Topic: Pickup Magnet Types

Everyone has their favorite pickups, and we all like / dislike some kinds for one reason or another. The most important variable which affects a pickup's sound is the type of magnet used. Here's a brief rundown on the most common pickup magnets which may be helpful. I'm personally a fan of Alnico II's but everyone likes different things:

Alnico II is a lower output magnet that is smooth and usually has just a bit of warmth.

Alnico V has more scooped mids and tighter in the low end. Provides some bite and sparkle.

Alnico VIII is generally between Ceramic and Alnico V, with quite a bit of magnetic pull, punchy with upper mids but a little more warmth than ceramic.

Ceramic is quite strong and gives a very bright tone. It retains articulation and clarity even with heavy distortion which makes it suited for heavy distorted styles.

Re: Pickup Magnet Types

Great description.  Lets not forget ACTIVE and that all the mentioned are Passive smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have never looked into this but just discovered that I play 5s and ceramics.  Thanks for the info!

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-10-31 00:25:33)

beamer wrote:

Great description.  Lets not forget ACTIVE and that all the mentioned are Passive smile

Good observation, Beamer ... although Passive VS Active wouldn't change anything about the magnets themselves (both use these types) it definitely would influence the signal strength going out from the guitar.

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-10-31 00:23:13)

Baldguitardude wrote:

I have never looked into this but just discovered that I play 5s and ceramics.  Thanks for the info!

A lot of people do, BGD ... all a matter of taste. Lead guitarists tend to prefer the higher output and high-end sparkle of Alnico V's and Ceramics. I like the warmth of the Alnico II's, and will use the Gain and Gain Boost in the amp when I want more crunch. Gibson Classic '57s, PAFs, 490s, etc. all used Alnico II's, and that's the sound I grew up with ... I suppose that's influenced my preference.