1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-20 14:50:17)

Topic: Paging LOREMASTER PEATLE!

Thou art being missed, O Knowledgable One!

Please sticketh thy head into forum to reassure us you are still earth-bound.

We thanketh thee!

Sir Opie     smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Paging LOREMASTER PEATLE!

Greetings Sir Opie
I have been diverted by other things family, 98 year old mother and so on. I have been doing a bit of  mentoring .aswell.  I do read Chordie about once a week  I havent been able to think of anything original or new to say to my fellow Chordians recently. Sir Easybeat and I meet up at our local pub about once a week he keeps me updated.  I thanketh thee for thinking of me, love to you and Dondra. I will attach a bit of Kiwi Blues by Steve Apirana a great kiwi guitarist and bluesman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmM_-05 … mp;index=3     

Thanks for the response, dear friend. Your greetings have been passed on to  the Lady Dondra and I also listened to Steve Apirana from the link you sent me and you're right: The dude can play! smile Take care of Mom and yourselves and post when you can. I don't like to go too long without hearing/reading something from my friends, and you are one of the best.

Love to you and Maree

Bill and Dondra     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

4 (edited by Jandle 2018-09-21 11:22:26)

Great Peatle, love his music.  I have a  tape (ahuh tape) and a CD of his which I listen too.  Love a few of his songs smile     PS ........ the powerpoint has lots of photos of Gisborne on it ( I recognise it because we holiday there every year smile ) , wonder if he is from Gisborne area?

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-22 10:30:45)

Hi Jandle .Steve Apirana was born in 1952, in the town of Rotorua, where he lived with his three brothers, his three sisters, his Mum and his Dad, in a three bedroom house.    His start in the music business was with a band called Butler. Back in the 70's, he and his mates were what is today called Street Kids. They left home to find adventure and found themselves in Christchurch where they knew no one. They found places to sleep in cars and under bridges till they got themselves established and made a bit of money getting jobs here and there, getting into trouble and out of it. They began to frequent the large Anglican Cathedral in Latimar square on a Sunday night because if you stayed through the service you got to eat toasted sandwhiches and coffee for free afterwards, and the preacher let you go out for a smoke half way through the sermon. The young minister's son was interested in these young boys aptitude for music and arranged for them to use the churches band equipment to start a band and use the church hall to practise .Very soon they were writing their own songs and Minister son  seeing their potential became their manager and Butler was born. They toured for the next three years across New Zealand playing with such bands as Daddy Cool, Black Sabbath, Split Ends and Dragon. They became one of New Zealands most sort after bands. After a few years the boys went their separate ways.  In 1992 he moved from Christchurch with a family of his own and settled on the Sunshine Coast in the small country town of Cooran. It took six months before Steve would have time to unpack his bags as he was off again playing gigs. The decision to move to Australia came when he was invited to tour with Don Francisco around Australia. He was worried the Aussi's wouldn't like him but they loved him, in fact their response was overwhelming. And from this tour came a never ending stream of invitations to play across Australia and eventually across the world. In 1994 he was asked to sing on a recording being done by Maranatha Music in Los Angeles and in 1998 He was offered a management deal in the States, but turned it down - for personal reasons (a move to USA didn't seem like something that he wanted for his family). He felt it was better to stay in Australia, keep the family settled and travel to the States from time to time when he was invited. Over the last 20 years he has played at festivals around the world - Greenbelt in England, Flavo in Holland, Australian Gospel Music festival in Toowoomba and Parachute in New Zealand. He has played in schools across Europe, Prisons across New Zealand and churches all over the world. Steve and his wife at this time is on a 4 month tour of the UK and Europe playing various gigs. They have a grown family and grandchildren. I will attach for my American friends, Steve with a friend singing an American folk song  about a past President, William McKinley who was the 25th President of the United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjRVb-BOSq4

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-23 00:41:16)

What a delightful tune, Pete.

You know, there's a wealth of material on President William McKinley on Wikipedia, and not many people know (or don't talk about) the fact he was a two term-president when he was shot by Leon Czolgosz, a Polish-American anarchist. (When he was little, our late son used to get that word jumbled up and call it "ANTICHRIST" smile ). Folks just always say McKinley was "shot by a disappointed office-seeker".

But back to Steve: I plan to order his last album "This Wretched Man" so went to his website only to see this was his last work. I was heartened to see he is touring again, because it bothered me a bit when I read that he and Ashley would do what they called "Home Concerts" (I think that was the term he used). Was he ill and just couldn't handle the travel?

Pete, you may have seen in my posts that I am always looking for the "next" thing in music. The "next" thing here becomes a "missed" thing for me, because I had never heard of Steve and this man plays  and sings witha very "clean" gospel blues guitar. You can  hear it from the outset of the song you sent us called,  "That Same Old Road". Anyway, thanks for leading me to this man's sound, my brother, I plan to enjoy his gospel blues and share it with some friends of mine as soon as I order Wrteched Man.

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-22 23:27:28)

Cheers Bill he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up in hospital with two broken legs and smashed feet. It took him the most part of  three years to recover.
As far as I know he has only put out three albums. The late Joe Cocker wanted Steve and his band to tour with him years ago, but they turned him down as they had all given up alcohol and smoking weed and thought touring with Joe would expose them to those things again. Steve and Ainsley mission is to take their songs and their  stories into places where they would not normally be heard, and spread a little hope, encouragement, faith and joy as they go.  The big time now doesnt really attract them. I think they manage themselves and keep things simple. They do their own blog and you can contact them on   www.apiranamusic.com they would love to hear from you.     It might take a little while for them to get back to you as they have just  started a four  month tour of the UK and Europe. You might be able get your church to invite them to do a concert.
Your Friend Pete .

Peatle and Bill

Great find. Excellent music.
McKinley story is a sad one ... the injury from the gunshot was so unfortunate as it not only went through stomach - it hit liver , pancreas and actually was never located.
McKinley also had a heart problem and was way overweight.  It was the gangreneous infection and other complications that eventually killed him. Thomas Edison the great inventor had sent an x ray machine - but some how a part was missing and it was useless.

I encourage everyone to listen to the song by Steve and Ainsley -  posted on their site  www.apiranamusic.com that Peatle provided - called       All The Lights -        It is excellent - but I gotta say _ JAN YOU SOUND JUST LIKE HER --  that's why I keep telling you you need to get in a studio! smile

Thanks to Bill and Peatle for this great thread
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Cheers Tig and I agree with you JAN HAS A BEAUTIFUL VOICE.     

Agreed. Jan has a lovely voice and I've been wanting to hear more of her talent ever since she first favored us with her presence on here on Chordie!

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass