Topic: New Amp Day

The price was right for this Fender with 2 12" Celestion speakers
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … -combo-amp

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: New Amp Day

You did say however did you buy one? If so congratulations.  I promised myself I would not buy anything else. At least for a year or two.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Congrats, Russell ... it's got lots of built-in effects and amp modeling, too ... should be lots of fun.

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-04-20 23:25:41)

Russell

Reminds of ....Frank Zappa Joe's  Garage

"It wasn't very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a   little amp
With a sign on the front said "Fender Champ"

And a second hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

We could jam in Joe's Garage
His mama was screamin'
His dad was mad
We was playin' the same old song
In the afternoon 'n' sometimes we would
Play it all night long
It was all we knew, 'n' easy too
So we wouldn't get it wrong
All we did was bend the string like... 

Great Song - Great Music - GREAT PURCHASE RUSSELL !!!!   HAVE FUN - GET A COUPLA QUARTS OF BEER TOO!   smile

Cheers

Jim

Nice purchase Russell  !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Classical Guitar wrote:

You did say however did you buy one? If so congratulations.  I promised myself I would not buy anything else. At least for a year or two.

CG yep I pulled the trigger on the amp and a Dolly to haul it and my other gear. At my age I don't promise anything like the words to a song we play "don't care what kind of car I drive I'm just happy to be here happy to be alive (the end of the line) the best part is the payments are only $9.00 a month for 48 months interest free smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

Congrats, Russell ... it's got lots of built-in effects and amp modeling, too ... should be lots of fun.

yes TF I have heard some good things about this amp, Power sound and the effects looking forward to plugging in my Les Paul and Strat at band rehearsal. thanks smile

Love Zappas songs (Bobby Brown) to bad I don't drink but I will have a coke and jam out and from what I have heard this is one kick a#& amp smile

TIGLJK wrote:

Russell

Reminds of ....Frank Zappa Joe's  Garage

"It wasn't very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a   little amp
With a sign on the front said "Fender Champ"

And a second hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

We could jam in Joe's Garage
His mama was screamin'
His dad was mad
We was playin' the same old song
In the afternoon 'n' sometimes we would
Play it all night long
It was all we knew, 'n' easy too
So we wouldn't get it wrong
All we did was bend the string like... 

Great Song - Great Music - GREAT PURCHASE RUSSELL !!!!   HAVE FUN - GET A COUPLA QUARTS OF BEER TOO!   smile

Cheers

Jim

Nice purchase Russell  !

CONGRATS, NICE AMP.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

CONGRATS, NICE AMP.

Thanks beamer I am stuck at home waiting on FedEx to deliver it I think I will use my LP just to see what kind of depth the amp has and then my Strat for those nice clean Fender tones. smile

These are good amps, congrats on the purchase!!

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

neophytte wrote:

These are good amps, congrats on the purchase!!

I agree!  I unboxed it after I unboxed the hand truck 1st and put the wheels on I do have several bungee chords in the trunk of my car that will come in handy the amp sounds great I do like the amp  modeling effect I will bypass using the onboard effects and go with my floor boxes which are Boss ME-50 (old faithful)  ,Atomic, and eletro harmonix C9 box along with my Boss 20xl loop box cant wait for rehearsal Tuesday.

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-04-22 09:35:43)

A lot of amp manufacturers are putting digital modelling into some attractively priced solid-state amps these days. Line 6, Fender, Vox, and even Marshall have quite a number of them, and the few I've tried have sounded great. For someone who doesn't want to shell out for a tube amp & pedals (or lug them all around) these are terrific alternatives. Very portable, with lots of options on board.

Tenement Funster wrote:

A lot of amp manufacturers are putting digital modelling into some attractively priced solid-state amps these days. Line 6, Fender, Vox, and even Marshall have quite a number of them, and the few I've tried have sounded great. For someone who doesn't want to shell out for a tube amp & pedals (or lug them all around) these are terrific alternatives. Very portable, with lots of options on board.

I do have tremolo, reverb, and delay but no stereo chorus so the ME-50 is important it also has a volume pedal and my Atomic Amplifier effects are programmable, the Atomic was a bit expensive ($600.00) but one of my students purchased it for a years worth of lessons which expired last month so all it cost me was 1 hr of my time each week the old barter system still works. lol

Russell_Harding wrote:
beamer wrote:

CONGRATS, NICE AMP.

Thanks beamer I am stuck at home waiting on FedEx to deliver it I think I will use my LP just to see what kind of depth the amp has and then my Strat for those nice clean Fender tones. smile

Dial in that nasty Neil Young rocking tone!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:
beamer wrote:

CONGRATS, NICE AMP.

Dial in that nasty Neil Young rocking tone!

I am impressed!  I cranked out some nice bluesy riffs and a  little crunch Skynyrd  It most definitely has the punch I need smile

I've used Fender amps twice in my life time and was so impressed that buying one got on my bucket list. The only thing that detered me was the price. Over here they'd be twice the price you paid, at least. Enjoy it and think of me sitting here all envious.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

I've used Fender amps twice in my life time and was so impressed that buying one got on my bucket list. The only thing that detered me was the price. Over here they'd be twice the price you paid, at least. Enjoy it and think of me sitting here all envious.

wow that is some heavy price hikes hard to believe they charge double in the UK  it is taxes or import fees that determine the cost in the UK?

Bit of both I expect Russ. Maybe the prices have gone down lately, I'll check and get back to you on that one in all honesty I haven't looked for many years.

£254 for what looks like the same amp. Two fender speakers!!!

Phill Williams wrote:

£254 for what looks like the same amp. Two fender speakers!!!

That is almost $100.00 less then what I paid using the dollars to pound conversion L243.55 if you can afford it BUY you wont regret it smile

I'm happy with my Peavy which is quite powerful enough and heavy enough. I've more or less given up gigging so buying a new amp is not really cost effective as Ann is already on at me to sell my gear. Something I'm loath to do as I might get the performing but again, or maybe join a band...I think I'd like to do that...one day...

Phill Williams wrote:

I'm happy with my Peavy which is quite powerful enough and heavy enough. I've more or less given up gigging so buying a new amp is not really cost effective as Ann is already on at me to sell my gear. Something I'm loath to do as I might get the performing but again, or maybe join a band...I think I'd like to do that...one day...

Your situation is quite different from mine,  but if you get a chance to get in a band do it! I get together once a week with a drummer and a bass player and we have a blast  we have built up quite a list of songs from the 60,s to the late 70,s not to mention the oldies we throw in for the right audience you ain't getting any younger so enjoy while you can.