Topic: NGD and a little recording

Heeeeeeyyyyyyy!

Yeah yeah yeah, I've been fairly absent.  I'm sorry.  I probably will continue to remain a mystery much like many females are (even to ourselves at times).  However, I mentioned that I had a NGD and hadn't gotten around to sharing it.  I feel bad that I don't have more time here, so thought of you all CRAZIES while I recorded this today:

https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483/c … new-guitar

Because my hubby loves me (and he wants a NGD himself), Jim bought me a new guitar that I absolutely fell in love with for Valentines' Day.  Welcome to the new Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT!  It's a cedar top and laminated Cherry back and sides.  The action is AMAZING on this guitar and, dare I say it, may become my new go-to over the Martin at half the price.  Crazy.  (see what I did there?)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4616/39773156534_fc9e3e9164.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4630/25612583857_182df5d63f.jpg

It's a dread.  It seems like no matter how badly I want to stay away from the size, I just love the sound.... I keep getting drawn to them.  I spent my first night with it on the couch, and the next few days in severe shoulder and resulting back pain (getting old I guess).  I've since added a strap and adjusted my hold.  Things seem to be going well.  LOVE IT!  The linked song above was without a pick, there's just some things you can't do with other guitars without a pick that you can with a dread.  Picking notes out is just a million times better sound.  I love how unique the wood sound is to "all the other spruce tops".

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: NGD and a little recording

Wow. Actually you are right, I am crazy and have been for years. It runs in the family. lol

I really enjoyed listening to you and your new guitar.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7ZeK1dyNazVE4Mdq/giphy.gif

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I love the sound of that guitar and your voice.  Keep that Jim on he knows what he is doing and his taste guitars perfect. .

Happy. NGD. I have had one or two NGDs. Lol.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Sounds great Amy. I'll be looking forward to giving it a play in August. smile

Congrats on your NGD, Amy ... what's Jim after? lol

I didn't know our Seagulls made it south of the border, but they are a nice family of guitars. Do you mind the neck width? Some people find their necks a bit too wide, while others prefer them. Good read your crazy sense of humor, and hear your wonderful voice again.

Sounds like the pipes are still in good shape girl. Congrats on the new guitar. Looking forward to hearing you play it live this fall.

Many of the guitar stores  in my area carry Seagulls TF.  I've played several and like the sound of the cedar/cherry combo.  As for the neck width, I find wider necks a lot more comfortable to play.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Wow lucky girl. Congrats on the ngd and don't be a stranger.

Great to see you back, congrats on the new  guitar and nicely performed smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Amy

THAT'S WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT GIRL!!!!

What a gift you have in that voice of yours. To me it has a blend of Jon Baez, Joni Mitchell and a tad bit Janis J in it. The guitar sounds fabulous and it is a fine looking instrument as well ! I absolutely love the way you put your own stamp on this song - ahhhhhhhhh the passion and commitment to the song! Just plain excellence !!  The sound your new guitar makes matches your voice perfectly - I definitely think Jim hooked you up very well. (It's like he knows you or something smile  )
Don't get too busy to perform - you have a special gift - share it.   It's really too bad you and Jan couldn't duet -  two great voices - two different accents - one song - I believe it would be awesome.

Keep'em coming - thanks for sharing

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Seagulls are great sounding guitars. New guitars tend to inspire new songs , maybe you'll write a new one with it.  Enjoy.

Thanks for the kind words all. 
UJB, I think you'll really like it!  big_smile  You know I'll be more than happy to pass it around for others to try out. 

Jim's looking to get one of the Martin X series guitars.  wink  He's got one on layaway, but it was "my turn" to get a NGD (he's had a few out of turn already), so I had to get mine first.  LOL!  There's quite a few places here that sell Seagulls.  A lot of the the other Godin guitar brands don't make it down, though.  This one has the "slim" neck width on it.  It's honestly a little thinner width than my Martin at the top, so it's not wide for me at all.  wink  I'm with DE, the wider widths I find easier to play.  I've got a double jointed thumb, and can't really plop my thumb at the back of the neck like you're "supposed" to.  That may have something to do with it. 

I should clarify, Jim didn't pick this one out.  I picked it, he offered to buy it.  We went around to a few shops, but none seemed to have this wood combo and I could hear the difference.  I was trying for a smaller guitar, but just didn't hear the sound in any of the others.  So, we drove quite a few miles in one day and ended up back to GC to pick this up on his insistence.

TIGLJK, ha ha ha.  You make me blush!  I'm working on getting my callouses back, I promise!  I'm not sure I'll ever be "performance" quality, but I have missed playing and singing for sure. 

My songbook needed a good dusting, and in the process I found a couple songs in there I'd written but never really shared.  I'll have to see if I can tweak them enough to make me happy and record.  That could take some time, since a few of them are YEARS old.  It's a start though.

Amy,

Did you get it at the GC in Syracuse?  I stopped by the GC in Columbus last week while visiting my son.. I really wasn't looking for anything but one guitar just "spoke" to me.  It was an Ibanez AV4CE.  Maybe it was the "torrified", top or just the strings they had on it but now I have a case of GAS. I checked online and the Syracuse store has one.  Tell Jim to give it a try if you're over that way. I'm curious what he thinks about it.  BTW, Musicians Friend has it on sale at 25% off. If I could sell one of my acoustics (even my Martin) I'd jump on it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

Amy,

Did you get it at the GC in Syracuse?  I stopped by the GC in Columbus last week while visiting my son.. I really wasn't looking for anything but one guitar just "spoke" to me.  It was an Ibanez AV4CE.  Maybe it was the "torrified", top or just the strings they had on it but now I have a case of GAS. I checked online and the Syracuse store has one.  Tell Jim to give it a try if you're over that way. I'm curious what he thinks about it.  BTW, Musicians Friend has it on sale at 25% off. If I could sell one of my acoustics (even my Martin) I'd jump on it.

DE

We did, indeed.  Found it there, drove to a few of the mom-n-pop shops, but no one had one that sounded quite the same.  We went back to the GC in Syracuse and the one on the wall was the last one they had in stock.  Ibanez AV4CE, we'll have to check that out and let you know!  It's funny, when you just find that new,  must have, guitar and things like our favorite Martins aren't so favorite anymore.  I sometimes wonder if I'll get the Martin back out of the case.  wink

I was visiting the Bedford Banjo shop on Saturday. They had a Seagull that looked like your new one there, though I didn't check the model number.

Your song was great. Your songs are always great. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on the NGD.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Amy, leave your Martin in the case for a while. After a bit go back and play a few songs on it. It's like finding an old friend. I have 4 acoustics and 2 electrics and every time I get one out I haven't played for a while it's OH...Yeah  that's why I bought you.