs From the Wood playing on the stereo when you arrive. smile

lol Well, well ... you just "upped the ante", UJB! lol Hard to refuse an offer like that ... very considerate of you.

We're 2 weeks out. We've had unusually warm weather for the last 2 weeks and at this point the weather gurus are saying it will be around until at least next weekend. This string of hurricanes has created a block in the Atlantic which is keeping us warm and dry. Hope it holds a little longer.

There's only 1 local that is staying overnight so my neighbor Jeff, still has room for 3 people.

At this point it looks like there are 6 local musicians and 5 Chordians. If anyone needs the exact address, send me a PM.

Uncle Joe - I can't send you a PM, because Chordie is tied to an e-mail address I don't have any longer, but there doesn't appear to be a way to change my e-mail address in my profile.  I'll need directions or address again. It's been a couple years since I was there and I don't think I still have them.  Send to dazurfluh@gmail.com or dazurfluh@yahoo.com.

Zurf you can go to your profile and change your email account and then hit safe. I changed mine and it was easy .

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I wish we could.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Zurf wrote:

Uncle Joe - I can't send you a PM, because Chordie is tied to an e-mail address I don't have any longer, but there doesn't appear to be a way to change my e-mail address in my profile.  I'll need directions or address again. It's been a couple years since I was there and I don't think I still have them.  Send to dazurfluh@gmail.com or dazurfluh@yahoo.com.

Email sent. smile

17 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-10-01 00:02:53)

One week from today we'll be gathered around a campfire and making some music. Unlike last fall, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate this year. smile

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4508/23566608388_a8d49e2e4a_z.jpg

Awe, JJJ you and Chris won't make it?  sad 

MKD and I will be heading out Friday morning.  I've got the weekend off.  I'm 99.9% sure that we'll be without kids.  Steph may change her mind and want to come along at the last minute, but so far the plan is for the little to stay behind with the grandparents and big brother.  I haven't had much time to do much aside from the constant of work/homeschool/mom duties, so super looking forward to getting away where the electronics don't work as well.  wink 

That weather forecast doesn't look too bad, UJB!

Hoping to make it. I will be at a wedding in NY till Friday morning, but hope to be there Fri afternoon. I will camp in my truck or tent. Gotta talk with Zurf to seee what we might bring. Need anything?

I don't care if Hell freezes, as long as I've got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car......

Strat, Martin, Tele, Artcore.......

Topdawgz wrote:

Hoping to make it. I will be at a wedding in NY till Friday morning, but hope to be there Fri afternoon. I will camp in my truck or tent. Gotta talk with Zurf to seee what we might bring. Need anything?

Let me know what you're planning. I was only bringing my camper for your benefit. If you're bringing your own gear, I'll just toss an air mattress or cot in the Prius.

As for tents - it's all fine gravel, so bring a tarp to go under it. Double thickness would be even more gooderer.

And if you aren't counting on me being there on Friday night, I may just slide up on Saturday morning instead. I've got to be out of town this week and could really use a little extra home and work time this week.

Zurf wrote:
Topdawgz wrote:

Let me know what you're planning. I was only bringing my camper for your benefit. If you're bringing your own gear, I'll just toss an air mattress or cot in the Prius.

As for tents - it's all fine gravel, so bring a tarp to go under it. Double thickness would be even more gooderer.

Just sent an email off to Topdawgz. We have several options so if you just want to bring the car, go for it. I was up there this weekend and made sure there was a place for the camper so you're welcome to bring that if you prefer a home base type set-up.

Time to head out. The weather gurus are saying mid low to mid 80's today and tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a good weekend.

For the folks that are coming, see you when you when you get here. You all have my number if you need to get a hold of me.

Safe travels.

Jim and I would both like to thank you, once again Joe, for your amazing hospitality!  We had a wonderful time, as always!  The weekend weather was absolutely beautiful, the guitar time was wonderful (or "something like that"), food was abundant, and new friends made as always!  Jim and Robert hit it off well, and it was soo good to see him again, as well as Zurf, Jeff, Scott, and yourself Joe!  Also, I took down the model number of your camcorder... I may just get one to keep it new in box and on hand for that day when I finally break yours.  Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a lil clumsy.  wink

Dexter and Bobby found no problem fitting in (although no one actually invited Bobby, he seemed to have no problem making friends with just about everyone and even managed a sip of Bourbon).  big_smile  Good times!  Of course, after I told the girls all about our new friends, they were both a little jealous that they didn't come with us.  Steph said, "Sure, the one time I really SHOULD have come because I'd have been able to make some friends."  HA HA!   

Let Jeff know that Steph will be impossible to keep out of the car next year, as long as Dexter is expected to be there.  wink  I'll make sure she practices up.  We look forward to seeing you all at the next slightly North Eastern event, be that perhaps a little south of here or right at our home in July/August next year.

Hey Uncle Joe, thanks for having me.  Sorry I had to leave so shortly after getting there. The migraine that hit was getting worse even after a quintuple dose of headache remedy.  I needed to get home before it blinded me. I did make it without incident, though I had to stop for a nap along the way.  Stupid of me not to have the meds in my travel kit.  But while I was there, I enjoyed the company, music, food, and overall hospitality.  Your friends up there can really pick!  I really enjoyed that fellow who was playing bluegrass tunes. That made the night a little brighter.