1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-24 20:47:55)

Topic: Off-Topic, But I'm Being Asked For Drum Lessons - Again

My great-nephew (7 and quite the "Einstein') was hovering around the church drum kit yesterday and his Dad let on that his son wanted to learn to play and would I take him on?

Well, first of all it's been years since I've played, I'm 68 and every time I mention setting up my kit, I get the "look" from the fair Miss Dondra. When we lived in the bigger house, it wasn't a problem because I had my own music room and everything was set up: guitars, drums, amps, keyboard and a mic stand.

Here in the apartment it's a different story and even though she's not totally against it, I would be required to take them down after every practice. I am not averse to doing that, but this is an apartment and we have folks living all around us. (Yes, I DO have mutes on everything including the hi-hat, so the noise wouldn't be a problem - just the fact that I have a set of drums and am playing them would  be however).

So here is what I have decided and I'd like you all to make suggestions or agree/disagree:

1. I have given him a set of my sticks and a rubber Ludwig practice pad.

2. Showed him his first rudiment: The "Paradiddle".

3. Told him there'd be more rudiments to come and we would build up to playing on the kit. This way I can see how serious the little bugger is/will be, and if he's actually practicing.

4. Once we get him to a point where I can introduce him to the kit, we will use the kit at the church before the band begins its rehearsal on Wednesdays. And yes, this is also the band I'd like to be a part of at some point playing guitar and singing - just haven't gotten that far yet.

Last but not least, I cannot and will not leave Dondra unattended. That will have to be sorted out as well.

So what do y'all think? Is this do-able?

Thanks as always

Your Friend

Bill

EDITED TO ADD: The word "again" because I've been asked before, but it was during the time and turmoil of my beginning dementia and I wasn't able to follow through - although my student was.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Off-Topic, But I'm Being Asked For Drum Lessons - Again

I think it is very do - able and a good thing to do with the young one..
Your friend Pete     

Good Luck Bill     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Peatle Jville wrote:

I think it is very do - able and a good thing to do with the young one..

+1     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic