Topic: Good Video Regarding Gibson's (Possible) Demise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfB0Awm … 6&t=0s

I have the Les Studio but it's by Epi, not Gibson. Theirs sounds like it looks and plays horribly.

Good Discussion Subject or am I too late?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Good Video Regarding Gibson's (Possible) Demise

As they say: a wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

I think it’s a combination of factors:
- bad expansion strategy
- bad management culture
- increasing onshore competition with great, lower cost brands
- a stale brand
- lack of meaningful innovation
- increasing popularity of EDM and other genres that don’t use guitars

I think you nailed it, BGD. I think there will be a lot of trips to many pawn shops for serious guitarists, and they'll pay a pretty penny for the original, beautiful instruments.

So, I have a theory (not a "conspiracy theory") but it ties in with what you wrote there at the last. Not sure if it was The Beatles who first used this thing, but they certainly used it. It is the  Mellotron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUcfB5Whp4I

, later of course came the keyboards and something I saw last night on YT (forget what it was called) an electric guitar that had so many switches/pedals it could sound like a trumpet.

We got used to hearing the Mellotron with Strawberry Fields and then I heard it played by Mr. Robert Webb of King Crimson.  Before the Mellotron came the Moog of course and so on.....

Whenever I think of these things, I get a little sad and try to remember when I had to learn to tie my shoe laces or tell time. Now there's Velcro and LCD's. Then I think of our friend Classical Guitar and how much he loves his guitar, and it makes me hope that the Millenials don't fall into the "you don't have to know how to play" trap. It was the same thing for me when they came out with those skeleton-looking electronic drums. Sorry, but I would not attend a concert with a drummer such as this.

I hear you: "What about pedals, Bill? Pedals are a different animals, I believe. You still have to know the notes on the neck and I still have to know my paradiddles, right? smile

I'd love to hear some more opinions.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

One hell of a rant, that guy is peeved!

When I bought my first guitar I also bought a book and picked up tips from friends. I don't rate myself as a guitarist... OK I think I'm tidy as a rhythm guy but as a solo guitar/vocalist, I like to throw in a solo or two and some twiddly bits to offset my boredom as I'm playing the same songs night after night. Oops sorry tangent time, back to the plot...

It annoyed me that after the guitar heroes came the punks then synths! What happened to learning your art?oops another tangent!

I never liked the flat neck on Gibbies, loved the crunchy sound and I love the acoustic sound, hated the price!!! You can do more with a Fender... all day long.

I'll be sad if Gibson's do go through but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We had a pretty good discussion about this last month (link below) and Gibson's current status hasn't improved.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34869