1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-06-09 21:32:53)

Topic: Off-Topic (A Little)

If I were Prince Harry, unless he doesn't already know how, I would learn to play guitar, piano and /or any other musical instrument, publish and record some songs and get out amongst the people - his people, and entertain them. I mean, it's not as if he'll ever have to worry about getting the Crown - or is it?

I am sure there'd be all kinds of "Royal Rumblings", but if I read my British history correctly, he wouldn't be the only Royal to have composed and performed his music.

Well, maybe not in public, but still. What thinkest thou, my fellow peasants, troubadors and jesters?

Wilhelm

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Off-Topic (A Little)

ach zo mine herr! you vant da head chopp-ed offn?

seriously though, i heard that prince Charles bought a guitar similar to John Lennon's back in the 60's. and they reckon that Henry the 8th wrote green sleeves, i don't think he recorded it though?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-06-10 01:33:19)

Mein Herr Wilhelm great idea though I am not sure if Harry would be allowed to join Queen as a band member once he started playing in public. Maybe he could come to chordie for good music advice?   I supose you would already know the royal connection to Germany.   Edward VII and, in turn, his son, George V, were members of the German ducal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha by virtue of their descent from Albert, Prince Consort, husband of Queen Victoria, the last British monarch from the House of Hanover. High anti-German sentiment amongst the people of the British Empire during World War I reached a peak in March 1917, when the Gotha G.IV, a heavy aircraft capable of crossing the English Channel, began bombing London directly and became a household name. In the same year, on 15 March, King George's first cousin, Nicholas II, the Emperor of Russia, was forced to abdicate, which raised the spectre of the eventual abolition of all the monarchies in Europe. The King and his family were finally convinced to abandon all titles held under the German Crown and to change German titles and house names to anglicised versions. Hence, on 17 July 1917, a royal proclamation issued by George V declared:
Now, therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor....
The name had a long association with monarchy in Britain, through the town of Windsor, Berkshire, and Windsor Castle where Harry and Meghan got marrried.

Thanks for that Pete, very informative, as usual. Obviously your title of LoreMaster is deservedly earned.

Phill Williams wrote:

ach zo mine herr! you vant da head chopp-ed offn?

seriously though, i heard that prince Charles bought a guitar similar to John Lennon's back in the 60's. and they reckon that Henry the 8th wrote green sleeves, i don't think he recorded it though?

Nein nicht den Kopf ab-cutten, bitte! smile

Although I did read that Harry was very active on the club circuit at one time.Seriously, what a life those boys must have led while growing up, but then they probably knew nothing else other than their subjects were just that and not playmates. I don't know, Phill but even though there have been some bad times, if I had to choose I'd choose this one over a monarchy anytime. Maybe he could just play and record in private, but there I go again: There's no law that I know of that states a royal has to be anything other than what he is, right? smile

Danke!

Wilhelm

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Pete, yes, I did learn from reading my German history about the Germans and Brits intermarrying. Also how "torn up" Victoria was over Albert's death. (We left Germany when I was 11 and I felt it incumbent to learn as much of my heritage as I could - yes even that part. sad

I guess Harry would be a welcome addition to our band of misfits? Or maybe not? smile One thing for sure: He'd like that lullaby of yours. I believe it would have made him think of his Mum and that she might have sung it to him and WIll when they were little and you had it published. I can't say enough good things about that song of yours, and I hope you see it all the way through to a CD/MP3 with it! As Germans say, "Augen zu und durch!" smile

I sure didn't know about the G IV bomber though, so thanks for that and the information on the name changes.  A bit of trivia, if I may? The British didn't want to call a particular breed of dog a "German" Shepherd, so they called them "Alsatians" instead. Don't know if they still do, though. And I don't know the veracity of this one, but I believe we German humans were referred to as "Aryans" for a while.

Speaking of the wedding, I think all of the male Royals wear the coolest-looking uniforms! I really liked those golden high collars.

Thanks, Pete

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Pete,   (We left Germany when I was 11 

Bill

SAY WHAAAT ?

I didn't know that ~

I was just thinking about Royalty the other day...... what exactly makes the better than anyone else?

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-06-11 03:15:23)

Ja, mein Freund. Mein Vater hat meine Deutschland Mutter in Deutschland geheirated.

Okay, let me save you a trip to the translation engine..... smile..... Yes, my friend. My father met and married my German mother after WWII and I was born in 1949. He was stationed in Germany until he brought me, my brother and my mother to the USA in 1960 and I've been here since then except one time when I tried to move back (long story, but let's just say that too much time had passed and the culture shock of living there again got to me and I came back to the US.). I am still fluent in the language since I was 11 when we came over and English is actually my second language. smile

What makes the Royals better than the rest of us? Nothing, Jim, absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, I feel sorry for them sometimes - not being able to 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEu9Rn-PaE

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar? smile

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

What makes any one better than another. Be they general's, royalty, presidents or dictators! I detest people that "lead" their armies in to battle....from behind, a long way behind. Which is why I have great respect for Nelson who was in the thick of battles and died amongst his sailors.

I also have little respect for "fat cats" million or billionaires that get richer by extorting as much money from the poor as they can get away with. An example of which are the UK government backed money lenders charging over1000% interest rates from desperate people. And they say dictatorship is bad?

Ann think Harry, by the way, is brilliant

PS. I used to work for a German company called Thyssen. Best job I've had. The Germans that came over with the firm were brilliant, their kids...not so as they had become Anglicised and very arrogant.
Dogs.
They are known commonly as German shepherds. I didn't know why it was only us that called them Alsatians. The trivia you can pickup on this site is amazing.

I believe it was Hitler and his cronies that called themselves Aryan's as they believed themselves decended from the Atlantians!