Topic: Bass Guitar Strings?

For the bass players among us, I'm wondering what you like for strings?

My Thunderbird came with standard round-wound strings on it, but of course they're fairly noisy. I also like to use a felt ukele pick sometimes, and the rounds chew up them quickly. But ... I didn't want to lose the brightness rounds offer by switching to flat-wounds, so the guy at our local music store suggested these half-rounds by D'Addario:

https://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/ENR72-Half-Rounds-Medium-Bass-Strings/104576000000000-00-500x500.jpg

What type of bass strings do you use / prefer, and why?

Re: Bass Guitar Strings?

I have 2 sets in my drawer for when they're required. Ashton designed in Australia and a set called Johnny Brooke, who or where they are made is a mystery. I think I have rotosounds on at the moment.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Rotosound round wounds. 
I want a string that produces a bright full range of overtones.  You can always remove the overtones using playing technique or your amp.  But if the string doesn't produce them, you'll never have them.  And yes, they chew up felt picks and frets.     

Tenement Funster wrote:

For the bass players among us, I'm wondering what you like for strings?

My Thunderbird came with standard round-wound strings on it, but of course they're fairly noisy. I also like to use a felt ukele pick sometimes, and the rounds chew up them quickly. But ... I didn't want to lose the brightness rounds offer by switching to flat-wounds, so the guy at our local music store suggested these half-rounds by D'Addario:

https://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/ENR72-Half-Rounds-Medium-Bass-Strings/104576000000000-00-500x500.jpg

What type of bass strings do you use / prefer, and why?

I use those, but a little lighter in gauge. I'll also use GHS half rounds.

On my fretless, I have flatwounds like God intended.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

New on bass.  What is the difference between flat or half wound strings. Thanks for input if anyone answers.     

"It's better to be looked over, then overlooked" May West

RoundWound vs. Half-Round vs. Flatwound Guitar Strings

The profile of the wrap wire affects the tone and feel of your guitar strings.

Roundwound guitar strings have a round external wire wrapped around a wire core. They offer the brightest sound, making them ideal for rock, country and some blues music (especially among lead guitarists). Their ribbed texture gives the strings more grip but also makes more “string noise”, which is noise created by moving one’s fingers against the strings.
    Half-round guitar strings, or half-wound strings,have a warmer sound due to the strings being round-wound, then ground down for a smoother feel. This reduces string noise when changing chords while retaining some of the roundwound string’s sound qualities. Think of half-round strings as a halfway or compromise between roundwound and flatwound strings.
    Flatwound guitar strings offer the warmest, most vintage sound of these three profiles. The flat ribbon wire provides the smoothest polished surface, practically eliminating string noise and making it easier on the fingertips. This string is perfect for performing anything from blues to jazz while remaining suitable for modern rock. The downsides are that flatwound strings are harder to bend and come in more limited gauge offerings.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke