1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-03-21 02:23:33)

Topic: If Any Great Musician You Know Could Time Travel....

....and he or she could go back to the 18th-19th centuries and visit Beethoven, and if that musician were able to bring his instrument along, then after his surprise at the musician suddenly appearing out of nowhere and being cajoled into listening to the time-travelling musician.......

Wait.....

Okay, that up there ^^^  was a run-on sentence from a 68 year old former English major who now cannot seem to reconstruct that garbage just written into a recognizable sentence.....:)

What I want to ask is: which of today's musicians would The Maestro not throw out of his apartment and be  liable to say something like. "Ach Du lieber! Dat hass a funken feel! Let's give it a try!  C major, if you please!"

Can you think of anyone? Care to give it a try? Would you like to use another composer as an example?
I'll give it a start.

Paul McCartney - feel free to call me names, but I believe he would be a fit. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: If Any Great Musician You Know Could Time Travel....

John Hartford, simply because I think the Maestro would have a knee slapping, toe tapping good time!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I'd scare the bejeebers out of Herr Beethoven and bring Bootsy Collins. But we'd all definitely be getting funky.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Andrés Segovia  in his prime. He is considered as the grandfather of modern classical guitar.  He worked years to be as perfect as possible.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-03-21 18:23:08)

Rick Wakeman (formerly of Yes) with his whole stage array of keyboards. Rick did his studies at the Royal College of Music in London, and I imagine a fair bit of the curriculum would have included the Maestro's work. And ... I gotta think Herr Beethoven would have a blast with a polyphonic synthesizer!

http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/rick-wakeman-on-stage-with-keyboards.jpg

Rick, (Is that your real name, TF? I NEVER can remember!

Excellent choice! Although I have never seen Yes or Mr. Wakeman in concert, I have heard many of his thematic work, beginning with "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" and "The Myths and Legends of King Arthur....."  Knowing my love for the classics, is there another you would recommend?

Thanks and sorry if the name is wrong

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Classical Guitar wrote:

Andrés Segovia  in his prime. He is considered as the grandfather of modern classical guitar.  He worked years to be as perfect as possible.

Now, why did I know you'd write that? smile "The Maestro of The Symphony" meets "The Maestro of The Guitar". Something tells me when Beethoven hears Segovia, the latter would cause the former to come to tears.

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Keith Emerson and Jon Lord would enjoy playing with Beethoven.  Hopefully they are all now in the same place having a good time.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Keith Emerson and Jon Lord would enjoy playing with Beethoven.  Hopefully they are all now in the same place having a good time.

Wouldn't that be some kind of jam session?!?! Wow!!! Here's a sample of Rick live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx5ovZVGcd0

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Rick, (Is that your real name, TF? I NEVER can remember!  Thanks and sorry if the name is wrong

Your Friend

Bill

Rick is correct, Bill, but TF is easier to spell! lol

I'd take  Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers back in time to meet J.S. Bach. I think that he'd be thrilled that a group known for playing a style of music unknown to him (bluegrass) enjoy  playing his music on their instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcZDI63yO1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BThkTCHBH4

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed, before seeing this video, I had never heard of these great musicians. In the comment section, I noticed a remark about the bassist Paul Cowert (?) looking very much like John Lennon, and he sure does. I'd like to be a "fly on the wall" of "Der Maestro's" apartment as he listened (as best he could). Would he be inspired enough to write  "Quintet Für Schtrings und Bancho: Blaues Grass.

Thank you for introducing me to them, DE!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Guido D'Arezzo

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Guido D'Arezzo

I'll have to look that one up, Jim, but just looking at the name, I reckon I wouldn't wanna owe him any money. wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill
He would be time traveling forward instead of backwards like everyone else.
Without him Beethoven might never have even written on song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkstaYPztM

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke