Topic: cant get the strumming right

hi iam playing guitar about a year can anybody help me please
i love all sorts of music i can play about 12-14 chords no problem
its my strumming i seem to cant get that right please help
johnny ireland

smile

Re: cant get the strumming right

hi am playing guitar a year can anybody help me please i love all sorts of music i can play about 12-14 chords ok no problem but its my strummimg i cant seemed to get the strummimg right with my songs can anybody help me out thanks regards johnny ireland

smile

Hi John O'Connor59,

There is a ton of stuff to help you! Read Back on the Acoustic Threads. Loads of helpful stuff there!

Good Luck to you!

Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Johnoconnar. I like you could not get the strum, but after
one year and nine months of practice two to four hours a day
and any free time I can get 'it's startring to come along just fine . Glad my wife has patience and a good sense of humor.
Like I've read here on chordie practice is key.Wish I had of picked up guitar earlier in life. Oh well you gotta start somewhere.

Take Care ...Badeye.

one caper after another

Here's what a friend of mine told me about learning to play guitar.  He's middle aged like me and has been gigging since he was 16 years old. 

First year you play, you're going to suck.
Second year you play, you're going to suck.  Just accept that.
By the end of the second year, you're going to start sounding OK.
By the fifth year, people are going to be disappointed if you didn't bring your guitar. 

Well, that means I've got 16 more months of suck to go.  There's comfort in that for me.  Hope there is for you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Check out this guy's website. I was given this link in another thread. This guy I think can help you with your strum, just by listening to him strum, and he has some videos, too, along with audio files. It's free.

but I think you can also send him songs you want to learn, and he'll send you back a video showing you each step of the strum/song, etc. He does this free, too, but people who pay take precedence if you want him to send you back songs you submit to him.

http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html

Actually, I've only been practicing half an hour every night or every other night for a couple or three months. I too have difficulty strumming, but I listened to the guy on the link strumming Wonderful Tonight, and by god I'm getting at least that song down already.

Good luck, I know how you feel. I sometimes think I'm not musically inclined, or at least not guitar inclined, but the poster above who said it takes a couple of years to be decent settles my mind a bit. I'm 45, and starting late in life, but hey, it's a goal...

One thing I've noticed looking at tabs here and on other sites. Seems like everybody has their own unique way of deciding which chords to use in popular songs. Some song tabs I've seen have completely different chords for the same song, from different people...so go with whatever sounds good to you. The same is probably true with the strumming part, too, meaning there probably isn't one common strum that everybody uses for a specific song. Different people probably have different strums to the same song, as well as different chords.

THANKS MAN !! YES I AGREE WITH ALOT YOU SAID
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO REGARDS JOHN

smile