Topic: guilty or not guilty?

a few years back on a new years eve gig the punters got a little over excited and came too close to my space! at my feet are my pedals with the jack plugs sticking out the front! so of course they stood on my jacks and bent them and while trying to straighten them a couple broke...
so now, when i change strings i allow about an inch and a half, (40mm) to stick out so that if the punters come too close they get scratched and i say "oops, sorry about that," but they keep out of my space so it works.

do any of our other performers have naughty but nice ways of keeping their equipment whole? 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-15 01:54:50)

Re: guilty or not guilty?

It's not supposed to happen to the drummer, but once it did and a drunk staggered into my kit, knocking over cymbals, toms and stands. This was back in the late 60's early 70's so I wasn't "enclosed" in a "cage" made up of sturdy aluminum, but the "strings" were usually able to "protect" me - usually

That one night, the bass and rhythm guitars were playing a new tune with a tricky sequence which called for  some accents and their concentration was on the music,. As this passage involved me as well,  I didn 't see this  well-meaning guy bringing me a beer until he landed in my lap.

CRASH!, BOOM and more CRASHES along with a TWANNNNGGGGG or two went the instruments. EXPLETIVES DELETED went Bill and the well-meaning drunk and BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTT went the electronics and then all went quiet.

"Better get him to the nearest hospital", I said. "Looks like he cut himself."

My cymbals won't cut you normally, but if you add friction to the edge of one, it could open a gash, and that's what happened to this guy. He wound up needing 20 stitches.

As far as I know, this never happened to  "the strings", but from that time on, we talked to the bar owner and  had him make sure he included us on his insurance. THAT night's accident wasn't bad enough to require repair or replacement of any of my equipment, but I suspect we were covered anyway. He may have had to file claims before and didn't want to see his premiums increase by telling us we were playing at our own risk.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

A guitar with it's own barbed wired .... that's ingenious, Phill. I've never been in that situation (mostly coffee house gigs in the distant past) but that lack of respect is annoying (and expensive). Glad you found a solution, and IMHO you have every right to protect your gear from buffoons.

Bill ... that's quite an adventure! It's a shame that clod got cut, but I'm glad you and your gear made out in one piece.     

4 (edited by DeanRah 2020-02-04 08:56:33)

More power to you, Phill. You have every right to do something like that. It's cool that people are into it and want to get closer and all, but if the equipment is in danger, screw that.

What's a punter? I'm not familiar with that term. Was your party full of football place kickers?     

That is the trouble with using local lingo.

A 'punter' is a customer, a spectator or a gambler, so in this case the audience.

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

That is the trouble with using local lingo.

A 'punter' is a customer, a spectator or a gambler, so in this case the audience.

Roger.

Thank you. I love learning regionalisms.

We would call those "the drunks."     

Punters....yeah sorry about that. BGD mentioned drunks reminded me of a time many moons ago when a couple of beautiful ladies came a little too close, I didn't mind that until one stepped on the foot of the mic stand and cracked one of my front teeth when the mic shot forward...ah well.

Welcome to chordie Dean. Thanks for the support. How about telling us a bit about yourself? Introduction in a new post please.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.