Topic: A Couple Of Questions Re: Your Listening Habits

So  you just spent a few bucks to stream or play on cd an artist (s) you really like, sit back and prepare to listen to track 1. It's a slow tune and doesn't really grab me, but I decide to "wait it out"). Track 2 also is a slow tune, and it's my usual habit to stop playback and plan to come back later to finish listening.......

Time passes. (Maybe a week or two) and as I look through the music (in this case cd's) which need refiling, I see that particular album, and remembering my first listening experience, decide to skip it again, and choose something a little more upbeat.

Do I ever go back and give this artist the "listening" he or she deserves?

The quick answer is probably not, but there are so many other factors in play here. To name a couple: my age, my mood at the time, stress and the fact that not liking the first two cuts has now "imprinted" itself on my brain, which silently reminds me of the first experience and again I choose not to listen.

There are quite a few times this has happened. So many, in fact, that I marked the cd's waiting to be played.

Am I  musically prejudicial?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: A Couple Of Questions Re: Your Listening Habits

Yes!

I call slow, draggie songs suicide fodder. One or two slow tracks on a CD or live show is ok but not for the whole thing! Which is why the Snow Patrol CD I bought a few years back has only been played once...no hum

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-30 09:52:47)

Bill, you always start such great conversations, and your preface really got me thinking.

We all have lots of different expectations when we pick up a new album, and I suppose none of us are exactly the same every day. A lot of things can vary how we approach new music, and those can change each day. Personally, I don't automatically go for toe-tapping music. I enjoy longer slower compositions as much as shorter up-tempo pieces, and usually like a song that has both.

The first thing I want to hear on a new album is creativity, i.e., I like a surprise. If that seems to be missing from the first few tracks, I'll sample through the remaining ones to see if it surfaces. And more often than not, a track / album that didn't get my attention first time around may eventually become a favorite. My all time personal example of this is Jethro Tull's "Passion Play" (1973).

Gidday Bill
i`m always looking for something new/different.It`s pretty hard to find anyone
playing music  from a new viewpoint.It seems the same stuff is going round and round.
I still like the classic stuff but hanker for truly original stuff.
After two tracks i kinda know if it will excite me.But of course good music often takes
some getting into,so i often persevere,often rewarded.
but in these days of easily accessible free music it`s getting harder to immerse yourself
in an artist when there`s millions of others to choose from.
hopefully the reemergence of vinyl will get us back to listening to an album as a whole again.

The King Of Audio Torture