1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-12-06 04:35:48)

Topic: Marketing Music And Getting A Financial Return

I meet up with a group of friends including Easy Beat  usually once a week and one of the things we have debated about is the fickle bussiness of copyright and publishing music. I thought I better look into it more.         The origin of copyright law began with efforts by the church and governments to regulate and control the output of printers. I have learnt that many artist have received a pittance in royalties simply  because they signed away their copyright.  This is called assigning your copyright to a third party. Music must be one of the most over-hyped and unregulated industry of all time. The great publishing houses of the 1940's were active in one thing exploitation of the work of songwriters who wrote to order. to meet the demands of popular singers and Broadway musicals of the big band era. Many songwriter were on salaries. Writers started to realise the  enormous capacity of  their work to mesmerise a nation and catapult  the recording artist to fame.
A movement began towards songwriters sharing the copywrite royalties. Why not publish yourself? The better known companies have the ability to  market and make more money from your writing than you can do yourself. Another advantage of a big label or music publisher is they will collect- vigorously- every cent owed to you. So how does it work for the publisher or record company?  The copyright payment is deducted  immediately from the  amount  paid by the retailer or what business buys your song. It is then paid to the publisher- the owner of the copyright or held in a seperate account until claimed by the rightful owner.
What you get depends on what your percentage agreement is with your publisher. Anyone can be a publisher. You just need an address a computer and a standard contract. and the ability to convince the writer it is a good idea for you to exploit their work for the life of the copyright. Which now also means up to after fifty years after the death of the writer. Many songwriters have been taken to the cleaners through signing bad contracts,

When the person on the street buy's 'someone else's  music it does not provide the rights to use this music in a commercial or public setting. Music is sold for private/domestic use, so any use of this music by a business or organisation is a public performance that requires licensing. The same rule applies whether you have purchased a physical CD, bought a digital download or stream music through a subscription service. 
Modern day  International copyright can be traced back to the  British Statute of Anne 1710.. Initially copyright law only applied to the copying of books. Copyright now covers a wide range of works, including maps, performances, paintings, photographs, sound recordings, motion pictures and computer programes..
Today national copyright laws have been standardised to some extent through international and regional agreements such as the Berne Convention and the European copyright directives. Although there are consistencies among nations' copyright laws, each jurisdiction has separate and distinct laws and regulations about copyright. Some jurisdictions also recognize moral rights of creators, such as the right to be credited for the work.

Re: Marketing Music And Getting A Financial Return

APRA takes care of a lot of this for Australians: http://apraamcos.com.au/about-us/what-we-do/

I was receiving a cheque (back in the days of cheques!!) about once a month for $50 or so, from playing gigs and songs broadcast on the radio, and had my APRA membership up on the wall ... if I updated my address in their database, I'd probably get a cheque for 10c today wink

Cheers for the history lesson, though!!

Richard

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

What is more important is  what you are currently doing to make a return.  I usually get 20% of those who pay to attend plus CD's that one of my better students sells for me and each one i s signed by me  beforehand. I also play free for some  charities and SPCA in a several areas.  So sometimes it is not about pay  that is important. It depends on the venue  or where the concert is being held.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

i read the other day that copyright owners can charge thousands (of whatever currency you like) for just a few seconds of a song played on an advertisement or in a film or TV show.

in the UK pub landlords have to purchase a license  to play music on a jukebox, and a bigger one for live music which is paid to the publishers and a smaller share to the writers and of course the owners of the recordings. so many snouts in the trough, eh? I wonder how it would work if the live artists only played original music?

i understand that Lennon/McCartney made very little in royalties while Epstein was alive, but once they employed Kline their fortunes grew exponentially.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill your right the copyright owners make the big money. Back in 1963, when the Beatles released their first album, a publishing company was formed called Northern Songs. The majority owners were U.K. music publisher Dick James, the Beatles’ manager Brian Epstein, and Lennon/McCartney (with the other two Beatles garnering 20 percent each). When the company went public two years later, Lennon and McCartney ended up with 15 percent stakes each (with George Harrison and Ringo Starr taking away negligible shares).
Later on in 1969, Dick James sold his shares to ATV Music, giving them a majority share and ownership of the Beatles catalogue.  Years later Michael Jackson brought the Beatles catalogue.it cost him $47.5 million. If you look on line you will see that Paul McCartney is involved in some sort of legal action to get the catalogue back.To cut a long story short Paul and John lost big money through bad advice and others ended up with their publishing rights over time for those early Beatle songs.,

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-06-12 02:38:38)

I'm always learning something from you guys and Pete I look forward to your teachings! This thread is especially fitting because it's showing me how things work, in Australia, England and here in the "colonies". smile It also lets me get to know you fellows and ladies better.

I recently had the immense pleasure of e-mailing back and forth with Dr. Barry Cooper, PhD who interpreted Beethoven's Tenth Symphony. He very kindly sent me  some copies of the hymn "Pange Lingua" contained within which I now have on my antique music stand. As we continued to communicate, I asked him about the score to the streaming Tenth Symphony and he referred me to his publisher.

After I wrote the publisher, I received an answer and a price quote of $149.00 USD for the book containing the entire score.

I don't happen to have $149.99 at hand and it bothered me to the point to where I wrote Barry (we were on a first name basis by then) back and meekly explained that I am only a drummer learning to play guitar, but that I share his love for "The Maestro" and love hearing his interpretation of The Tenth Symphony. I told him I hoped I had not misled him into thinking I was anything other than just a rock drummer and the closest I ever came to actually playing and Beethoven was in high school when I flubbed a beat on the bass drum during the "Eroica". addendum]: I also told him to please not infer that I was asking him to send me his score as a gift, nor would I accept it under those conditions.

He answered me very cordially, said he hadn't been offended or taken advantage of, and that's how we left it. I will always treasure the few words which passed between us and his music occupies the same music file as does our friend Classical Guitar's whose music I also admire and who has graced Dondra and me with a special composition.

I think I may have written about Barry Cooper before, but may not have told you the outcome of our correspondence,

So many good things have happened to me lately, but the best is being a member here and getting to know some very talented musicians, poets and teachers!

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-06-12 04:57:45)

Cheers, Bill chordie has a lot of interesting and talented kind people on here. You, Classical Guitar , Neo and Phill plus the many others who pass on their valuable innsights and knowledge. Also I must  thank Neo for mentioning  APRA which does alot of the work required here in NZ and Australia to make sure songwriters get their proper royalties. They also have done alot of work in our schools with our youth who are into performing and composing  teaching them about music and the industry.
The Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) is a copyright collective representing Australian and New Zealander composers, lyricists and music publishers.

Thank you

Pete

Our Canadian version of those organizations is SOCAN, which oddly enough is the initials for Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada. Even though they obviously can't spell worth a hoot, their mission statement is: SOCAN is dedicated to upholding the fundamental truths that music has value and music creators and publishers deserve fair compensation for their work. It's main purpose is prevent commercial exploitation of copyright music, but they don't come down on folks just sharing a tune here and there for personal entertainment.