Topic: RELATION MUSIC with MATHEMATICS

There seems to be a big relation between mathematics (PYTHAGORAS???) and music.
Who knows more about this subject???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They start both with an M and
                             Don't know much trigonometry

Don't know much about algebra

BUT I KNOW SOMETHING MORE ABOUT MUSIC

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: RELATION MUSIC with MATHEMATICS

You really should study music theory.  If you know a little algebra, you will begin to see the relationships fairly quickly, as they are pervasive.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi gitaardocphil - the Greek mathmatician Pythagorus simply noted that vibrating strings would make certain tones when their length was shortened by certain amounts.

Shorten a string by 1/2 (2:1) and you get an octave.  Shorten a string by other amounts and you obtain certain other pleasant or harmonious tones.  He poposed that the ratios between these harmonious tones coincided with profound truths about how the universe operates.  He also tried to correlate these ratios to the movements of the planets and other cosmic events.

Basically, Pythagous was suggesting a sort of 'unified field theory' that would reduce all things down to nice neat little number ratios.  Interesting stuff but the Pythagorean view of reality was missing some rather important basics regarding the nature of matter since it was premised on only 4 elements (earth, air, fire, water).  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James, coming back on the topic MUSIC & MATH, you can compare it with bottles filled with water.
The bottles are exactly the same, but every bottle contains less water, you will have different sounds. IS THIS PHENOMENON MEASURED IN THAT WAY, that we can suggest what will happen with a mathematical formula?
Has anybody an idea about the formula you can use. Probably, with hight of the bottle, the water level and ?????

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

yall are thinking too much.    go drink a beer and jam

Bobby
kickin.ws

From the NCTM News Bulletin, July/August 1999.

Some mathematical concepts fundamental to music:

Counting: Counting is fundamental to playing music. One must count beats per measure and count how long to hold notes.

Patterns: Music is full of patterns -- patterns of notes, chords, and key changes. Musicians learn to recognize these quickly. Patterns, and being able to invert them (known as counterpoint), help musicians form harmonies.

Geometry: Music students use geometric shapes to help them remember the correct finger position for notes or chords (more than one note played simultaneously). For instance, guitar players’ fingers often form triangular shapes on the neck of the guitar.

Ratios, proportions, and fractions: Reading music requires an understanding of ratios and proportions. For instance, a whole note needs to be played for twice as long as a half note, four times as long as a quarter note, and so forth. Divisions of the beat, placement of the strong and weak musical beats, and even determining when to take a breath while playing a wind instrument or singing depends upon fractions, multiples, and groupings of beats.

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

bobby6string wrote:

Okay, I just fell out of chair laughing at this . I reckon' I like the way you think. Mmmm Hhhhh

Give everything but up.

bobby6string wrote:

That's right, if I wanted to get deep into math again I'd go back to school.
I know that the guitar contains factual mathematical principles while using it, but I'm not at the point where I want to focus on that right now.

I think that the mathematical aspect of guitar playing is when you get more into the "Zen" of playing and lots of guitar theory and brainy stuff.

Right now, I'm gonna play it normal and just rock out.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

This is the sort of thing that my sister used to study on for fun.  She's a pretty good guitar player and banjo player.  Sadly, she is now suffering the after-effects of a siezure that have left the part of her brain that understood this stuff not functioning or functioning poorly.  However, I recall her reading a number of books on the inter-relationships between mathematics and music (they even use many of the same portions of the brain and playing an instrument can help a child learn math more easily!).  You may be able to find some books at your local library if there's one available to you.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

well bobby6string, that was what I was doing, drinking, if I didn't do that, I wouldn't be able to write about the bottles. Before you have the right "boose"level in your bottle!!!! it really takes time and at least 50 bottles of beer, to find the right "tonality" and the biggest problem is: if you try this in a bar, after drinking "for science" go to the mensroom, and be sure all the bottles are gone, meaning that I had to start it all over.

lol      I was really just kidding.  Music is very mathmatical.  You can study it for years and learn more and more.  I really do admire the folks who know all the theory and every lead scale and all that stuff.  Its just not for me.  But I do think I play better after a few drinks and stuff.  In fact, we tell our audience to "drink more beer" every song or two.  The bar owners like it, and the crowd does respond better the more they drink.  Maybe theres a mathmatical theory about the level of intoxication and its effect on enjoying music?  lol   Ok, thats as smart as I get.  Now Im gonna go watch Sponge Bob on TV.   lol

Bobby
kickin.ws

Bobby6string, or stringman (sounds good too), You and I both know that we are not going to study maths again to play better.
About "playing better" after a few drinks, it is perfectly normal, but it can end in a bad situation.
Alcohol, and "illegal" drugs take away a certain limit. You will feel it for yourself, after, but not too much, a few vodka's, beers are enough to play more relax. You have to pay attention if you like: somebody who drunk MORE THAN ENOUGH, will have almost no injuries when he falls down: because of the relaxation of the muscles, where a "sober" man, falling the same way, is trying, or is contracting his muscles followed by injuries. I don't need a drink, compared to 5 years ago, I was too shy to play in public, even to speak in public, but I changed: MORE ASSERTIVE: I was always saying yes, still working as a Doc, and somebody phoned me to come, I did come. But when I started again, my phone line was coming out on my cellular so I could talk to the people personally, and avoiding a lot of calls, moved them to the day after, I could have a "fast" diagnosis, just by asking a few things. But this were remains of who I was before my car crash.
I worked always very late, 15 hours a day was nothing, I had too much work, and because of my since 1996 ex-wife, a fantastic excuse to hide me behind my job.

Beer goggles fit your ears, too.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]