Topic: Acoustic Vs. Electric Technique

For those of you who play both, what if any are the major differences between your acoustic and electric technique?

I tend to do 95% of my practice on an acoustic, so I've been stringing my electrics heavier and heavier to try to replicate the acoustic feel. It's getting to the point where string bending is a challenge and I'm constantly whacking the crap out of the strings, which results in a lot of tension, overplaying and fatigue. I'm playing 11ga heavy bottoms right now and was thinking about moving to 12s.)

I'm now considering reversing that - going to super light strings on the electrics (9ga heavy bottoms), playing way softer and lighter, more economy of motion, and almost treating electric and acoustic like two different instruments, at least from the standpoint of technique.

What do you think? 

Re: Acoustic Vs. Electric Technique

To me electric and a acoustic ate two separate instruments . I would use the lightest string you can that eliminates any buzz. That way your playing and hands would feel better and you could play longer without feeling it as much.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-12-07 18:51:52)

When I first read this question, I thought about my dear wife sometimes asking why I need different guitars. "They're for different music." I'll say, and the subject gets dropped ... for a few months. lol

I'm inclined to think the same as CG about electric and acoustic guitars. They're different instruments that can be used play - not always different music - but to play the music differently. I prefer 10's on an electric, but 12's on an acoustic. I can imagine trying to bend 12's would indeed be a chore requiring substantial hand strength.

And I really like the comment about "economy of motion". As age-related arthritis progresses, both speed and grip strength have decreased. Being efficient with motion is soooo important. I've watched Steve Howe of Yes over the years (now in his early seventies), and even though he's slowed down, he still manages to play most of his classic riffs & licks with a more efficient playing style.

Great topic, BGD!

TF, Steve Howe uses really heavy gauge strings, a fact i saw on Y.T.

my own preference is 9's on electric and 10's on acoustic. i practise mainly on acoustic as i think playing acoustic is harder, fingering wise, and so strengthens my fingers also making it feel easier when playing live. i also find that playing chords on acoustic at the 12th fret (E or A) is murder, so on my Tele it feels so much easier. but that's my opinion and i feel electric and acoustic are two separate species.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

5 (edited by beamer 2018-12-12 22:53:17)

Joe, look for a heavy/light set.  EB and GHS have one.
GHS Custom Boomers Electric Guitar Strings Features at a Glance:
Custom gauge    .010, .013, .017, .DY36, .DY52, .DY60
Roundwound  Nickel-plated steel wrap
Ernie Ball M-steel Electric Guitar Strings Features:
Set of 6 strings
For electric solidbody, hollowbody, and semi-hollowbody guitars
Gauges .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, and .052 for a skinny top and heavy bottom tone
Round wound Super Cobalt Alloy around Maraging Steel hex core wire

I think you will like that.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

As per "Technique"  I use way more barr chords on electric, also the way you hold the notes and slight changes in muting.  I never really think about it.  Most the time I don't really notice a difference other than open v/s barr.  my acoustic gets beat as bad as a electric LOLOL     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

Joe, look for a heavy/light set.  EB and GHS have one.
GHS Custom Boomers Electric Guitar Strings Features at a Glance:
Custom gauge    .010, .013, .017, .DY36, .DY52, .DY60
Roundwound  Nickel-plated steel wrap
Ernie Ball M-steel Electric Guitar Strings Features:
Set of 6 strings
For electric solidbody, hollowbody, and semi-hollowbody guitars
Gauges .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, and .052 for a skinny top and heavy bottom tone
Round wound Super Cobalt Alloy around Maraging Steel hex core wire

I think you will like that.

I love heavy bottoms. I play 11 heavy bottoms now.     

ok - now from the guys that know to those of us who do not

What is the difference in heavy and light strings ?     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-12-13 13:09:42)

TIG ... I expect you're asking vicariously ... good on ya!

The Numbers
The numbers used to describe guitar strings are fractions of millimeters. So when a set is referred to as 0.012 - 0.053, that simply means that the strings in the group of six go from the thinnest (0.012) to the thickest (0.053). The larger the numbers, the heavier a set of strings is considered to be.

The Names
The terms light / medium / heavy (and the in between variations) are used differently for electric and acoustic. For example, a 0.010 - 0.047 set would be considered Light on an electric, but considered Extra Light for an acoustic.

The Sound
Generally speaking, a thinner gauge set is easier to play, but have a thinner / brighter tone. This is great for an electric, because the sound is produced by the string vibrating in the magnetic field on the pickups. In an acoustic however, thin strings produce a thin or tinny sound. A thicker string will require a bit more grip strength, but the guitar will produce a fuller, richer sound.

The Composition
Various metal alloys produce different sound characteristics. And when we come to classical guitar strings (usually nylon or nylon core) the tension is a bigger factor in sound than the actual gauge is. With nylons, the lower - medium tension strings produce a warmer sound, while higher tension strings are brighter.

I hope these brief comments (and this chart for acoustic strings) are helpful:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/522815cce4b0065df0ce828f/t/5a05effd419202674502634b/1510338568356/Screen+Shot+2017-11-10+at+11.28.40+AM.png

Baldguitardude wrote:

I love heavy bottoms.

...and I cannot lie.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

On classical strings it depends some of the brand of strings. In general low tension strings buzz to much, so I use medium tension.  I tired high tension and it took much more pressure on the strings. So when i use Pro Arte strings I used  normal tension as I do now with LaBella 2001 stings.They are much brighter and more mellow than other brands.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I use lighter strings on electric than my acoustic I agree there is a difference between the two, most of my composing is done on an acoustic even recording to a click track that I add electric and bass too. My style of playing is quite different on electric because you can express yourself more with effects and volume control.     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Dusting off this topic...
Going to spend New Year’s Day gauging down from 11-12 heavy bottoms to 9 heavy bottoms. Will use lighter picks, lots more economy of motion and a lighter touch in an effort to improve tone, sustain, and phrasing.