Re: Country/ Western Music.

I just read through the list. All great performers,but I would like to throw john denver in as well.

Hi edgefan,

It is on my list to do  Maybe  Next year!  My son spent some time there before the disaster! He sent me on some really nice stuff from his visit.

I have always loved the sound of that Music. I came across some recipes years ago, tried them, loved them,and still to this day cook up some of them. That food always go down well at parties!

Slán Jim,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Zydeco music is absolutely wonderful!  Where I grew up in Louisiana, some people lovingly called it 'Chanychank Music' because of the distinctive rhythm and sound.

What I like best about Zydeco is that it is infectious dance music.  Even people who are normally too uptight to dance will soon be hopping and bopping to Zydeco - you just can't resist the fun.

YouTube has some great Zydeco stuff . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James McCormick wrote:

Zydeco music is absolutely wonderful!  Where I grew up in Louisiana, some people lovingly called it 'Chanychank Music' because of the distinctive rhythm and sound.

What I like best about Zydeco is that it is infectious dance music.  Even people who are normally too uptight to dance will soon be hopping and bopping to Zydeco - you just can't resist the fun.

YouTube has some great Zydeco stuff . . .

You're right about that.  I'm one of those people normally too uptight to dance but some of the most fun I've ever had has taken place on a Saturday night at Rock n Bowl dancing to Rockin' Dopsie.  What part of Louisiana did you grow up in?

Hi Badeye,
Yes after all the rain we had, Nature has been kind to me as always. We have had a great burst of heat so the garden is like "The Coat of Many Colours" Beautiful to the eye!!
Thank you for the list Badeye.   Iris Dement is another great Artist. very seldom played here {Except in my house } Love the tone of her voice.

She sings a great song with John Prine "Inspite of ourselves" Always reminds me of my {Husband.}    Love the Lyrics..
Slán,
Old Doll.

Jcellini,
John Denvers "This Old guitar" is a tune i love to play on the guitar. He was great also, know more lyrics from his songs then Playing them.

Old Doll.

Hi Edgefan - I spent my formative teenage years in Hammond Louisiana.  At that time it was a small but growing little community.  Was there about a year ago and was astounded to see the changes.

Hammond has now sprawled out so much that Hammond, Ponchatoula, Natalbany, Tickfaw, Robert, and Pumpkin Center are all one big seamless blob.  Also, lots of new residents have moved there from New Orleans since Katrina.

Was glad to see that the Mariner's Inn is still open and still serving cold beer and great burgers.  In fact, the whole downtown area is really lively and thriving.  Hardly recognized large areas of the university campus.

Where are you in New Orleans?

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James McCormick wrote:

Hi Edgefan - I spent my formative teenage years in Hammond Louisiana.  At that time it was a small but growing little community.  Was there about a year ago and was astounded to see the changes.

Hammond has now sprawled out so much that Hammond, Ponchatoula, Natalbany, Tickfaw, Robert, and Pumpkin Center are all one big seamless blob.  Also, lots of new residents have moved there from New Orleans since Katrina.

Was glad to see that the Mariner's Inn is still open and still serving cold beer and great burgers.  In fact, the whole downtown area is really lively and thriving.  Hardly recognized large areas of the university campus.

Where are you in New Orleans?

James,
Hammond has gotten really big.  SELU has exploded over the past few years.  It's a good alternative for kids who want to get away for college but can't get into LSU or don't want to go to Baton Rouge.  I grew up and lived in Uptown New Orleans for most of my life and moved to the suburbs a few years ago.  I still work in the city though.
Jim

Its funny really that I (livin' about 15 minutes from Jasper, a small town in east texas), came to Port Arthur, which to me is a big city but it really aint THAT big, they call me a hick. Then I have friends from HOUSTON that want to say thier as 'country' as i am, then there's people from backwoods lousiana that say im kind of country but 'ive been to town' so to speak....
Just to get off on one of my soapboxes.....Country livin' is exactly that, country livin'. Its a lifestyle and a state of mind. Grant it most of us have an accent and a strange obsession with hank williams jr, but its more about HOW you live than talkin' big and wearing a certain brand of blue jeans.
( I do wonder sometimes how many people claiming to be "rednecks" have ever spent the day in the woods, or hulled a bushel of peas, or stole a watermelon, or tasted muscadines or berry cobbler or sasafras tea? Or would know which weeds to chew on and which ones to look out for, or which trees make good whittlin' and which ones don't.) But really more importantly than all that the country state of mind is understanding the simple life. Livin' slow, poker on saturday night church on sunday mornin' just kind of take life as it comes and try to have a good time.
Some of us are farmers, some of us are from the woods, some of us are just small town everyday people, maybe some of us are stuck in the city wishin' we could be home but just tryin' to make a livin' and live good the best way we know how....THAT's what country music is about, the common man, and that really aint got nuthin' to do with where you're from or how much money you make.

All You Need is Love smile

Hi last Rebel,
What are our muscadines? never heard of them. Berry cobbler love it!

I was born in the wrong place as i love Nature and every thing  to do with the Country.  I love accents, its part of what make people endear them selves to us! The stronger the better!

As i also love beaches and the sea, i now will have to look for a country Dwelling near the Coast line... Where i live we i can be at the Sea, in 20 minutes to walk the marina or sea wall.
No money needed for the best things in life. Its the greed for material possessions, in this throw away society thats the problem.

Loved your post written straight from the heart!

Slán  Diá Linn {God to you}

Old Doll.

muscadine's kind of like a huge grape, only its tangy and has a big seed in the middle. Good raw to me but they use to make homemade wine and preserves

All You Need is Love smile