Topic: PC to Amplifier Connection

Hey Folks...I wonder if someone could help with an issue I have.

I play guitar and sing through a Fender Passport 150 amp.  Sometimes I link in a laptop and sing over karaoke tracks as well...and that is the problem.

The only way i could figure to get the laptop to play through the amp was using a cable from the 3.5mm headphone socket on the laptop to the 6.35 mm input on the amp.  I have had loads of cables using adaptors either end and they all work for a while but the connections are not great and anyone treading on the cable or anything knackers it all up.  All in all it is a weak link in my performances and it is doing my head in.

Is there any alternative way to connect the laptop to the amp?  Or are the cables and adaptors I am using the issue...would something more expensive work better?

Any advice is much appreciated.

2 (edited by iris 2017-10-30 07:45:47)

Re: PC to Amplifier Connection

Buy better cables and let no-one step on your cables The sockets are quit normal.

Or start using  a stereo D.I

short cables from Laptop to D.I. longer cable with XLR connectors to your Fender passport.

But again, stepping on cable is never he right way.

regards

Best regards from Holland,

Jan van Duren

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2017-10-29 13:38:46)

vicswitchblade wrote:

I play guitar and sing through a Fender Passport 150 amp.  Sometimes I link in a laptop and sing over karaoke tracks as well...and that is the problem.

The only way i could figure to get the laptop to play through the amp was using a cable from the 3.5mm headphone socket on the laptop to the 6.35 mm input on the amp.  I have had loads of cables using adaptors either end and they all work for a while but the connections are not great and anyone treading on the cable or anything knackers it all up.  All in all it is a weak link in my performances and it is doing my head in.

Is there any alternative way to connect the laptop to the amp?  Or are the cables and adaptors I am using the issue...would something more expensive work better?

I would put a disk in and record all the songs then you could pause and play each song when you are ready in a CD player using cables to your amp

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi, what is a DI?

vicswitchblade I do not know for sure.  From reading what iris wrote it seems like a double cable to the computer and form it meaning one to the right and one to the left to have speakers meaning stereo. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will answer.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

DI= direct injection which basically means plugging your amp directly into your lap top or mixer but seeing as you're going the other way laptop to amp I would suggest using a USB interface where you plug from your LT to your interface using a USB cable and from there into your amp it should also give you a better sound. I use a Focusrite Scarlett or a Soundblaster. They're both small about book size and not over the top price wise.
The Soundblaster takes it's power from my laptop and I position it near my mixer amp. It sounds like you have some distance between both? Try positioning them closer.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thank you Phill. That clears it up and makes more sense than what it sounded like to me.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

8 (edited by beamer 2017-10-29 21:53:53)

Do you have a mixer? i fno DI then a nice little 2 track or 4 track Berhinger mixer sounds like what you need.  Run computer to the CD / tape Ins and Outs so it goes back out to the PA side off your amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-BE … nger+mixer

or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTKI5QA/_e … KDS9ZH42MY  as it has some built in effects.

You will still be using the 3/8 to RCA but much better sound and more options for you.  Even like Russ mentioned make a CD or use a media player like a IPOD or an older spare phone with now network card, and use it for your media player.  I have an old ASUS phone that is my tape recorder and and the WI FI still works on it so i use other music apps on it also.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Goodmorning,

can you tell us how is your position to the Fender Passport? Maybe a small drawing or a picture.

I will place the Passport next to me or close behind me. so the cable has to be not that long and is easier to control your equipment.

But i still don't get the point how it's possible that people step on your cables and destroy them. Please, explain!!!!

regards

vicswitchblade wrote:

Best regards from Holland,

Jan van Duren