so called leaders
using force
head in sand
to this discourse
city burning
flames in the night 

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: City Burning

Deep stuff, EB, and you've capably summed up the declining condition of global democracies. Your poem reminds me of a quote:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.  - Alexander Tytler, 1747 - 1813     

TF

I have used that quote often in my HS classes on government.

Good stuff to think about.

EB

Poem is thought provoking for sure - good stuff as well !
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

easybeat ... thought provoking     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

That is a very good poem EB . I think as more and more people around the world find life hard we will see more people rioting as they have in Paris..They are people who have found that the cost of living has got out of hand for them to survive..
While some new jobs are being created in the world economies, many are now in the low-paying sectors and are usually temporary. Corporate leaders and mainstream economists tell us that the rising unemployment figures represent short-term "adjustments" to powerful market-driven forces that are speeding the global economy in a new direction. They hold out the promise of an exciting new world of high-tech automated production, booming global commerce, and unprecedented material abundance. Well a simple person like me can’t believe that or see it happening. The role of humans as the most important factor of production is bound to diminish in the same way that the role of horses in agricultural production was first diminished and then eliminated by the introduction of tractors. In all three key employment sectors - agriculture, manufacturing, and services, machines are quickly replacing human labour and promise an economy of near automated production by the mid-decades of this century As the new generation of "smart" robots, armed with greater intelligence and flexibility, make their way to the market, manufacturers are far more likely to substitute them for workers because they are most cost effective. It is estimated each robot replaces four jobs in the economy, and if in constant use twenty-four hours a day, will pay for itself in just over one year.  The number of robots is expected to rise dramatically in the coming decades as thinking machines become far more intelligent, versatile, and flexible. Already, millions of workers have been permanently eliminated from the economic process, and whole work categories and job assignments have shrunk, been restructured, or disappeared. Global unemployment has now reached its highest level since the great depression of the 1930s. More  human beings are now unemployed or underemployed in the world. The numbers are likely to rise sharply in future years as millions of new entrants into the workforce find themselves without jobs. Sorry I better stop my raving.. My point is as people find it harder to pay their way, they are more likely to take to the streets and  riot.     

Peatle ...

I don't consider your comments to be a rant, but an honest summation of reality. Hear, hear!

It's impossible to not be cynical about the promises of "better days ahead" by the intellectual elite, because they've been historically wrong pretty much 100% of the time. I've been listening to this pseudo-intellectual, self-righteous twaddle for decades, and all that seems to happen is that the elite get richer out of the working person's pockets.

And I completely agree about the potential increase of street riots by common folk; we'll see more of it as things continue on the current path.

"With, without ... and who'd deny it's what the fighting's all about?" (Pink Floyd's "Us and Them", 1973)