Topic: effects loops

I have a question once my new Bugera head gets here, I have never dealt with effects loops.

I have an RP500. Should that run in to the loop or in front of the amp?  And then how do I set the send and returns?

Will it still push the tubes if I set it to my TS808 sample or do I need a actual distortion box  (as If I really will need one with channel 3!)

I know the delays and color effects will be good , just not sure about the boost type effects.

Any advice would be most welcome. TIA.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: effects loops

I've thought long and hard about this one and I still don't know. I like my FX on the floor in front of me, it helps as they're all stomp boxes anyway. If yours are placed on top of your amp with dial up FX and a foot switch then yeh loop just watch out for hum and buzz. Pedal boards with set FX are best on the floor. It's all convenience really.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey Beamer ...

Here's a link to some info where we yakked about Effects Loops here a while back:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30740

With a multi-board like your RP500, you're probably best off running it direct (guitar >>> RP500 >>> amp). For people building boards of individual effects boxes, gain effects (dist, O/D, etc.) usually work best in-line, while modulation effects (phase, flange, delay, etc.) will work better in the Effects Loop. Ultimately, you can experiment with both, as I did with my Boss ME80. I found that running it direct, as Phill suggests, made the most sense.

As you already hinted at, you may not even need your Tube Screamer once it's set up.

Hey Beamer ...

Here's a link to some info where we yakked about Effects Loops here a while back:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30740

With a multi-board like your RP500, you're probably best off running it direct (guitar >>> RP500 >>> amp). For people building boards of individual effects boxes, gain effects (dist, O/D, etc.) usually work best in-line, while modulation effects (phase, flange, delay, etc.) will work better in the Effects Loop. Ultimately, you can experiment with both, as I did with my Boss ME80. I found that running it direct, as Phill suggests, made the most sense.

As you already hinted at, you may not even need your Tube Screamer once it's set up. Here's a terrific diagram I found helpful:

https://tonereport.com/uploads/img/fxloop.png

LOL

TF
That diagram reminded me of a video game - like a Pac Man or something of the sort.

I can't even figure out out my Trio Band creator - never mind all these gadgets. smile

Someday I hope to dedicate more time to learning these things.

I do like to read about what you guys post however, it is interesting even if I don't get all of it.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I’ve never had much use for fx loops. I just run everything in line.

For 90% of us, running in-line works great.

However, if you like to hit your tubes hard on the front end for some gritty overdrive (active pickups, for example), and send the amp a modulated signal (like the top row of pedals in the diagram), the modulation also becomes distorted and weird sounding. We mic'd my brother's drum kit this way once, and got some crazy (and kinda cool) sounds out of it.

I should note that I only use distortion and a wah. Hear you loud and clear on the modulated effects though.  I can see that sounding off

Baldguitardude wrote:

I should note that I only use distortion and a wah. Hear you loud and clear on the modulated effects though.  I can see that sounding off

Good stuff, BGD.

Sometimes that weird stuff becomes the source of an idea. Pink Floyd's "Echoes" is a perfect example. Those spacey high pitched notes that Gilmour makes during the middle solo section, came about by pure accident. One of their roadies wired a stomp box into Gilmour's chain backwards, and out came those sounds.

There really isn't a "right or wrong" with any of this, as long as it doesn't start a fire. big_smile

Phill Williams wrote:

I've thought long and hard about this one and I still don't know. I like my FX on the floor in front of me, it helps as they're all stomp boxes anyway. If yours are placed on top of your amp with dial up FX and a foot switch then yeh loop just watch out for hum and buzz. Pedal boards with set FX are best on the floor. It's all convenience really.

Oh they will still be in the floor.  I might for fun run a loop for my flanger and digital delay stops through the loop and keep the rp in front.  I guess Ill need to shuffle the data sets around again to have non amp models in front, or just make it the pedal board option,  its going to give me a lot to play with and figure out. LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hi,

I always recommend a dedicated distortion pedal (especially if you play a lot of rock / metal) over a cheap multi-effects pedal. Benefits are countless.

Further reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comment … _a_simple/

whitzmusic wrote:

Hi,

I always recommend a dedicated distortion pedal (especially if you play a lot of rock / metal) over a cheap multi-effects pedal. Benefits are countless.

Further reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comment … _a_simple/

And that's usually a good policy, WHITZ. Personally, I've never heard a distortion / gain / overdrive box that sounded as good as driving the tubes hard ... just a matter of taste.

By the way, welcome to Chordie! How stopping by in the General Chat section, and telling us a bit about yourself. I think you'll find this a very supportive and interesting group.