1 (edited by ctech 2018-02-23 20:24:34)

Topic: I'm thinking about joining this organisation

I'm thinking of joining The Guild of International Songwriters & Composers.
Is anyone on here a member?

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Re: I'm thinking about joining this organisation

i'd never heard of it before so i had a quick look. it seems to be well laid out and professional and they want £60 a year for the services they offer. they bandy names about such as fleetwood mac and worryingly bram stoker??? i'd look into it a lot further before handing over your credit card details

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Cheers Phill,I'll tread carefully then. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-02-24 07:01:11)

Ctech I would also check out how the board of that guild is elected and who is on it. Then you can  also  check out the board members credentials to see if they are any good.
Looking at the name and placement of the word Guild in their name makes me think it could be just a business but I could be very wrong, So for instance we have here in NZ organisation that are guilds the word guild is usually  placed as in this example. Rather than having the Guild Of ........... 
NZ Merchant Service Guild   
That  Guild is the union representing maritime pilots, masters, deck officers, tug masters, launch masters and shore-based personnel who hold maritime qualifications and work in a supervisory capacity. It even has its own facebook page which might  be a place you can also do a check on the Guild your thinking of joining.

Thanks for you advice Peatle Jville I don't have a Facebook account but my brother has so I'll have look through his.

Never heard of these guys, CTECH, but their mission and services appear to be sound.

Getting your work copyright is obviously important if you wish to make money with your music, or collect royalties from others wanting to use your music. Whenever I (accidentally) hear all of the sound sampling in the hip-hop genre, I often wonder if the original artists are receiving anything for having their work used / butchered.

I've never heard of it, but the Guild seems to be a legitimate organization. The dues are much cheaper than the $200 USD annual ($225 first year) dues for the Nashville Songwriters Association International here in the US.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks Dirty Ed it's sounding more promising . ($200 a year! Expensive. I thought Great Britain was the only rip off country to be fair they could have a service worth $200 ) the one in England has a demo service I may try that's what got me intrested and copyright protection.

Thanks Dirty Ed it's sounding more promising . ($200 a year! Expensive. I thought Great Britain was the only rip off country to be fair they could have a service worth $200 ) the one in England has a demo service I may try that's what got me intrested and copyright protection.

Thanks Tenement Funster I think I may join. It's just you can't be to careful these day people will steal the coat of your back. As for music apart form a few songs since 90''s mainstream music died in my eyes. As for hip hop I'd bin that. 80s hip hop was better though.