Topic: Bad Habit Number 10 (For Me)

I'm not using my pinky enough, which goes along with some other habits I have which I'll mention in another post.

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjjKJA5oH9M  teaches the D-C-G Trick and the pinky has to be used when making the jump from C. I'm used to making the G chord that looks like you're flipping someone off, but in order to play a whole bunch of songs with the D-C-G progression, I'm gonna have to whip my little pinky out and practice moving from chord to chord.

Any of you guys have some bad habits you wanna share? The lit cigarette slipped into the high E string which you purposely left a little long doesn't count, sorry!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by unclejoesband 2018-02-22 03:23:31)

Re: Bad Habit Number 10 (For Me)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

The lit cigarette slipped into the high E string which you purposely left a little long doesn't count, sorry!

Bill

Boy do I remember that! I tucked mine under the low E above the nut. Start playing a song and the cigarette slowly burn down and you had the ashes falling to the floor. smile

That is how I learned to play the G
just made most sense to me

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-02-22 10:58:24)

I've got lots of bad playing habits, as I only had a chord chart to learn from, and no one to show me anything.

The biggest one is not using the correct fingers when playing scales in the various positions. I sometimes get tied up, with a needed finger being "boxed out" (in basketball terms), or a traffic jam of fingers in another progression. I've finally got some help on how to do it right, but decades-old habits are amazingly resilient.

I play too hard and have way too much tension all over my body.

I pinkie anchor on my pick hand. 

I also hold my breath while playing when I get really excited.  Terrible for my phrasing.

I have no bad habits. I do everything perfectly, every time, always.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

beamer wrote:

That is how I learned to play the G
just made most sense to me

That's because you'll take any excuse to flip someone off.  LOL!

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif

unclejoesband wrote:
Zurf wrote:

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0295.gif

Well...maybe a few.

10 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-02-22 18:53:42)

Some VERY interesting responses. Any others? Like some from our new family members?

Classical Guitar, I think I have told you before how much I enjoy the genres played on your type of guitar, so I can't imagine that anyone who is trained on classical guitar would make many mistakes or generate any bad habits,  But my journalistic education makes me curious, so could you describe some common mistakes or some when you first began your training?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

11 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-02-23 00:33:13)

Bill my first guitar when was 13 was a steel string and after a few months I sold it and  then bought my first classical guitar. I played it and read books and changed to my left leg and taught myself how to do a Travis pick with my thumb and two fingers.  This got me hooked. So a year or so later I found a guy , though the local music store, who played true classical music and he agreed to give my lessons. First I learned how to read music really well, and then had to forget everything  I had taught myself. I took lessons from him for two years and at  my first recital I play Moonlight Sonata and Prelude to Opt5. After that that teacher said he could not teach me more than I had learned  and there was a classical guitar teacher at my recital and he talked with with me and said he could take me to a farther in playing. He lived an hour away and I took lessons from him for two more years until he said I was at a level that if I kept working he would , be available if I wanted to  talk and said I had advanced beyond him. So my earlier bad habits had been gone.

So thinking about Chordie members, there are some who have steel string guitars and also a classical for the sound. There is nothing wrong with that. Not every person who buys a classical guitar wants to play different songs than they normally play.

Bill I made my living in the corporate world and still played every night for at least two hours. I retired early and put in more and more time playing and doing concerts. Later I began to teaching classical guitar too. Those who worked hard did really well and 3 who got full music scholarships. Others dropped off because they were not dedicated enough.

As far as current bad habits ,  I hope they ended many years ago. So for the last many years I do not think I have any bad habits. I usually practice 2 to 3 hours a day and take 3 days off from playing if I have a concert  so my hands can rest. The one thing I do that many do not do is I talk to the audience and tell them what the next song is an who wrote it. The final few several minutes I ask the audience if they want to hear any certain songs.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

“Play Free Bird!”

As the constipated man said...oooh that's a hard one!

Bad habits stem mainly from laziness, and I'm really lazy. I learn a song but if there's a bit that I can't quite get I put my own thing in and say I'm being original and putting my own stamp on it...all lies! Eg: the solo from Hotel California, the first 7 notes are from the record, after that I make them up as I go along...see originality?

I've seen people play an open E chord leaving the index finger free. Easier to get to the next chord if it's a barre chord. I don't, my index is on the D# ...see bad habit and I won't change it

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The reality for me is that if I get anything right it's half a miracle. My biggest bad habit is one of those "Well that's just too bad" sorts of things. I approach guitar for fun. I am looking to bang out a rhythm part while I bellow some lyrics in order to destress and have a few minutes of pleasure while I'm doing it. So, I don't worry about things like... oh, posture, hand position, finger position, pick direction, playing the right notes, playing the chords in the right order, or things like that. I'm just looking to bash on a box and bellow for a bit. Someone who's a genuine guitar teacher would probably have an anxiety attack watching me play.

15 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-02-23 13:16:11)

Zurf wrote:

The reality for me is that if I get anything right it's a " TOTAL " a miracle.   Someone who's a genuine guitar teacher would probably have an anxiety attack watching me play and "want to turn off if the mic if I was singing along" .

OH YEAH - WHAT HE SAID !!!!

smile

Zurf you nailed it buddy !  I just modified your quote a bit to fit me a little better smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-02-24 07:23:57)

I  went to a Carmine Appice drum clinic years back. I remember him telling us the only proper way to play any musical instrument for many is what works for you.
Jimmy Page was one person he mentioned
This one is a bit of a matter of taste and opinion.  Jimmy Page is occasionally mentioned as a poor player in terms of guitar technique by guitarists. For me when I was younger he sounded great to me.
His playing still is good to me even though I have moved on from listening to Led Zep.