Topic: it comes to an end.

hi i finally come to an end in learning the guitar. i dont know where to go anymore, im stuck.

my guitar is like my brother.
we never get along..

Re: it comes to an end.

nzlectric wrote:

hi i finally come to an end in learning the guitar. i dont know where to go anymore, im stuck.

No, you can't let it go because you're stuck.
We all get stuck! Sometimes I feel like when I pick up the guitar and play it's the same silly pattern of chords all the time.

But I push thru it and make variations on the pattern and it turns into something beautiful!!
We all need a base set of fingerings that we start out on and expand on.
Maybe that is all that you're defaulting to....it's okay. We all do that.

=]

Don't give it up, this is too precious of a gift.

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

There are tons of things to learn about playing a guitar, but the main thing to remember is to have fun. Learn at a comfortable speed, and try not to get frustrated if it seems like you're not learning as much as you'd like, or as fast as you'd like. If you already know how to play an instrument, you know it requires a lot of patience....

Good luck...
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

On an acoustic or even an electric guitar, do you know how to make the sound of a snare drum?

just learn some new songs you've never tried before, sooner or later you'll come across soemthing you don't know how to do then its time to start learning again smile

All You Need is Love smile

6 (edited by cytania 2007-08-22 08:04:43)

Just keep playing NZ, I was doodling around last night with that 'Gotta Hurry' lick I posted months ago, somehow  between still being on 'Blues Lead' (17B) and playing it sloppy (I was often hitting two strings instead of a clean single strike) it came out great. Reminded me of 'Schools Out' by Alice Cooper, or at least I could see how I might get there...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Boris The Spider wrote:

On an acoustic or even an electric guitar, do you know how to make the sound of a snare drum?

i play electric, no i dont know the sound of a snare drum.

we never get along..

Detman101 wrote:

There are tons of things to learn about playing a guitar, but the main thing to remember is to have fun. Learn at a comfortable speed, and try not to get frustrated if it seems like you're not learning as much as you'd like, or as fast as you'd like. If you already know how to play an instrument, you know it requires a lot of patience....

Good luck...
Dm

thanks detman. its just that its seems that i cant get any song sounding right and i cant understand some of the tabs. i dunno i get really really frustrated.

we never get along..

nzlectric wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Good luck...
Dm

thanks detman. its just that its seems that i cant get any song sounding right and i cant understand some of the tabs. i dunno i get really really frustrated.

Well, what can't you understand about the tabs? You do realize that sometimes people submit tabs that are incorrect right? The problem may not be your understanding...it is probably just a bad set of tabs.
It has happened to me about 7 times since I found this site. I'll have my guitar in tune, and I know my strings are not old or dead....but the song just won't play right. So I minimize the window with the tabs that I have open and open another version of the same song's tabs from a different person.

And wouldn't ya know it....it usually sounds right when I try a different version of the tabs or chords.

Don't let little setbacks discourage you dude. If you know how the song sounds originally you can just play it as you go along and write your own tabs to it. I do that as well all the time!

If you have made it this far, you CAN go further!
I would encourage you to keep at it and find ways around the problem, don't let it stop you.

big_smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Added two more songs to my Beginner's Electric song book. One's a bit of an Undertones novelty you'd need to download (Mars Bars) but the other is Bang A Gong (Get it On) by T Rex, great confidence booster, going back to play it again now...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

nzlectric wrote:

What you're experiencing is normal. Everyone goes through it. Step back, take a few days away from your guitar and just think about what you've learned. Recall the first time you played? You've come a long way haven't you. It just takes time, patience, and sticktuitiveness. When I experience a "rut" in my playing I like to watch  and listen to other guitarists. Step out of your routine and listen to something completely different than you normally do. Frustration is temporary, guitar is forever.........Hang in there,ya dig?

Give everything but up.

nzlectric wrote:

You have a had a lot of good advise already posted and I can add little more to what has been said but ask question and give you one suggestion.

The question. What exactly are you stuck on? Maybe you can then be given some specific advice on how to proceed.

The suggestion. Try taking a few lessons. One to one help may be all you need to overcome the current hurdle.

I know it has already been said but to give up now is to waste all the time and effort you have already put in. I think that SouthPaw's suggestion of a short break to contemplate what you have already achieved is very sound advise.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Man, how many times have I felt that EXACT same way...usually when I've been locked up playing by myself--I think the cure is to get a couple friends over, get a pizza, play loud & very bad and have fun!  Don't wory so much about getting better, and just relax and have some fun!

Detman101 wrote:
nzlectric wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Good luck...
Dm

Well, what can't you understand about the tabs? You do realize that sometimes people submit tabs that are incorrect right? The problem may not be your understanding...it is probably just a bad set of tabs.
It has happened to me about 7 times since I found this site. I'll have my guitar in tune, and I know my strings are not old or dead....but the song just won't play right. So I minimize the window with the tabs that I have open and open another version of the same song's tabs from a different person.

And wouldn't ya know it....it usually sounds right when I try a different version of the tabs or chords.

Don't let little setbacks discourage you dude. If you know how the song sounds originally you can just play it as you go along and write your own tabs to it. I do that as well all the time!

If you have made it this far, you CAN go further!
I would encourage you to keep at it and find ways around the problem, don't let it stop you.

big_smile
Dm

hi det.
thanks for your reply. i have a posted a topic before about getting help on how to read tabs. i think its titled "how to play this?"
i usually compare tabs here and other tab website like 'ultimate guitar', and i find them the same. i think its my playing is the problem.
thnaks for your encouragement det.

we never get along..

cytania wrote:

Added two more songs to my Beginner's Electric song book. One's a bit of an Undertones novelty you'd need to download (Mars Bars) but the other is Bang A Gong (Get it On) by T Rex, great confidence booster, going back to play it again now...

thanks cytania. but most of the song you know are songs that i dont. thanks anyway.

we never get along..

SouthPaw41L wrote:
nzlectric wrote:

What you're experiencing is normal. Everyone goes through it. Step back, take a few days away from your guitar and just think about what you've learned. Recall the first time you played? You've come a long way haven't you. It just takes time, patience, and sticktuitiveness. When I experience a "rut" in my playing I like to watch  and listen to other guitarists. Step out of your routine and listen to something completely different than you normally do. Frustration is temporary, guitar is forever.........Hang in there,ya dig?

thanks for your encouragement dude.

we never get along..

Roger Guppy wrote:
nzlectric wrote:

You have a had a lot of good advise already posted and I can add little more to what has been said but ask question and give you one suggestion.

The question. What exactly are you stuck on? Maybe you can then be given some specific advice on how to proceed.

The suggestion. Try taking a few lessons. One to one help may be all you need to overcome the current hurdle.

I know it has already been said but to give up now is to waste all the time and effort you have already put in. I think that SouthPaw's suggestion of a short break to contemplate what you have already achieved is very sound advise.

Take care,

Roger

thanks roger. by the way, im still practising on the backing track that you sent me. thanks again for that.
i think im really having a hard time on tab reading, mostly those advance ones. just seems so confusing. and maybe lack of friends to prctice with. cant afford to do a tuition so i bought a dvd lesson.

we never get along..

25Frankster wrote:

Man, how many times have I felt that EXACT same way...usually when I've been locked up playing by myself--I think the cure is to get a couple friends over, get a pizza, play loud & very bad and have fun!  Don't wory so much about getting better, and just relax and have some fun!

thanks.
no friends here dude, im a new immigrant in a new country.

we never get along..

You need too get inspired again ,we all reach apoint where we want too quit.I have done it at least a thousand times.You may be in a rut now but trust me you will come back too playing.Go too a concert or get a video of one of your favroite groups for insperiation.    hope we hear from you soon      dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

If you are having a hard time with tabs make sure to check youtube for the lessons, just remember a lot of people improvise on or transcribe those songs

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

nzlectric wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:
nzlectric wrote:

Take care,

Roger

thanks roger. by the way, im still practising on the backing track that you sent me. thanks again for that.
i think im really having a hard time on tab reading, mostly those advance ones. just seems so confusing. and maybe lack of friends to prctice with. cant afford to do a tuition so i bought a dvd lesson.

Amen!! Having people to practice with REALLY helps. One of my employees brought in her acoustic guitar and we played "Zombie" by the Cranberries and it was SOOOO AWESOME!! We both learned new techniques from each other that we didn't know.

Try to hook up with someone and play, it will change your outlook and ability for the better!

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

As Detman pointed out having someone to play with is a great way to create interest and improve your skills. As you are new to the area and are short on guitar playing friends what better way is there than to use your guitar as an icebreaker.

Why not put some adverts about in shop windows or your local paper asking for someone to jam with as there must be other musicians around, playing alone, who would love to have the chance to make music with you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

23 (edited by BrownSound 2007-08-26 01:44:07)

Wow, what some great replies here.  I too have gotten into and been through a slump.  I quit playing for a a couple of years due to some changes and I find myself struggling to just get back to where I was.  Although where I was isn't really all that good...I've found it not like riding a bicycle.  I am trying to push myself to reach that platau I was at before I quit and it is hard.  There's nothing else I can suggest that hasn't already been suggested here.  I do find that getting together with friends help me some.  It doesn't matter whether they are better, the same or more novice that I...I always learn something.  It's a good thing to get together any time you can.  And I believe I stayed more motivated when I was going to clubs and bars, listening to bands play.  Any way you can stay musically-motivated is a good thing and will help you.  I used to try and learn a new song every month (at least) with tab or by ear.  That helped me some too.

You seem to have a desire to play and that is all you need.  You'll find it.  You'll do it and you will like it.  Try something new.  Hell, try something weird.  You have the skills you need to experiment.  Get down your guitar and do something you have never done.  It doesn't have to be a song.  Bring chords together that you know...in a different way.  Experiment with pull-offs or hammer-ons within the chords you know.  Let your fingers go wild!!!  LOL!!

You'll find it man.  Stay in there and keep rockin!!  Let us all know what you did and understand that we all share your concern.  It's the fear we all have of "that place" we get to sometimes.

Or...at least I do.

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

thanks guys for your advise. 

well i guess it will be hard for me to find someone who wants to play with me here in my place maybe because of cultural differences. dunno i think racism still exist here. you walk on the street and they look at you like you're a freak.

well anyway, im downloading some vids from youtube to study them and try to practice on someones work, i guess that way will be alright.
and a practising some backing tracks that a good guy sent me, named "ROGER GUPPY"
thanks man, i appreciate it!

we never get along..

There's music I don't really like and there is music I like that others do not, but with people who are musically-inclined...there will be a "bridge" somewhere.  It may be hard to find, but even with major differences, people who love, cherish and play music can find that bridge, cross it and find a mutual bond that lasts forever.  Uh....what?  Did I really say that?  Not trying to be philosophical or anything, I just think people who play music and understand it, even at the most basic level, do have a bond others do not.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about the racism.  But I can say that if we ever get together...we won't let any of those people in to hear us play!!!!  wink

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile