Topic: Ever Been Thrown Out Of A Band?

I know. It's a sore subject with many of us, isn't it, but whatever the reason (or how you word it), have you ever been asked to take your stuff and  "Hit The Road, Jack"?

For me, the answer is "yes", and without pulling any punches, I'd like to tell you about it.

Back in 1969, I was still in college, working full time as an "orderly" (male nursing assistant) at our hospital here in Carrollton  and supplementing my income (no Dondra yet, but soon) playing Friday and Saturday nights with The Watchmen. Sometimes our weekends were coveniently booked, sometimes not. Sometimes both nights were at the same club, but other times we'd play one night here in Carrollton, and the other night might be 50 miles away. You take what you can get, right, brothers and sisters?

One particular very dry spell saw us idle for about 2 and a half months. No gigs for The Watchmen, so I took what I could get and joined (temporarily) an all-black band called Dyke And The Blazers. Their drummer had been called up to serve in our National Guard and no one knew how long he'd be deployed.

A friend of  a friend got me an audition. It was to be a "live" try-out and in addition to what was on the song list, what would get me the gig was being able to play the drum solo from the James Brown tune, "Cold Sweat, Part !!" - could I play it, asked my friend? I could and got the job: a white drummer in an 8 person black soul music group. Interesting times. "Most peculiar, mama."

In the deep south state of Georgia, this was highly unusual and word got around fast. I did not officially "leave" The Watchmen and if things needed to be "worked out" (gig conflicts), they could have been, but that wasn't the problem. The problem, as you may have guessed, was Bill's decision to play drums in The Blazers.

One night, at a Watchmen gig, our lead singer asked me to let a friend of his sit in on my kit for a few tunes.
Sure. No problem.

But that was it for me. My replacement had been auditioned and given the job using my set. After that night, even though my manager and I talked several times when I checked in regarding jobs, I never played for them again.

If I had been asked not to sit in/ play for the new band, I would have still gone ahead, but no one bothered to even let me know of the displeasure. I was simply there one night and not there anymore after that. Also, in 1970, I lost my college student deferment, joined the US Air Force, married Dondra (for the first time) and became a father, so "DENSITY" took care of that little problem. smile

Even Pete Best got told the other "boys want you out of the band". I was left to draw my own conclusions. Still, I'd been with The Watchmen since '65, and I wouldn't have traded those years for anything.

How about you, brothers and sisters? Care to share? Got questions?

Your Friend

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-12-02 15:47:23)

Re: Ever Been Thrown Out Of A Band?

Thanks for your "slice of life" story, Bill ... great reading.

The only real "band" I ever played in was also with me being the only white guy with a group of 5 African-Canadians who were some of my best buddies. Their guitarist had broken his wrist playing basketball, so I was asked to sub for him for several High School dances in the area. Introduced as "the honky on guitar", it was a fun 3 months. But Roger's wrist healed, and I was eventually out of a "job". It was fun, they were appreciative, and whenever we see each other these many years later we smile, laugh, and recall those great times. The ridiculous name of the group was "Soul and the Bad Ones" ... what were we thinking? lol

I was in a band called Sylvester. In the beginning it was great playing rock music with some pop songs and standards included. After some time it all got a little harder for me and the other guys I expect, I was something of a premadonna! I was on the verge of jumping ship when they turned up for a gig. I had my gear by the door, had my bath and asked if we were ready for the gig. They said yes we're going but you're not. No written warning....nothing! Ah well     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Crazy story Bill!     

I would love to be in a band - even if I got thrown out in a week. 

Just to say you played in one has so much prestige !

This post reminds me of Frank Zappa and Joe's Garage - fabulous music.
akes it's own sauce...)

It wasn't very large

There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the Dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said "Fender Champ"
And a second hand guitar
It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar !

Hahahahaha
Great post Bill and really interesting stories so far - hope there are more!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Never been thrown out of a band, although I have walked away from a couple.  I have been thrown out of a bar before if that counts. And I also remember being thrown out of a strip joint in Daytona Beach once.  smile     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-12-05 19:12:58)

I threw myself out of a band once and this isn't something I'm proud of.

One night about 7pm I got a call asking if I could sit in with some guys who were playing a gig at the local AmVets (veterans organization) club. They'd be playing mostly country and mainstream rock 'n roll (Creedence and the like).  Their drummer was in jail (having just been arrested) and all I had to do was show up and play - I could use his kit.

When I arrived, here's what I found: two 15 watt amps with 2 inputs, one for the lead/rhythm guitar and one for the bass. The other amp was used for the PA.

The drums consisted of a bass drum, a snare drum, one tom-tom and one cymbal.

I just assumed that the bass drum was anchored. It wasn't, so I had to chase the thing all over the dance floor (no stage).

At the first opportunity, I told the guys it wasn't working out and left.

Guess I should have stayed, but in retrospect, I don't think I could have done much to help and they were only playing for the gate, so they probably only made 15 dollars total.

Could have been worse, though. I might have had to play "Wipe-Out" on that kit.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-12-05 21:03:47)

Dirty Ed wrote:

Never been thrown out of a band, although I have walked away from a couple.  I have been thrown out of a bar before if that counts. And I also remember being thrown out of a strip joint in Daytona Beach once.  smile

lol lol lol Laughed out loud when I read your post, DE ... thanks for keeping it "family friendly". wink

I haven't been kicked out, but I did have a band change the practice venue and time and 'forget' to tell me. I guess I only thought I was in that band, despite playing gigs with them and helping with set up and sound all those times.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The story about chasing a bad drum around a dance floor is very funny.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Dirty Ed wrote:

Ahhhhh - bike week - the memories - the hang-overs and the looooong ride back to Pa.  Those were the days!     

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

12 (edited by Russell_Harding 2018-12-06 05:45:04)

Yes on one occasion, In Las Vegas I agreed to play with a guy and his wife for a gig upstate in some small town. His wife played a Hammond organ with bass pedals and he played drums,  halfway into the gig he got ticked off at what I was saying on the mike in between songs ( it was clean) he just didn't like me and told me to take my gear and leave but I told him since I was a member of the Musicians Union he had to pay me for the gig he said no and I called the musicians union and they sent a representative while I waited. begrudgingly he forked out my money and I had no transportation home so I had to carry my amp and guitar to the highway and hitch a ride back to Las Vegas that was the only time I recall being told to leave but I did leave several bands for various reasons.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Bill you made that sound so interesting .......... your a story teller for sure smile 
I can`t say I have ever had the honor of playing in a band since I only started singing and playing uke and guitar a few years ago .......... ahhh how I wish I had started younger and been in a band............ who knows how many I would have been kicked out of yikes     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan