Topic: Time For Class (Or So THAT'S Why They Cost So Much!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k&t=2037s

This is about creating guitars. You have probably seen something like this before (or maybe even this one), but if you never have, give it a watch.

Afterward, ask yourself "What would Stradivarius have done?)"

As a favor to me and our other friends, I sure would appreciate it if our friend Classical Guitar could find a similar video.

Have fun!

Your Friend

Bill

PS: No test afterward. lol

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Time For Class (Or So THAT'S Why They Cost So Much!)

Thanks for this, Bill ...

Fascinating to watch, isn't it? I posted a similar YouTube link last October, essentially following the same process at Greenfield Guitars in Montreal:

https://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33584

The amount of work and attention to detail that goes into a quality guitar is astounding, and it really does justify the price of a high end instrument.

3 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-05-24 21:12:35)

Bill what you find in building a classical guitar is depending on the builder and how many he builds a year, each one builds one differently. Here is just one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSU8lfWs00

And here is one who builds it differently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yYHh9goI0

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-05-25 00:14:03)

Thanks, my friends for those videos. While watching both, I kept asking myself, "How do they know when to stop chiselling???"
If I ever even came 1/100th of the way to constructing either model and messed up, know what I'd do? Ever heard of Pete Townshend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjN5uHRIcjM

No. Of course I would never do that. Besides those pieces (not Pete's) could be re-used.

I found those videos so interesting and would like to spend a day with a luthier and promise not to get in the way.

Back in my broadcasting days, I once interviewed a gentleman who carved various items out of different types of woods. African Mahogany was one I especially remember. As he worked he talked about how much he loved wood and told me stories of the many types of wood he had used in his art.
I sat there mesmerized until he said, "Ready for some dinner?" Two  hours had passed. It was like listening to J.R.R.Tolkien.
Thanks TF and Classical Guitar for taking the time to link me to those vids.

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-25 09:39:54)

One the most intriguing aspects of guitar building I've enjoyed learning about, is the various ways luthiers have come up with to attach the neck to the body. The ones in my small collection have these variations:

1) Neck-thru-Body
The "neck" goes straight from the head stock to the butt, and the "body" is comprised of wings that are added afterwards. When constructed of 5 or more layers of woods, it creates an incredibly stable and rigid neck, while still allowing for a truss rod for minor adjustments. My Thunderbird Bass is built this way, and ESP Guitars builds a lot of models in this way.

2) Dovetail Set Neck
Where a dove tail neck base is used to attach it into a mortise-and-tenon type of joint in the body, and usually glued ... most Gibsons are done this way, as is my Epiphone Les Paul and my Takamine 12-string.

3) Bolt-on-Neck
I don't own a Fender, but most of them are built with a separate neck attached to the body of the guitar by 3, 4 or sometimes 5 bolts. It's a quicker / easier method, so often appears on more budget conscious guitars, without really compromising them in any way.

4) Reverse Shoe Set Neck
My old Norman ST30 is similar to a set neck, except that there is no "shoe" visible on the outside where it joins the body. Instead, the shoe is inside the guitar, making it a bit of an oddity. They're not using this method anymore (don't know why) but it's very stable. I bought it in 1978, and it's still perfectly straight and holds tune very well.

5) Spanish Heel
This is an older European way of doing it, where the side pieces of the guitar's body are inserted into slots in the butt of the neck, so that it becomes a fully integrated unit when complete. The result is increased sustain, and lots of dynamic overtone in the voice of the guitar. My Cordoba is built this way, and it has a very unique voice with the 5ths and 7ths quietly ringing in harmony to every note.

This is where the art of lutherie meets the art of music ... a truly beautiful marriage!

Bill
Thanks for the video
I built a strat earlier this year.( I posted pics here somewhere on chordie)  It took me 4 months.
There is so much that goes into building a guitar - must be much harder to build an acoustic or classical guitar.
I was really impressed with the info on the finish. I used lacquer.  I also wish I had their buffer ! smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I love to watch videos of luthiers and their different styles and methods. Thanks for posting everyone.

Luthier Wayne Henderson has always fascinated me. Some of the world's greatest acoustic pickers play his instruments. He sells his guitars for around $5000 but there is a 10 year waiting list. If guitar stores get a used one they usually go for $15000 -$35000.  Watching the videos of  other luthiers and how clean and neat they keep their shops, its a wonder that Wayne can produce the quality of guitars that he does in his crowded, seemingly disorganized shop. He also tours and plays all over the world so how he has found time to produce the hundreds of guitars he has sold amazes me.  Here is a short interview and shop tour done a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0mER1_g4c

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Do you notice how quiet-natured and patient those folks are? I bet in real life it either takes a lot of effort to make them angry or very little effort. Know what I mean? smile

I think I'd rather just sit in the shop, watch, listen and help clean up. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

TIGLJK. TF et al.; I sure enjoyed reading about the different styles of guitar-making, and you're exactly right, TF about the marriage of wood and music. Whenever I'd get a catalogue like the one from Musicians; Friend I remember thinking, "Why do I need to spend $3,000 for an instrument that sounds and plays the same?" I'm getting away from that kind of thinking as  I watch and listen to the luthiers.

A couple of  stories that, while not  about guitar-making are appropriate just the same.

==================================================

Pope Sixtus iv, impatient to have the Sistine Chapel ceiling finished as quickly as possible, asked Michelangelo when he would finish. "When I can", answered  the great artist, I imagine it would be the same answer given by any of the luthiers we're discussing here.

A young man had applied and received a job in The US Treasury. One day he asked his supervisor about the advancement opportunities. Pointing to a rolling bin which contained stacks of bills, the supervisor answered, "If, after two weeks, this still looks like money to you, I'd consider another line of work." Here again, another example of "vision failure". If one cannot envision a beautiful guitar made from that piece of wood one is looking at, fergeddabout it.! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass