Topic: Re-building fingertip callouses.

The fingertips are sore but it's a welcome feeling.  Since my back injury several years ago and the pain that came with it, playing guitar had become impossible. I had a spinal stimulator implanted a few months ago and for the past few days I've finally been able to pick up my guitar and try to play some of the songs I used to. I woke up early this morning and after charging my stimulator battery I decided to start learning Paint It Black, my fingers hurt and I have to take a break.  It feels good to play my guitar again. The GAS is strong this morning as I've been to the Duesenburg website, I can still dream while I pay off all the medical bills, maybe someday that Duesy will end up in my lap. 

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Re: Re-building fingertip callouses.

Welcome back to the guitar! I'm sure it feels like seeing an old friend.  I have found that lots of string bending helps build the callouses fast...even if it isn't part of your daily playing it might help. 

Thanks BGD, I haven't been able to play since for the past few years and I missed it. I''ll give string bending a try. 

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I bet it feels great to be playing again bluejeep! Keep it up, even if it is baby steps. Congrats! 

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good luck with rebuilding those callouses ... 

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Got a question for you folks who use "super glue" on your finger tips.

A couple of days ago we had occasion to go into the pharmacy section of our super-market where I came across something called "Liquid Bandage" and it made me think of y'all.

The question I have is: Is "super-glue" the product of choice for ones' fingertips or is there even a difference?

Thanks

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bluejeep - I'm happy for you getting back to something that brings you joy. Keep up the good work. Good luck with that GAS.

Bill - There is a difference in the chemical makeup between super glue and liquid bandage. There is a component of super glue which is toxic. Now of course as Aristotle said and is still true, the poison is in the dose. So though super glue has a toxic compound, the dose is so small that it's unlikely to have a negative impact. Nevertheless, that compound is replaced with something not toxic in liquid bandage. I'd recommend liquid bandage in lieu of super glue, but have used super glue many, many times on my own fingers as I most often cut my hands when doing some manual labor, and I don't keep liquid bandage in my tool kit. Probably I should put some in my first aid kit. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thank you, Sir! I'm on my way to our local builder's supply store for some shelf brackets and will pick up a tube of super glue. After I posted the above, I remembered that the ER doctor I used to work with recommended the use of super glue to help "knit" together small cuts, so what you wrote about dosage makes perfect sense.

I appreciate it, Z! smile

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I do not use anything.  James Taylor calls his finger biontic.  What he does is grows his nail out but also uses a fiberglass mesh and after applying it he puts many coats of nail hardener on each nail. When he is on tour he carries a kit that has both in it for any breakage. He said he has used that same technique for many years. The mesh he uses I believe he said once it was a medical grade mesh. It works for him so it also might work for some others too. 

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Hmmmm. I smell an endorsement deal on the horizon. smile

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

MKM had some great advice here about artificial nails a couple years ago, and was comparing the two types that estheticians use (Acrylics and Gels). If memory serves, I believe she recommended the Gel Nails, but can't recall why. Perhaps she'll join the discussion and set me straight. smile