Topic: THE THING WITH DREAMS

After a restless night of back-to-back dreams and nightmares, this came out this morning:

THE THING WITH DREAMS

It glimmered.
A twinkling eye-sparkle of an idea
Conceived at a random moment
Perceived in a random bypath
Born of inspiration?
Bearing investigation?
It glimmered, and was gone.

That's the thing with dreams … momentary
That's the thing with dreams … fragmentary
That's the thing with dreams … temporary
That's the thing with dreams … illusory

It shimmered.
A millions glints of light
On a breeze-swept lake
Continuous split seconds
Was it here?
Was it there?
It shimmered, nothing more.

It whimpered.
A purposeless aspiration
From a listless futile void
Drowned in agonized noise
Did it matter?
Will it matter?
It whimpered, and it won't.

Re: THE THING WITH DREAMS

So deep and poetic. Beautifully crafted. You should sleep more often....lol     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-12-03 02:21:54)

Nice, TF. Dreams are so complex, I never expected them to be so succinctly described, but every line in your poem makes sense. Is it any wonder there are so many songs about dreams and dreamers?

Mine are so vivid, I write them down and keep a folder describing them.

They can also make me angry.

My "flying dreams" for example: When there's a jet stream (in my dream), I can somehow "launch" myself into it and the next thing I know I'm flying/coasting like one would see an eagle do, and it feels great! Until I look down and see the people going about their daily lives, working in their gardens, etc. and unimpressed to the point of ignoring me flying overhead.

"Hey!", I yell at them. "I'm up here - flying! Are you up here flying? No you are not, so how about some applause peppered with some 'ooohs and aaaahs"? If I wanted to, I could play 'Malaguena' on my guitar while I'm up here! Can you do that??? No, you cannot do that! What's the matter with you people, anyway???? I'm gonna fly someplace else!!  A place where I will be appreciated for my efforts!!! Oh, now you're pretending you can't hear me, is that it? Buncha cretins!"

So, yeah. For me, my dreams are an outlet, and except for the people who don't appreciate me for being able to fly, are quite pleasant about 75% of the time and your poem, TF, puts it all in perspective for me.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

4 (edited by easybeat 2018-12-02 21:22:55)

TF
Great to see another poem from you,well done. 
I`d love to hear this recited with backround  music

The King Of Audio Torture

TF 

Terrific poem!

I had a dream one time that was so real it took me about two days to get it out of my head - I ( no laughing here please!)  actually thought I knew how to fly!
Dreams are so friggin mind messing !

good post my friend and SWEET DREAMS from now on!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TF that is poetry at the top level. Your bad nights sleep has helped  you craft an outstanding poem.     

Thanks everyone. The whole point being that (thankfully) the nightmares aren't real, and (sadly) the good dreams aren't either.