Topic: STRUMMIMG

HI I AM PLAYING A YEAR MY STRUMMING NOT WONDERFUL WITH A PICK
BUT WHEN I STRUM WITHOUT THE PICK I FEEL MORE FOR THE SONG AND MUSIC
I FEEL THE SONG AND I THINK? I PLAY IT BETTER..DO YOU HAVE TO USE A PICK
STRUMMIMG THE GUITAR OR IS THERE ANY GUITAR PLAYERS OUT THERE
THAT DONT USE A PICK ?  I PLAY THE BASS NOTES WITH MY THUMB AND JUST STRUM
THE REST WITH MY NAILS AND THUMB..SO AM I DOING IT RIGHT OR WRONG I HOPE ITS NOT
A SILLY QUESTION ?  ANY VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT THANKS REGARDS JOHN.

smile

Re: STRUMMIMG

use a pick it will come in handy
what your doing isnt wrong but it would more likely be used in some sort of classical or maybe country style but it is all doable with a pick and you will get a crisper sound just keep playing with the pick dont put it down and youll have it in a matter of weeks if that

Its hard to give up something you know might not happen
Its even harder when its everything you ever wanted.

hi there john smile
Ive been playing about four years now, and i think ive come a long way. I remember when i first started i felt more comfortable without a pick also (course i was playing mostly country and gospel so i could just bounce along without any trouble). There's absolutely nothing wrong with that (I know a guy who never uses a pick and he really is a good player), but there ARE a lot of neat tricks and sounds you won't be able to make with your thumb alone.
Strumming rhythym is probly the hardest thing to master when you're learning how to play, and the only way to ever really get a hold of it is to PLAY PLAY PLAY. Keep practicing with AND without a pick, it'll come to  you eventually trust me.

All You Need is Love smile

THANK YOU SO MUCH I WILL TRY THE PICK AND KEEP AT IT YES THE STRUMMIMG
IS THE HARDEST PART REALLY THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO KIND REGARDS JOHN

smile

I prefer using a pick myself but thats just me. A pick is not nesserary. If you are getting the reults you want without a pick... Hey it is all about the enjoyment of the music. If you feel that you want to introduce the use of a pick, it's always an option.

what a long strange trip it's been

THANK YOU YES AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS THE ENJOYMENT
BUT I WILL PRACTICE WITH THE PICK !!!!! BEST OF LUCK
ON YOUR MUSICAL JOURNEY THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

smile

7 (edited by yank 2007-08-31 22:12:16)

Do nylon-string guitars need a pick? Does Willie Nelson use a pick with his nylon string guitar? Anyone know?

I too can play much better with my thumb alone, so I imagine it's the same for most everybody. But using the pick is getting a little easier each time it seems.

Although sometimes it feels like I'm regressing some nights when I practice, when compared to the night before, when using the pick.

But then the next day after that, I seem to be able to use the pick just a little better...two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.

good luck

Hey,

Naah, don't use a pick with nylon strings.  But don't tell Willie I said so.  OK?

Roll right thru the night...

Hey guys, I am just beginning with guitar and have a novice question. How do you know the strum pattern for a song? I mean the "up-down-up" part?" Is there anywhere that gives this or should you just know it?

10 (edited by Zurf 2007-09-03 12:17:40)

Willie Nelson uses a pick on his nylon string guitar.  He's worn a hole right through it.  Martin offered to repair the guitar for him free of charge, but he said he likes the way it sounds and will just keep on keeping on with what he's got. 

I have a nylon string classical guitar as well, upon which I'm playing folk and country tunes mostly.  I am trying to learn fingerpick (though I can't seem to get my thumb to pick a bass line while my fingers work independently on a melody), but I play with a pick sometimes too.  I think of Willie Nelson and his beat up old guitar he loves so well each time I do it.  How he gets the speed he does when he and the band get to jamming on songs like "Bloody Mary Morning" or "Good Hearted Woman In Love With a Good Timing Man" I have yet to understand. 

And one last thing, when I was camping with some friends last month, one of them brought a guitar and was playing.  His fingers got sore and he knew that I had been learning, so he asked me to play a few songs while he took a break.  It was a folk style steel string guitar.  It was FAAAAAAAAAR easier to strum than on my nylon string classical.  When I learned to juggle, I used tennis balls because they're much harder than beanbags, so when I used bean bags things were really simple.  I think learning to strum on a classical is kind of the same thing.  It's harder to learn on, but once you've got it - YOU'VE REALLY GOT IT!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

johnoconnor59 wrote:

HI I AM PLAYING A YEAR MY STRUMMING NOT WONDERFUL WITH A PICK
BUT WHEN I STRUM WITHOUT THE PICK I FEEL MORE FOR THE SONG AND MUSIC
I FEEL THE SONG AND I THINK? I PLAY IT BETTER..DO YOU HAVE TO USE A PICK
STRUMMIMG THE GUITAR OR IS THERE ANY GUITAR PLAYERS OUT THERE
THAT DONT USE A PICK ?  I PLAY THE BASS NOTES WITH MY THUMB AND JUST STRUM
THE REST WITH MY NAILS AND THUMB..SO AM I DOING IT RIGHT OR WRONG I HOPE ITS NOT
A SILLY QUESTION ?  ANY VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT THANKS REGARDS JOHN.

Your rite, its feels more ...... ? I cant explain it

abishop wrote:

Hey guys, I am just beginning with guitar and have a novice question. How do you know the strum pattern for a song? I mean the "up-down-up" part?" Is there anywhere that gives this or should you just know it?

try this thread

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2117