Topic: Bass Lust

My favorite guitar shop did their nasty trick on me again this past week. They unlocked their doors. So, them having gone through all that trouble of unlocking the doors, I walked through them when I was in their neighborhood and had twenty minutes to kill.

They have two acoustic rooms. One for guitars only, and another for non-guitar folk and orchestral instruments. One of those instruments were Gold Tone and Kala micro-bass guitars. The Kala didn't impress me much, but the Gold Tone AE micro-basses with mahogany bodies were amazing. It sounded like a rich old doghouse bass. How they get such rich and wonderful tone out of those little bodies I don't know. Probably those monstrous strings. But now I really want a Gold Tone Micro-bass. That's the next thing I'll save for. Or perhaps I'll sell my Ovation solid-body as I never play it. Or my Martin 12 string as I don't play it much either.

So anyway, I've now got bass lust for a Gold Tone AE micro-bass.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone … ro-bass-23

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by Dirty Ed 2018-07-23 02:04:59)

Re: Bass Lust

Oh, man - my brain is on a totally  different wave length Zurf.  When I read the title of your post the first thing I thought of was lust for a 20" smallmouth bass......... smile

Are you still interested in my Ohio Valley acoustic, or has the 23" scale micro-bass now went to the top of the list?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I am still interested in that guitar DE. I want to convert one of my guitars to an open tuning slide guitar, which will necessitate a high bridge and a nut cover such that it won't be real easy to go back and forth.  I'd be more likely to sell my Martin 12 string, which I don't use near as much as I thought I would, or possibly my Ovation solid-body bass, in order to buy the micro-bass. Not sure if the Breedlove I bought from you will become a slide guitar, or the Ohio Valley.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I too, was looking for a huge fish you might have caught or a fishing song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_UHEzxSgg

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Zurf wrote:

I am still interested in that guitar DE. I want to convert one of my guitars to an open tuning slide guitar, which will necessitate a high bridge and a nut cover such that it won't be real easy to go back and forth.  I'd be more likely to sell my Martin 12 string, which I don't use near as much as I thought I would, or possibly my Ovation solid-body bass, in order to buy the micro-bass. Not sure if the Breedlove I bought from you will become a slide guitar, or the Ohio Valley.

I know you already have the hat, and I'm assuming you have the proper sunglasses to play blues on a slide guitar smile

I've also got an older Sigma DM-3 that is already set pretty high and could be converted to play slide. I'd sell it for a lot less than the OV.

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I know you already have the hat, and I'm assuming you have the proper sunglasses to play blues on a slide guitar smile

I've also got an older Sigma DM-3 that is already set pretty high and could be converted to play slide. I'd sell it for a lot less than the OV.

DE

Joey offered me a free guitar for converting to slide. I just very much liked the way that Ohio Valley felt and sounded. If you have another fish on the line who is willing to purchase, let me know. I don't want to put you on the spot, but that guitar just really felt and sounded like something worth having. I am specializing my guitars in the set-up. The Guild is set at moderate action with heavy strings for flat picking. The Breedlove (at least for now) is set with very low action and extra light gauge strings to help me with learning some of the Pop/Rock chords up the neck. The Takemine is the overall do everything guitar. And when I get the Ohio Valley guitar, I'm going to either set it for slide or swap the lineup position with the Breedlove - depending on how they feel. I'll try them each in each position and whichever sound and feel I prefer is what it will wind up.

And yeah, I've got some solid black metal framed sunglasses that are a cross between wayfarers and clubman style that would be just right for playing some blues on a porch.

I've been working on flatpicking some of the old style country gospel. It's not going very well, but I'm working it.

The OV has been in a humidified case and waiting for you ever since you told me you were interested, and it'll be there unless you tell me otherwise.  Cool that you plan to have different set-ups with your guitars.  Have you thought about a Nashville tuned axe too?

I wish you lived closer.  For the past six months I've been attending Monday evening jams with with a bunch of old gospel and country pickers/singers that used to play in local groups and did some touring years ago. (At 68, I'm one of the youngest that attends)  We play for about 3 1/2 hours at a rec center, have coffee, donuts and bean soup/spaghetti/pulled pork or whatever someone brings. A few weeks ago there were four guitars, two dobros, two banjos, two mandos and three fiddles although most times its about half that number.  Some of those folks can still belt out some strong vocals on them old gospel songs and the harmonies can be amazing at times.  I'm leaving for the jam in about an hour and I'm getting fired up just thinking about it.

DE

Sounds like a little piece of heaven, Dirty Ed. I'm going so slow with it that I'd be embarrassed to show up, except to listen in. There's a bit of method to my madness in that I am learning to play it while relearning to read, and studying how the notes fit together to make a melody. I need to relearn music to make any progress on violin - so it's two birds with one stone. Three if you count the theory work. But that does make it real slow progress. I like just banging out strummers for fun. The flat-picking is more of a learning exercise, and those old tunes in G or C are all read good ones.

Are you planning to go to Amy and Jim's in August?

Yep, unless something major comes up I plan to be at the backyard gathering.

This evening was another good'un.  One bass, 5 acoustics, two banjos, two fiddles, one dobro, one mando and about an extra 20 folks that just came to listen. We played for about 3 hours and then after most folks left, four of us sat around and played some old Merle, Willie, Hank and Johnny tunes for another hour.

DE

That's a very different bass guitar than I've ever seen, Zurf ... 23" scale, eh? They're usually around a 34" scale, so it would feel weird for someone used to regular fret spacing. I also wondered about how "big" the voice would be on such a small box, but glad to hear it sounds good. My advice? Buy it!

Zurf - cool guitar

Is Bass easier to play than a regular  guitar ?
I have no idea - I have never even held a Bass guitar.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Bass guitar is different from regular guitar. For the most part, unless you're playing some jazz fusion stuff, it's one note at a time. Also, the bass style that I like is not trying to run the show but to provide a foundation for the other musicians to build on. A really good bass player can not only keep the beat but also move the song along rhythmically while permitting the vocals to remain pure and simple. Jim Croce and Gordon LIghtfoot are examples of what I consider this style of bass playing (and interestingly - same guy playing bass on a lot of the songs).  But, bass can also create a riff that continues while keyboards and guitar are varying that theme all over the place. The Guess Who did that a lot, and Blood Sweat & Tears.

So, I'd say that playing bass is a whole different approach to making music than playing guitar. I find it easier, but it's where I come from. I've only ever played guitar in the way that you may have heard on my contributions to the Song Of The Month forum. Pretty much limited to country/folk style. But for bass, I've played orchestral music, show tunes, big band jazz, Dixieland jazz, blues, and Christian rock. And not only bass guitar, but also bass trombone, tuba, and upright bass. So I feel more comfortable being able to pick up a bass and make up a line that won't hurt the song and play with others than with guitar. But that's why I learned guitar in the first place. I mostly play alone in my basement office, and playing bass alone is kind of boring. The guys on the CD are going to do exactly the same thing every time and there is no spontenaity or connection. I much prefer when I'm in a band and the rhythm section locks in with one another and you've got rhythm guitar, percussion, traps, and bass all connected and creating an unassailable groove. That's heaven. But it's not something that happens alone. Whereas with guitar I can play alone (almost said play with myself) in my basement and still feel like I'm learning and improving and making music, or something that approaches it.

Zurf wrote:

Whereas with guitar I can play alone (almost said play with myself) in my basement and still feel like I'm learning and improving and making music, or something that approaches it.

:0  smile    smile