Topic: Reonator Guitars

I have a new National (steel body) resonator. So far I love it. Any one else out there playing this type of instrument. Any tips would be apreciated. I am pretty much new to learning slide

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Reonator Guitars

A resonator is on my list of guitars to own.   I have a friend with one, and it's a blast to play.  I love that twangy sound.

Keep us up to date on the bottleneck stuff.   I'd love to learn that, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I want one of those. I want to play bluegrass on it. There's nothing that beats that metally sound.

My sister's got a resonator that I gave her, but she never plays.  So she's going to give it back to me.  It's a steel plate front in a wooden body.  I'm eager to get it, but probably will use it for fingerpicking and strumming same as any other guitar.  Playing slide is going to be over my head for a long while yet, I think. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

He friend patrickjacques, I don't know exactly if you HAVE TO SLIDE, but sliding, with bottleneck.
But do me a favour, go and see, and this is for EVERY GUITAR PLAYER, to wikipedia, where I found this, and you won't believe it till you read it, they talk about a similar instrument 5000 years ago.
So:
Its true origins are somewhat uncertain but there is a general agreement that it ... The type of resonator guitar with a neck with a square cross-section ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

About the resonator guitar: The purpose of the resonator is to amplify the sound of the guitar; this purpose has been largely superseded by electrical amplification, but the resonator is still played by those desiring its distinctive sound.
So you can play it like you play a normal guitar, but also and this happens more and more because of the "special metallic" sound: slide+bottleneck.
HOW IS YOUR NEW GIRLFRIEND MARTIN(E)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

for a special sound try  an open tuning like a dobro (i like 'e') becouse it matches the barr chords on the guitar it is a great sound for bluegrass and old country

always pickin someting

Hello Phil, You are right, slide is an option, at least on my resonaor. This is because I chose the round neck. There are also some resonators that have the square neck. On the square neck the strings are much higher and this model is made for slide (or bottle neck) only. My new D-42 Girlfriend and I are having a great time getting to know each other, but the truth is that I cheat on her with my also new National Resonator

Zurf wrote:

My sister's got a resonator that I gave her, but she never plays.  So she's going to give it back to me.  It's a steel plate front in a wooden body.  I'm eager to get it, but probably will use it for fingerpicking and strumming same as any other guitar.  Playing slide is going to be over my head for a long while yet, I think. 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf, I can relate to you when you say slide is over your head. I have been struggling with it for years now. I find it a whole different ball game as compared to regular guitar playing, But there is no time like the future for starting to learn. I think I will try to find an instructual tape or DVD on learning slide

IS SLIDING THAT DIFFICULT???
I always had in mind that once a guitar was in an open tuning like D, you just had to strum the strings using a bottleneck.
Probably I am wrong?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I recently bought a "chinese made" resonator guitar on ebay for $ 75.00  after doing a little research and setting it up as described at stewert macs website this may quickly become my favorite guitar. The fender electric and the gibson acoustic have been collecting dust in the corner now for about three weeks and they may stay there for awhile... gitaardocphil it is tuned to "open g" one finger barre chords and a bottle slide with the reverb coming from the body I sound like an delta blues player already