1 (edited by mhebert 2007-08-23 12:21:54)

Topic: Jim Croce

Of all the artists we tend to write about seldom do we praise Jim Croce. Many of his songs may be considered cliches but as a singer/songwriter he wrote beautiful songs and inspired many.

Thoughts?

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Re: Jim Croce

.......I've got a  song, I've got a song
And I carry it with me and I sing it loud
If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud..........

This is the voice of a true musician. It's also one of my personal favorite lyric lines in any song. I've probably played this song 1,000 times and the goose bumps still pop up on my arms when I sing the above lyric. This is just one of many. He came across as a "normal" guy who stayed grounded and in touch with his culture.

Give everything but up.

Hi Michel,

I have to agree a great artist with some great songs. In fact the very first CD I ever bought was Jim Croce's greatest hits (Photograhs and Memories) way back in the 1980's when CD's were still a novelty.

I am trying at the moment to learn Time In A Bottle. I can sing it, I just can't get the fingerpicking for the accompanyment. But I will.

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

I must admit ive never heard of Jim Croce's, but ive made a note...I just manged to get a copy of the eagles ,Hotel California..a live acoustic version just over 7 minutes long..If there was ever a song to inspire me to better myself on guitar....here  it is..if you would like a copy of it (mp3 bitrate 128) add me to msn and il send it down the wire......motomad63@hotmail.com

Ride Safe!

5 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-23 13:33:57)

I love Jim Croce music.  I also love Gordon Lightfoot music, and was intrigued to discover that there was a connection between the two.  Apparantly Gordon Lightfoot was already pretty big and caught Jim Croce's act somewhere, then to help him along by providing studio time and even asking his bass player to help.  So if you're listening to some early Jim Croce and think that the bass playing sounds a lot like the bass lines in Gordon Lightfoot music - there's a reason for that! 

With all due respect to DavidGrant, the only Jim Croce song I don't like is Time In A Bottle.  In my junior high school, the choir did that song at every event.  Ruined it for me. 

Some favorite tunes, "Box #10", "New York's Not My Home", "Rapid Roy", "You Don't Mess Around With Jim", "Workin' at the Car Wash Blues".  As a side note, I am now a business executive and I STILL don't get to smoke on a big cigar and talk trash to the secretary.  A few decades too late, I guess.  Good thing, 'cause I'd make a lousy chauvenist pig. 

I've got this two-disk collection of Jim Croce released by his widow on what would have been his 50th birthday.  It includes some tracks recorded in his basement you won't find on any other album.  A cover of Cigarettes, Whiskey, and Wild Women, a practically campfire raw version of Copperhead River and a version sung with his wife of Turn, Turn, Turn. 

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Croce-50th-An … amp;sr=1-6

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

...ahh, good memories.  My older sister was a big Jim Croce fan and played his music all the time in the early seventies, which due to the small size of our house made me a byproduct Jim Croce fan.  I think I was only 7 years old or so at the time but I used to "borrow" (steal) those alblums for my own use quite frequently.

Mherbert,

My sister and i loved Jim Croce! We were fascinated at The drive in movies he sang about!
Some one mentioned him a while ago on the forum, and reminded me how good he was!  So many of his songs i love! "But Alabama" Rain really takes me back! Also These Dreams!
Thanks for the memories

Old Doll.!

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Zurf wrote:

I love Jim Croce music.  I also love Gordon Lightfoot music, and was intrigued to discover that there was a connection between the two.  Apparantly Gordon Lightfoot was already pretty big and caught Jim Croce's act somewhere, then to help him along by providing studio time and even asking his bass player to help.  So if you're listening to some early Jim Croce and think that the bass playing sounds a lot like the bass lines in Gordon Lightfoot music - there's a reason for that! 

With all due respect to DavidGrant, the only Jim Croce song I don't like is Time In A Bottle.  In my junior high school, the choir did that song at every event.  Ruined it for me. 

Some favorite tunes, "Box #10", "New York's Not My Home", "Rapid Roy", "You Don't Mess Around With Jim", "Workin' at the Car Wash Blues".  As a side note, I am now a business executive and I STILL don't get to smoke on a big cigar and talk trash to the secretary.  A few decades too late, I guess.  Good thing, 'cause I'd make a lousy chauvenist pig. 

I've got this two-disk collection of Jim Croce released by his widow on what would have been his 50th birthday.  It includes some tracks recorded in his basement you won't find on any other album.  A cover of Cigarettes, Whiskey, and Wild Women, a practically campfire raw version of Copperhead River and a version sung with his wife of Turn, Turn, Turn. 

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Croce-50th-An … amp;sr=1-6

- Zurf

Hey Zurf I"m a Big Gordon Lightfoot fan also. I love to play Canadian Railroad Trilogy. He is a fantastic storyteller. Songs like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald inspired me to take up guitar as a youngster. Also another artist that should have recieved more public attention.

Michel

Jim Croce was one of many "folky" style back in the era of Folk Music....Gordon Lightfoot used to throw some really interesting parties...

One song from that era, which I took to heart, was "Cats In A Cradle" by Harry Chapin.  I followed the lyrics to a tee and made sure that I did not fall into that rut described in the lyrics...I always made sure I had time for my children....

Boris The Spider wrote:

Jim Croce was one of many "folky" style back in the era of Folk Music....Gordon Lightfoot used to throw some really interesting parties...

One song from that era, which I took to heart, was "Cats In A Cradle" by Harry Chapin.  I followed the lyrics to a tee and made sure that I did not fall into that rut described in the lyrics...I always made sure I had time for my children....

Hey Boris ,
What part of the great white north are you from?

Michel

Great song and great pictures that make us Canadians proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVM7hrQsghA

Michel

Michel, yer gonna get all the chordians jealous and wanting us to sponsor their trip over here with that clip...

I am in the suburbs of where the Maple Laughs, I mean Leafs, play...

Ah I'm in the suburbs of where the Habs play.

How are things in TO?

Michel

Rosemount?

I avoid TO as much as possible...I'm about a 90 minute highway drive north west of TO...a lot more relaxing....

No not Rosemount I'm on the southshore of the island. I a few weeks I'm moving a little further, about 40mins away.

TO is good to avoid. I used to go there for work at least once a week. Montreal to TO has to be the most boring drive. 5 hours of trying not to hit deer on the 401....lol

Michel

I must share this with you....many years ago there was an individual at work with a name similar to yours...being a French name..

Anyway, his name was Edward Hebert......and we used to call him Ed and say his name real fast...kinda reminded me of the Elvis song....Ed Hebert...wonder if he ever used Ted as a first name...

I have lots of deer in my neighbourhood....

Hey Mike nice clip, Always liked Gorden Lightfoot and Jim Croce, Harry Chapin as well.Canada is beautiful eh. Ever been over the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton? What a site!

How did your move go?

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Hey Michel,
Beautiful place you live in, loved the clip.  You have something so special to be proud of.  I have been a big fan of Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Croce for years, that's how old I am !!  And Harry Chapin is one of my all time greats.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Hey Mherbert,
Any good trout or Salmon in those waters? Wouldnt mind casting a line into some of them!
Beautiful! Thank you!

Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

badeye wrote:

Hey Mike nice clip, Always liked Gorden Lightfoot and Jim Croce, Harry Chapin as well.Canada is beautiful eh. Ever been over the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton? What a site!

How did your move go?

...Badeye.

Hey Buy,
Haven't moved yet. Official date is sept. 4th still packing and sorting. Yes we do have a beautiful country. I've never had the pleasure of seeing the cabot trail yet but it is one of my plans for the future. Many friends and family have and have nothing bit praise for the region. I can say that I have been from coast to coast though and love the country so much more as I discover new people and places. Too bad some idiots want to split the country up. We have so much to share in such a wonderful country.

Michel

Old Doll wrote:

Hey Mherbert,
Any good trout or Salmon in those waters? Wouldnt mind casting a line into some of them!
Beautiful! Thank you!

Slán
Old Doll.

Great fishing here in Canada. Lots of wilderness and the salmon is great on the BBQ. I was salmon fishing in British Columbia quite a few years ago, when you leave in the morning with the boat you put out some crab traps and when you come in for lunch you have fresh crab to boil right on the shore.......mmmm yummy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGh16Uc7sJk

these guys can really fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5DoWwz … mp;search=

I went to canada once. was real pretty

the answer is blowin' in the wind

Hey Brad here's one for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPirJ0aCaY

and the kitchen party of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2dk18fF … mp;search=

Yeap, You got that rite Mike. Been from coast to coast except NFLD. Its on the docket of places to see.The fishing here is great, Trout, Salmon, Smelt, Gaspeurx,Some lakes have smallmouth bass, and perch. Lots of fun and mostly catch and release. As kids we would cach crabs, pick mussels,clams and the odd lobster and cook em right on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean.Ah those were the days.

take care..Brad

one caper after another

Wow Jim Croce was a favorite back in the day I guess over time I just sort of forgot about listening and playing his music. Thanks for the wake up call

what a long strange trip it's been