Re: no way to get those barre chords!!

the first thing to check is the height of the strings (action) it should be the same (real close) the entire neck of the guitar if not as you strech the strings to make the chords you will change the tone of the chord. it should have been set up when you bought it if it was new if the action is correct then strengh in your hand is the problem lighter strings can help this if you get a squeel when you change chords try accoustic electric strings 10 or lighter if you can get them but above all pratice will make it happen

always pickin someting

jerome.oneil wrote:

...  You can play three chord ditties all day long at the neck, but all you'll ever play is three chord ditties.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it limits you as an artist.....

Panic !!- you mean I should learn more than three chords? :-)

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

hi, me and my bar chords again, wink

how high are the strings suppost to be on the bottom of the guitar? on top of the nek they are real close to the frets but past the 11 fret they are 7 mm from the frets, how high is normal? anybody knows?

29 (edited by Devildogs_Doll 2007-08-27 02:10:48)

I can't answer that question, Trip...I'm kinda new to guitars, but I did want to thank everyone who have answered Trippy's question.  All your advice was really helpful to me.  I read a lot of it just a day or so before I finally got barre chords down really well.

One thing that really helped me was one of those finger-strengthener things, like this:  http://www.gripmaster.net/gripmaster/

Everyone else here is dead-on with advice about modifying your guitar, though.  My first guitar was a Yamaha acoustic that I could not play no matter how hard I tried.  The body of the guitar was huge, the strings too high off the fretboard, and the strings were really thick.  It's not a bad guitar - just way too big for me.  I started borrowing my husband's much smaller guitar and that's what I've learned on.  It's MUCH easier to play.

If you've been trying for a while and still having difficulties, it probably isn't that you don't have talent or that you suck...it probably is a problem of not having the right guitar for YOU.  I'd check into those modifications everyone is talking about.  It made all the difference in the world for me just playing a different guitar.  Good luck, man... ;-)

quite right - some guitars fight back. It was my third acoustic (a Crafter) that became the real deal for me. My Washburn had to go! Needed monkey hands to hang on to a barre chord. Go and pester them in the guitar shop.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

trippy wrote:

hi, me and my bar chords again, wink

how high are the strings suppost to be on the bottom of the guitar? on top of the nek they are real close to the frets but past the 11 fret they are 7 mm from the frets, how high is normal? anybody knows?

As someone said above, the string height should be pretty consistent over the entire neck.

7mm is over a quarter of an inch, which is much to high at the body.  Go and visit your local shop, and have the instrument looked at by a decent luthier; there are remedies.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins