301 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-09-28 14:03:04)

Re: Tuesday's Flying Fingers

You might have noticed he uses a white thumb pic k. The way he plays it sounds good, but it is not the way I play it on classical guitar, or the same way Mason Williams played it. The correct way to play Classical Guitar takes exactly  3 minutes and 9 seconds.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

302 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-29 00:50:23)

What I am seeing is between the 11th and 12th fret, guys. It's a strip of some kind, maybe? Jim's got it, I think: just a fret marker. There are some other markings near the sound hole; a cross and some other marks, but I was mainly interested in the wide "strip" between the frets.

Thanks, my friends!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Classical Guitar! Where you been ........ Haydn????

(I've been holding on to that one for a loooong time!:)  ).

I happen to have your version of "Classical Gas", and although I've never timed it, I sure do love listening to it!

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Metallica    "One"    (arranged & performed by Mike Dawes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGc5in2F_Rg

Here's another solid arrangement of a heavy metal song for acoustic guitar. I'm always amazed at the length of Dawes' fingers ... he could palm a Volkswagen like an NBA forward does a basketball.     

305 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-10-05 21:07:54)

When that abrupt ending happened, my imagination provided one second's silence before the crowd's exuberance at what they'd just experienced "brought down the house". In my addled mind, Mr. Dawes received a standing ovation that lasted a good five minutes and he was brought back for that many encores. I know it's an overused adjective, but in this instance, I don 't believe any of my friends would argue my use of it because that word fits that artist's performance and to hell with the synonyms.

I agree with you about the  fingers as well. As I have stated before, a guitarist with fingers such as those would have no trouble navigating his way around a drum kit. It's as if each of those digits has a brain  of its own.

Awesome choice TF wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Again, thanks for your comments, Bill ... Dawes is a unique talent, for sure. I watched one of his "rig rundown" videos once, and how he explained his whole set up. He's a very intelligent and articulate guy, and those "smarts" come out strong in his performance.     

TF
That was awesome - I too am amazed at the fingers of his hands
I really liked the way he using guitar tapping to enhance the song.

His focus on the playing is fantastic -

When he changes and frets with his left hand ( kinda upside down -  is that because what he is playing is not able to be accomplished by normal fretting or is it more for show ?  Since I don't have a clue a bout guitar playing - I'd kinda like to know the answer to that as I've seen it done by a few performers.
Thanks for sharing

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Eva Atmatzidou    Birdmind    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPndNIPs_g

While this may not be the most technically difficult piece Eva plays, the odd notes / timing give it and open, airy feel which is very enjoyable.     

Led Zeppelin    "Ramble On"    (arranged & performed by Kelly Valleau)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8cm1nbB1s

One of my favorite acoustic Zep pieces to play, with a different take on it in a more mellow setting ... enjoy.     

310 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-10-16 18:18:33)

Kelly Valleau is a clean player and with the exception of amplification  you would not hear a sound  from him. I listened to some other listings by him and he had that turned down more and you could not hear anything but very clean music. Good  choice with himo n Flying Fingers and you can tell how nicely he treats his guitar.

On Eva's piece, you say it isn't technical, TF, but when she started that "on the neck picking" she had me (in my own bird-brain) yelling, "Wait! Wait! What's that you're doing????? I can barely play a B and/or B7 and you're doing all that fancy dancing on the neck! What's that called, anwyay???"

That's what I would say, if I had been one of those folks throwing those things into her case.

As far as the music itself, I found it to be a very light and pleasant work to hear and it wouldn't be out of place in a movie soundtrack.

I'm a little behind on my comments, sorry. I'll catch up with Led Zep.

Thanks

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

On "Ramble On"; Isn't it strange how much one misses on the original when one listens to just the instrumental versions? I was never much of a Page fan except for "Stairway" and it was always the group as a whole that turned me on on tunes like "Whole Lotta Love", but here with Kelly Valleau's cover, I can hear the nuances I missed the first time around.  A great choice, my friend and I look forward to more of this which actually makes me "pay attention" to what I am hearing.

Thanks!

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Thanks, Bill ... glad you enjoyed them.

Trying to play and sing "Ramble On" is bit challenging for me, although I really enjoy the song. First off, the guitar part itself is fairly easy. But I'm a bass voice and Robert Plant isn't, and I also try to keep the feet doing the pitter-patter as on the studio album ... really adds to the "rambling" feel of the song, like a bunch of hobbits running from something (the song's theme). I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so it's difficult. big_smile

I tried playing it at an open mike coffee house decades ago, and it honestly wasn't very good. The only compliment I got was, "Thanks for trying." lol     

Gentle Giant    "For Nobody / Mountain Time"    London, 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJV6g29SiKg

More talented madness from the GG guys, as seen on a BBC "Sight & Sound" TV special in the late-70's. Drummer John Weathers and bassist Ray Schulman have the ability to keep everything on track, no matter what the rest are doing. They seamlessly cope with odd time signatures, stops-and-starts, etc., and give the rest of the group the foundation to showcase their considerable talents. Derek's voice is a bit strained at the end of this concert, but the performance is energetic, precise, complex, and just plain fun.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/1/0811/04/sealed-uk-prog-gentle-giant-lp_1_79cdfa6ec5a1424da4b7b701791bafbe.jpg     

Wow! Just......... WOW!. I would've been hard-pressed as a drummer to keep up with Ray's bass. Those guys were/are? terrific! DId they not ever get down this way, TF?

Thanks!

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Thanks, Bill ... I just realized that I posted this entry in "Flying Fingers" and not "Prog Wednesdays" where it's supposed to be ... oooops!

In the cover notes of their second album (Acquiring the Taste) the band's brave aim was to "... expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music, at the risk of becoming very unpopular." On one of their albums (Free Hand) the liner notes name 47 different instruments played by the quintet, and most of them with remarkable skill. They spanned a 10-year career (1970 - 1980) and although they had a cult following, their oddities alienated them from most of main-stream music consumption.

During that decade, I asked friends if they'd heard of Gentle Giant, and I only recall one person saying they had! They did tour the US several times, but typically as lead in acts for bands like Sha Na Na, Jethro Tull, Yes, and even being oddly paired with Black Sabbath (whose fans booed GG off the stage!). I love their complexity, skill, and "odd-ness", which is (I guess) a part of being Chordie's Manic Musicologist. lol     

George Michael    "Careless Whisper"    (arr. by Alexandr Misko)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzgTMh21zhI

A terrific classic played beautifully by AM, with his signature mid-tune re-tuning which embellishes the music without being distracting.     

Dave Grisman Quartet    "E.M.D."    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x05z27blg80

(L > R) Rob Wasserman, Mark O'Connor, Dave Grisman, Tony Rice, playing their jazz / bluegrass style he called "Dawg Music".

The Beatles    "Yesterday"    (arranged & performed by Kelly Valleau)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEgAfSRDnr0

If I were to make a "relaxation mix" of guitar pieces, this one would be on it ... soft, beautiful, passionate, and well-played.     

320 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-11-06 18:16:54)

Great clean playing by KellyValleau. Nice choice to pick him.

Joscho Stephan Trio    "Minor Blues"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCW53fkgKtY

Some more brilliance from one of Germany's greatest, with a nod of jaw-dropping awe towards his bass player.     

TF I love the way he snuck those theme tunes in Pink Panther and so on. Nice bass solo.     

Oh man that was cool!  If i tried to make my fingers do that they would just fall off, I have a hard enough time using a fork at suppertime.  Superb guitar playing!     

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Simon & Garfunkel    "Sounds of Silence"     (arranged & played by Jamie Dupuis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlzk9989dzg

I'm fascinated by these Harp Guitars, and the mental acuity a person would need to play one. Having the bass scale available while playing certainly fills out a tune, and the small harp below provides even more options ... beautiful rendition of a beautiful song.     

Paco de Lucia & Al di Meola    "Mediterranean Sundance"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97H_HvBjPA

The great Di Meola, and the late / great De Lucia, noodling around as only they can do.