Topic: Beatles Show Great Musicianship Early - Decca Audition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMlZxHk938

Paul especially. Listen at about 1:50. The song is called "Till There Was You" (from the play and movie "The Music Man").

Have any of you ever been in the position of playing a song, played it beautifully, but then looked at each other with "lost" looks as if to say, "Oh God! How're we going to end this thing?" Well, Paul shows they must have practiced that ending numerous times before they got it just right. It sounds tricky (to a drummer) because he comes in on an off-beat (please correct terminology) and there you go: Perfect set-up for the ending.

That "intricacy" comes out again (unsuccessfully) in the song "September In The Rain" with its sloppy ending.

Well, sure. There were mistakes. Pete Best rushing the beat (but thankfully staying away from most of the "fills", is one I noticed. Some of the lyrics, etc.

Paul also shows his vocal ability - unafraid to let that little bit of vibrato come out.

But Deccca still rejected them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZofvIcXOE&t=86s  The guy who "fell on his sworsd" appears in the video just above. He says he's feeling"better now".

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Beatles Show Great Musicianship Early - Decca Audition

the one thing that stands out for me is the reverb used on the vocals which George Martin used much more sparingly and of course how the performances were polished up. the actual sound is crystal clear though. i must ask the question; would they have been so big if they had gone with Decca? i don't think so.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-06-06 00:58:58)

To me the Beatles were awesome.  They are the great deceivers however !

They make you believe that every song is a simple few chords. and then they always complicate it.
They were pioneers - unafraid to introduce new aspects of musical performance - attached to genius arrangements and powerful lyrics.
They weren't afraid to do crazy and non-sensical songs, nor were they afraid to tackle social issues. The fact that they appeal to multiple generations validates their worthiness to be called the best ever.

They had the perfect blend of voices, the perfect blend of musical talent, the perfect blend of appearances, and the great  ability to build off each other - hence the perfect team.
and best of all - they had fun !!
I believe they are the reason why music became so greatly powerful in the 60's. I was only 12 when I first saw them- my sisters went insane!
I can't think of a Beatles song that was recorded that wasn't a great song in some way.
Any time a Beatles song comes on the radio - somehow I know the words.

They were one of a kind, never to be replicated !   Ride in the car with anyone - when a Beatles song comes on- everyone's feet tap and people sing along !

Phill - I believe they would have made any record label successful - they were that remarkable.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

To me the Beatles were awesome.  They are the great deceivers however !

They make you believe that every song is a simple few chords. and then they always complicate it.
They were pioneers - unafraid to introduce new aspects of musical performance - attached to genius arrangements and powerful lyrics.

Truer words were never spoken! I say this kindly, in that they could be superficial enough to appeal to the masses, yet musically sophisticated enough to appeal to the musicians. Few have done it as well as they did.