1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-11-10 21:07:35)

Topic: Spin Doctor

I wrote this as more of  a song than a poem  I put a rough version on youtube if anyone wants to have a look at me doing it or even have go at doing it as a song themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6wONN1tcU

Spin Doctor

You don’t know what the truth is.
You can’t tell It’s all manipulated.
It’s all made by  these Spin Doctors
Its all part of that scene.

Spin Doctor I just want the truth.
Spin Doctor I just Want the truth.
You got to find out from differant things.
Go on line read books and all sorts of  things.
You can’t just look at the the Newspaper.

Yeah the spin  Doctors are manipulating the news.
Trying to influence our point of view.
It doesn’t matter if your left or right.
Thier  all the same in this fight.
Spin Doctors are  part of the political scene.

Spin Doctor I just Want the truth.
You got to find out from differant things.
Go on line read books and all sorts of  things.
You can’t just look at the the Newspaper.

Leave me alone.
Youve taken my brain
And given  me pain.
All I want to do is watch TV

Re: Spin Doctor

Peatle, I love and share your healthy cynicism about the "truthfulness" of what we hear on the airwaves. Generally speaking, I've come to believe that if the presenter has something to gain from his/her version of things, it's almost sure to be twisted out of shape. I often ask myself, "Who are they trying convince? Me? Or themselves?"

Terrific poem / song ... doesn't matter ... the message is bang on (as we say here in Nova Scotia).     

P
I`m with you on this one,the answer is don`t believe anything in the media.
Go do some of your own research,listen to many opinions,make up your own mind.
In NZ there are a lot of sheep,not all of them are on the farm.     

The King Of Audio Torture

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-11-11 00:32:38)

Cheers TF and Eb for your comments I think  schools should teach kids a healthy cynicism and a need to  not believe all they hear.
Exaggeration in the mass media seems to be common. False or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.seems to me to be prevelant and not only spread by the media but also political parties worldwide. Political marketing is now a fundamental part of political life. Presidents and Prime Ministers; politicians and parties; government departments and councils all use marketing in their pursuit of political goals. As it takes experience and training to "spin" an issue, spinning is typically a service provided by paid media advisors and media consultants.  Many of the largest and most powerful companies have in-house employees and sophisticated units with expertise in spinning issues.  Spin approaches used by many political teams include "burying" potentially negative new information by releasing it at the end of the workday on the last day before a long weekend; selectively cherry picking quotes from previous speeches made by an opposing politician to give the impression that they advocate a certain position; and purposely leaking misinformation about an opposing politician or candidate that casts them in a negative light.

Your video was great!!

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Thank you  Richard .for your kind comment and taking time to have a listen and watch of my video.
Cheers
Pete     

So entertaining Peatle. Creatively edited and all the pop ups and news channel logos were great.
Now to your song/poem; as we've come to expect from you, ascerbic, pithy and no holds barred. As the song says; believe half of what you see and certainly none of what you hear.
Now here's my question; should we be grateful we don't live in North Korea?
Fine work as usual loremaster.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Cheers and thank you Phill, I am glad my video entertained.  My answer to your North Korea question is I am grateful I don’t live in North Korea, Kim Jong-un  and his family have made that place a living hell. Fortunately countries like yours and mine have freedom of speech.  When I think about that Saudi Arabian,  Jamal Khashoggi who was killed inside his countries consulate in Istanbul it makes me realise just to be a journalist  in some parts of the world is a dangerous occupation.  Many times  I think  about the many other countries where  expressing your opinions can cause death or punishment for you and your family members. Even though the United Nations has a  Universal Declaration of Human Rights it means nothing in many countries around the world.     

All men are created equal only some are more equal than others! Here I go quoting other more enlightened people again!
Our forefathers faught and died for the rights and liberties we now enjoy. Was it an enemy, an invading force they faught? No, the rich and powerful! They held us down for hundreds of years and when we faught back they sent in the troops, mowed down by our own brothers. We forced our way out but there are those who would put us back in our box if they can get away with it.

To my mind politicians should have no wealth and no other source of income but their salary for guiding their country.

Woops, I'd better stop there as I might get into trouble for bringing the corruption of politics and politicians onto the pages of this PC site.

10 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-11-14 00:58:57)

Cheers Phill I enjoy reading  your comments. I agree with you for the many an every day person who has forced their  way out from being part of the working poor, there are those who would  like to put us back in our box if they could get away with it.
Our forefathers who faught and died for the rights and liberties we now enjoy,I think would be amused by the wave of modern political correctness,
I worked in print for 45 years on and of.  At the end of my career I noticed that political correctness crusaders were banning all sorts of words from the many University publication we use to print. I also noticed the government no longer mentioned job losses it became job restructuring. Academics were getting local  councils not to  use words like manhole covers and God forbid mentioning the poor they were now the economically marginalised. Oops I mentioned God. Yet entertainers, broadcasters and academics have become very comfortable using F*** bombs which to me lowers the standed of expression rather than raising it. I use to have an office lady who refused to call Maree my wife insisting on calling her my partner. The control of language to me  is a way of establishing a  totalitarian society.

It sure makes interesting reading when the two of you banter ... !! smile

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

12 (edited by easybeat 2018-11-14 04:12:57)

Yeah Canada seem to be going down this PC  road in a big way.
Fisher Folk  instead of fisherman
Snow folk   instead of Snowman
It`s starting to get that way in NZ,only a matter of time before
Father Christmas is a black lesbian woman!     

Naughty Boy Phill!! Whoops  naughty person Phill

The King Of Audio Torture

Good message in this Peatle, agree with finding out the truth and not just taking the media as the gospel truth.  I liked your presentation on You Tube by the way, you seem to have  the knack of making them  interesting. 

easybeat, I can imagine a song in your comments Fisher Folk instead of Fisherman     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

14 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-11-14 11:13:26)

Cheers Jandle I am pleased my video wasn't boring. Thank you for taking time  to watch it and also make a comment. With Christmas coming up easybeat might be able to write us a gender neutral Christmas  person song.  I am sure EB will use proper gender neutral words  so we can normalize the idea that anyone can perform a  job, requiring a license to deliver childrens Christmas presents  with Reindeer  regardless of their gender identity.

easybeat wrote:

Yeah Canada seem to be going down this PC  road in a big way.
Fisher Folk  instead of fisherman
Snow folk   instead of Snowman
It`s starting to get that way in NZ,only a matter of time before
Father Christmas is a black lesbian woman!     

Naughty Boy Phill!! Whoops  naughty person Phill

just in....they cant call them "mansize tissues any more they've got to be "extra large" OTT or what?     

PS, santa wouldn't be a black lesbian man now would he? still laughing...