Topic: without you

Sometimes you suddenly realize how much you have to be grateful for. Today was one of those days for me.
This is for Ann.

Without you.  Phill Williams.

I am not lonely.
I'm not afraid of being alone.
I drive for hours.
But I know I'm driving home.
You are waiting.
As you have always been.
One thing that scares me.
Is if you're no longer there.

Sometimes I forget things.
Or I may treat you bad.
But know that I love you.
The best love I've ever had.
I hear you breathing.
It relaxes my soul.
Just knowing you are there.
As we both grow old.

As we grow older.
Is what I should say.
We've had a great life.
And still today.
If I go before you.
I hope I do.
I couldn't stand living.
Without you. 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: without you

Atta boy, Phill ... from one happily married man to another. Nothing like a healthy dose if gratitude to cure the blues.     

when Ann read it she got a little teary-eyed, have to say so did i. sometimes it's nice to get your deepest feelings out     

Phill
That is awesome. Love the raw emotion pouring out.
You are a braver lad than I, I almost never show my wife the songs I write about her.

Great job my friend

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

That's very nice ... you should be proud ....     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Wow reading this felt like you had written about me and Maree and how I feel about her. You and Ann have a very special love. After thirty seven of marriage to Maree I find even though we can be as differant as chalk and cheese we wouldn't swap each other.  One thing that  hasn't grown in Maree to love about me is my attempts at music, though every now and then she will indulge me.     

Jim. I very rarely show Ann my songs. She just happened to walk into my "studio" as I was putting my writing pad away, she said "what are you hiding?" So I had to show her. I don't like people knowing I'm a sloppy person!     

Thanks Neo, I try...Ann says very trying....     

Hello there Pete. Ann and I have also been married for 37 years. And I don't play her most of my songs cos she doesn't like or understand my stuff. She is supportive with my on stage set... mostly?
You can tell Maree that you wrote it for her if you like?     

10 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-10-16 09:23:46)

Cheers Phill  she would soon know it wasn't me. Maree just asked me before  what I was looking at on my laptop so I read her your poem. Her reaction is what a lucky lady your Ann is  to have her man write something as beautiful as that.

11 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-10-16 09:40:55)

Phill there are not too many  poems that make my my eyes water too much. This poem is one of them. It  is so perfect in so many ways. It also makes all of us with what we believe is the perfect marriage  to stop and think.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Awwww well written, from the heart, no wonder Anne was teary eyed ....... well done you smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

It is so nice to read a love poem of a happily married couple especially after all the Heartbreak and sorrow I have been posting.  You guys got it right. Congratulations and many more.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Peatle, I keep telling her how lucky she is and she just says in what universe     

CG. Do any of us know what a perfect marriage is? I think life is what you make it. It also dumps on you from a great hight! We argue over the silliest things....but making up is fun....     

Jan, Ann appears to have a hard exterior at times, but inside she's soft and cuddly.     

Beamer. I've been following your struggles and understand what you're going through, which is why this came to me and I posted it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel....an old platitude I know, I just hope things work out for you. Thanks for the great comments.     

I am not lonely.                                                           I am not lonely,
I'm not afraid of being alone.                                   Not afraid of being alone.
I drive for hours.                                                         I've driven for hours,
But I know I'm driving home.                                   Still miles from home.
You are waiting.                                                         You're still waiting,
As you have always been.                                         As you've always been.
One thing that scares me.                                         But what scares me most,
Is if you're no longer there.                                        Is if you're not there.

Sometimes I forget things.                                        Sometimes I forget things,
Or I may treat you bad.                                               And may treat you bad,
But know that I love you.                                           But you know that I love you,
The best love I've ever had.                                      You're the best that I've had!
I hear you breathing.                                                  When I hear your breathing,
It relaxes my soul.                                                      It relaxes my soul,
Just knowing you are there.                                     Just knowing you're there
As we both grow old.                                                 As we both grow old.

As we grow older.                                                      As we grow older,
Is what I should say.                                                  Is what I should say.
We've had a great life.                                               We've had a great life,
And still today.                                                            And still do today!
If I go before you.                                                       But if I go before you,
I hope I do.                                                                  (and I hope that I do)
I couldn't stand living.                                               I couldn't stand the day,
Without you.                                                               Being without you. 

I think this is fantastic poem. I just happened upon this site and was nosing around, and I guess I joined quite a while ago.  I'm a 56 year old single guy that has 5 older married neighbors (They are in their late 70's and early 80's).  The guys are here 6 days a week for morning coffee in my garage.  One lost his wife this Summer.  This poem would fit them so well.  It's scary to get old and scary to wonder if I'll lose a friend.  I get asked to drive quite often now, (I have MS but I get around good.) Theres a lot of repeated stories, but we just give each other a wink.  I think I'll show them this at coffee, but I'm afraid it will make them sad. Oh, about your poem, sometimes I write things and set them down for a day, then go back and change something.  I like words to flow and sentences to be flexible, almost like a song I could play on guitar.  But if I overstepped, please forgive me, and just call me a smart ass kid that should mind his own business, I've heard it before, and I'm sure I'll hear it again!     

Laurin800  interesting reading about you on here and I am with you Phill's poem is a fantastic piece of writing.     

Laurin800 nice to see you comment on here.  Great to hear your story and your version smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan