Topic: Eurovision Song Contest: thoughts about the winner and participants

Just watched this with friends. We love the campiness and silliness of Eurovision. When the Israeli contestant began, we all got pretty quiet until someone said, "That's hella racist, right?" Yeah, yeah it is. UGH and then that act won, and now that's the image of Eurovision for the next year.

Also as a feminist, just gonna say this is not female empowerment.

Austria put on a great performance. And the woman from Estonia could absolutely sing opera professionally if she wanted to.

cheers

Re: Eurovision Song Contest: thoughts about the winner and participants

Wasn't it "Eurovision" where the pop group ABBA made their way into the public spotlight?

Tenement Funster wrote:

Wasn't it "Eurovision" where the pop group ABBA made their way into the public spotlight?

Yes, it was

cheers

al3c wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Yes, it was

Thanks for the confirmation. We don't usually see "Eurovision" here in Canada, but I knew it sounded familiar.

And by the way, a big welcome to Chordie! We're a global community of guitarists / music lovers, with talent levels ranging from beginners to professionals, and we all love music from many genres. We hope you'll take an active part in the Discussion Forums. The supportive sharing of information and constructive tone here works for the benefit of us all, in a non-competitive environment.

https://media.giphy.com/media/k7M8DJz80wzKg/giphy.gif

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-05-16 06:43:26)

Welcome to Chordie al3c . Living down here in the bottom of the south Pacific Euro is not something I am up with. I am not sure if it is because I am a old dude or it doesn't come to this part of the planet.  But I can tell  you about my mother when I was younger she had a record by a lady called Sandie Shaw called Puppet On  A String. It was one of those annoying type of songs and if she put it on the record player I would leave the room. She would always say to me, "it won the Eurovision contest you know so it must be good". My mum is now 97 and we  were recently  reminiscing about the past. We  were talking about old songs we liked when Puppet On A String came into the conversation, she said to me "that song was stupid and sexist".  I reminded her, " you use to love that song so what has changed your opinion.over the years" ? Any way she told me "I only played it repeatedly as a way of  annoying  my boyfriend so he would go home If I had enough of him hanging around".