Topic: `advice for a newbie

Hello all!
I play guitar like since i was 16. BUT i play very simple songs that don't need any finger magic. Simple chords, simple strokes. And i can sing and my friends can sing along.

But when it comes to something more complicated, or when i need to use barre or fingerpicking - my brain just stops and i can either play or sing.

Can you please advice me on some maybe technics, video courses or smth like that to master this unfortunate thing? I never went to the teacher, i learned to play myself and now i am a grown up woman and don't have time for a teacher.

THank you very much in advance!

Re: `advice for a newbie

Take songs you already know very well, and play all the chords as barre chords up the neck.

I agree,,  learn barre chords...

badeye       cool

one caper after another

I agree with the guys above. Learn the positions of the chords, practice changing from say G to C strumming the same pattern as you would on open chords, but without singing!!!! As you get more proficient it will become second nature as playing open chords do now, then add the singing part.

Good luck, hope this helped

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Another trick of singing and playing for friends for a sing along is as long as your singing is good no one notices the bits you cant play. When you miss a chord out as long as the rhythm is still there or just using vocals to fill the small gap can also work.

I recently made a vid to help with one of your issues.  Its mostly about Palm muting,  but I also cover a Barr chord exercise.Take a look.
https://youtu.be/YFhLOhRXemU
And welcome to our fine neighborhood big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

OMG! So much replies! Thank you all very much!
I will try to switch completely to barre chords and sing.
But with finger-picking will be harder...

Welcome to Chordie, Alice!

Another very helpful on-line resource is Justin Sandercoe's series of free lessons. He's a terrific teacher with a warm casual style, and you can select from a huge menu of techniques from beginner to advanced. I have personally learned a lot from him, and I hope you'll find him helpful:

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Please keep us posted about your progress. There are some really accomplished musicians here on Chordie, and there are also a lot of hackers like myself, and everything in between. This is a very non-competitive yet supportive place to trade ideas with one bond uniting us all ... we love guitars and music!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Welcome to Chordie, Alice!

Another very helpful on-line resource is Justin Sandercoe's series of free lessons. He's a terrific teacher with a warm casual style, and you can select from a huge menu of techniques from beginner to advanced. I have personally learned a lot from him, and I hope you'll find him helpful:

Please keep us posted about your progress. There are some really accomplished musicians here on Chordie, and there are also a lot of hackers like myself, and everything in between. This is a very non-competitive yet supportive place to trade ideas with one bond uniting us all ... we love guitars and music!

Thanks a lot!
I have few songs that i really want to sing while playing. With only finger-piking... I am trying to master them with all your helpful advises. Barres turned out hard cause i have a heavy dreadnought acoustic guitar (Hohner) with very hard strings. I think i need to change strings.

10 gauge strings or maybe 11's i wouldn't go lighter than that or heavier. maybe the action needs to be lowered? take it to a guitar doctor, ask at your local music store.

Phill Williams wrote:

10 gauge strings or maybe 11's i wouldn't go lighter than that or heavier. maybe the action needs to be lowered? take it to a guitar doctor, ask at your local music store.

thats true phil lighter strings can cause trouble. my taylor wont take any thing lighter than 12,s 11,s make it buzz not enough tension on the neck

out of tune out of key and out of touch

hi Mojo, i saw a vid by Joe Walsh where he re-strung a guitar and adjusted the nut, he said it should be done if you change the gauge of your strings. it's well worth getting your guitar set up professionally.

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-04-14 01:17:35)

Aliceinwonder, I am not much of a singer or guitar player here is a song I wrote about the frustration of getting the guitar to play. My friend Darcy is playing the guitar. Keep playing you will get there. I hope you keep us all posted on your progress and maybe we will have the priviledge oneday  of hearing your singing and playing on here.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/come-on-guitar

I tried when I was 13, when my grandparents gave me an acoustic guitar, and I tried for a year. It hurt so much to play. I mean, the fingertips hurt so much, I gave up. Eric Clapton.