1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-02-20 21:20:56)

Topic: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Hi Everyone

A couple of strange questions, so please bear with me.

1. Do any of you play with colored guitar strings? I have seen them advertised on Amazon and eBay, but I didn't see a brand name I recognized, such as Ernie Ball or D'addario. So one of my questions is concerning the strength of the strings once the dye is added to color them. They look pretty, but the ones I saw on Amazon were cheap, so maybe the quality is as well.

2. Second question concerns finger tuning. I tend not to use a pick to pluck my strings, favoring the "warm" sound of my thumb.
I know it must be a matter of style and guitar (Classical Guitar I am thinking of you here) but have any of you played your electrics with just your fingers and is that what "shredding" means?

Thanks as always for your insight!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Pearl Drums

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Shredding  usually means building speed when playing guitar. So it does not matter if you use a pick, your thumb, or all five fingers it would depend on how fast you can do how you play.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck tend to play without a pick. smile

Roger

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Hi Everyone

A couple of strange questions, so please bear with me.

1. Do any of you play with colored guitar strings? I have seen them advertised on Amazon and eBay, but I didn't see a brand name I recognized, such as Ernie Ball or D'addario. So one of my questions is concerning the strength of the strings once the dye is added to color them. They look pretty, but the ones I saw on Amazon were cheap, so maybe the quality is as well.

Hi Bill,

Yes:

100x50

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2015-03-09_bass_restring/images/bass_restring-025.jpg

http://neophytte.mine.nu/photo/2014-01-01-MIDI_guitar/images/MIDI_guitar-060.jpg

I've used the DR brand - they seem to be OK and last for a while, but I haven't gigged with them; all these guitars have been stay at home ones ...

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

2. Second question concerns finger tuning. I tend not to use a pick to pluck my strings, favoring the "warm" sound of my thumb.
I know it must be a matter of style and guitar (Classical Guitar I am thinking of you here) but have any of you played your electrics with just your fingers and is that what "shredding" means

Yes, I play my electrics almost exclusively with my fingers, but tend to use a lighter guage string to compensate for that - apparently this causes issues with low end of the guitar and sustain, but that's just my playing style. I did use a bass speaker with a guitar head for a while, which tended to bring out more mids; best way is to experiment with what you have and play around with settings ... effects can go a long way smile

Shredding is playing the guitar super fast - generally with high gain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gQLV99BDbc

cheers

Richard

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

With respect, True Shredding  has nothing to do with the type of guitar and you can find different examples of different types if you do a search. Regardless of the type of guitar it simply has to do with the speed you play. It can be an acoustic  guitar,  a classical guitar, or an an electric. It can be an acoustic guitar with an electric pickup without any type other types of effect.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Topdown uses colored strings on his Composite Acoustics guitar, which is solid black. It's high contrast and awfully cool looking. They seem to have lasted about forever. I don't know the brand he uses, but I'd be willing to wager a bet he bought them from Amazon.

As for shredding, I don't know anything.

As for fingers on an electric, I never got the hang of an electric and gave mine to one of our members here. I tried fingers, I tried picks, I tried strumming, I tried scales, I tried hybrid picking. I just couldn't get the feel of the darn thing. But, to answer the question best I can given that I have just admitted utter incompetence, if I were to get another electric, it would have high action and be used for slide, and I'd most likely use my fingers for that to keep them free for string dampening. (edited for clarity)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

In whitewater paddling circles a shredder is a small two-person paddle raft.  Here's a vid of some "shredding" on the Gauley River in West Virginia .

"Long Time Gone" by Darrell Scott and Tim O'brien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IS66WDyzg0

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

I have played on the colored DG guitar strings a number of times. I haven't been impressed. String bending makes the color layer flake off and they wind up looking pretty ratty. The tone quality is also meh. I have heard much better reviews on the bass strings.

I do 99% of my practice on an acoustic and so I string my electric guitars on the heavy side of things - .11 to .50. I have just discovered DR strings and I'm really impressed by them. I'm using these. https://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-Blues … es+strings

I use my God-given hand sausages and flatpicks with those strings and they respond well in both situations.

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-02-21 15:40:57)

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Well, I thought "shredding" is when someone plays their electric so hard and fast it shreds their hand, and there'd be blood flying all over the stage and the front row of the audience where the young ladies sit and scream, and one of them gets covered with James Hetfields blood and she goes home screaming to her Mom and Dad that she will never again wash her face and hair, but next day at school, she's forgotten all ABOUT that and she and her friends scrape the dried blood off the face and hair, put it into a test tube to see if they can clone ol' James. THAT"S what I thought "shredding" meant.

Pretty bass, neo and goes with your nickname too. Since some of you guys play these things, I'm gonna get me some blues for my Les Epi, yellow or white for my Rogue Beatle Bass and for Amy and Jim's gifted Fender acoustic multi-colored.

Hey Ed? I wanted to tell you I still have that green rafting t-shirt, but the bottom of it comes to just below my navel, so I'll have to lose some weight before wearing it again! smile

Thanks as always for all the answers, you guys!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Pearl Drums

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well, I thought "shredding" is when someone plays their electric so hard and fast it shreds their hand, and there'd be blood flying all over the stage and the front row of the audience where the young ladies sit and scream, and one of them gets covered with James Hetfields blood and she goes home screaming to her Mom and Dad that she will never again wash her face and hair, but next day at school, she's forgotten all ABOUT that and she and her friends scrape the dried blood off the face and hair, put it into a test tube to see if they can clone ol' James. THAT"S what I thought "shredding" meant.

LOL! This is the best definition I have ever read.

I think Bill needs to start an online slang dictionary!

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Baldguitardude wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well, I thought "shredding" is when someone plays their electric so hard and fast it shreds their hand, and there'd be blood flying all over the stage and the front row of the audience where the young ladies sit and scream, and one of them gets covered with James Hetfields blood and she goes home screaming to her Mom and Dad that she will never again wash her face and hair, but next day at school, she's forgotten all ABOUT that and she and her friends scrape the dried blood off the face and hair, put it into a test tube to see if they can clone ol' James. THAT"S what I thought "shredding" meant.

LOL! This is the best definition I have ever read.

I think Bill needs to start an online slang dictionary!

If he does, I want a copy of it. I would well be worth it.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Classical Guitar wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well, I thought "shredding" is when someone plays their electric so hard and fast it shreds their hand, and there'd be blood flying all over the stage and the front row of the audience where the young ladies sit and scream, and one of them gets covered with James Hetfields blood and she goes home screaming to her Mom and Dad that she will never again wash her face and hair, but next day at school, she's forgotten all ABOUT that and she and her friends scrape the dried blood off the face and hair, put it into a test tube to see if they can clone ol' James. THAT"S what I thought "shredding" meant.

LOL! This is the best definition I have ever read.

I think Bill needs to start an online slang dictionary!

If he does, I want a copy of it. I would well be worth it.


The girls find out their mothers were also groupies when they were young, attended a concert and were invited backstage afterward. 

When the DNA in the test tube is checked, two of the girls find out they are Jame's illegitimate daughters.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

My only consideration of using colored strings (that's "coloured" here in Canada lol) was to put DR Black Beauties on my black Les Paul. I just thought they would look cool. I asked a guy I know well at the local music store about this. He just asked me one question" "How are you going to see them?" I've tried playing in dim light before, and apart from basics it wasn't easy. That ended the consideration, and I haven't looked back.

ACOUSTICS:  Cordoba D10-CE / LaPatrie "Concert" / Takamine GD30CE-12 / Norman ST30
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro / Gretsch Streamliner G2420T / EP Thunderbird Pro IV bass
AMPS:  Peavey "TF" VK212 / Traynor AM150T / Fender Rumble 150
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Ibanez WD7 wah / Grand Orbiter V3 Phaser

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

No, and no.

I use the Ernie Ball 11-52's on my acoustic guitar. And, shredding basically means playing very fast. It doesn't matter if you 'shred' using a pick or your fingers.

15 (edited by topdown 2018-02-25 00:42:21)

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

Zurf wrote:

Topdown uses colored strings on his Composite Acoustics guitar, which is solid black. It's high contrast and awfully cool looking. They seem to have lasted about forever. I don't know the brand he uses, but I'd be willing to wager a bet he bought them from Amazon.

You'd lose that bet Zurf - I get all of my strings from Strings and Beyond. Been using them for years -great prices, fast free shipping (for orders over $35 I think) - they always have deals as well. (I have no affiliation with S&B).

I do use the DR strings on my CA as Zurf says - this guitar lives on my back porch subject to the heat, humidity and salt air environment. They last forever, sound good and look cool on my "plastic" guitar. I bought a set on a whim several years ago and just thought they fit that guitar. I like changing colors for the occasion - think I'll have to go with green for chordiestock since it falls on st. paddy's day big_smile

My go-to strings on my other acoustics are John Pearse - they just sound the best to me. YMMV

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

I love those John Pearse. 

We gonna make corned beef?

Re: Guitar Strings: Accoustic and Electric

^ I've never made corned beef in my life, but if you wanna cook it, I'll be happy to buy what you need and my kitchen is yours to use. Just send me the ingredients.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!