1 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-06-15 13:16:45)

Topic: Violin

I have started to take Violin lessons.  Are there any other Violin  players? My instructor heard me play  classical guitar before and said a violin would be easier to learn. It still fills funny to hold and play but with 4 strings I am determined to learn it well.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Violin

I always wanted to do that-seemed way harder than guitar- so I passed on any attempt

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

You might want to reconsider specially if you can read normal music. I played Moonlight Sonata on my forth lesson. At least for me Violin seems easier than when I first took lessons to learn classical  and I took lessons from two instructors at the time.  Th e biggest difference is you learn position without frets. Once you learn that part the rest is practice. I have a friend who plays an electric freetless bass and he sounds very good. His bass has a neck with a steeper pitch than a standard bass.

I notice here in NZ most kids who go to Montessori schools learn the violin not sure why that is but their school orchestra's are  excellent and put out a good sound. My attempts at violin didnt work out well I struggled with the bowing technique, I gave my violin to a friend who played classical guitar and in a short time he  was playing it to a good standard.

Congratulations, CG ... I hope you enjoy it and find it rewarding. I've never played one (the tiny size is intimidating) but have been told there are unique challenges to getting good with it, like every instrument. Your extensive knowledge of music itself should give you a running start. All the best!

My teacher wanted me to use a longer and stiffer bow. It made me sound like a terrible stretch sound.  So I am back with a llighter bow . I want to play well and still not give up my normal practice time on classical guitar.